New- April over August MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, my last thread did not show up due to technical difficuilties.

I am trying to raise my GPA in the next academic year and considering the fact that I will have a full load of classes, I don't think it would be a good idea to try and deal with the MCAT at the same time. Therefore I plan to take the mcat in august 2006 and apply for the entering class of the following year i.e 2007.

Will the fact that I am taking my MCATs in August reduce my chances of getting accepted to a medical school, significantly?

Thankyou, I appreciate any comments, it will help relieve my frustration.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I'll bite;)

If you take the August mcat the same year you apply, it will indeed negatively influence your application. Most schools are rolling admissions, so the earlier you get it in, the more spots are available to you.

That said, if you're on top of your stuff, i.e. you do your amcas early and submit secondaries/committee letter by say end of September, schools will only be waiting for your scores to come out in October. You'll be complete as of mid-October. (At schools that screen for secondaries, you'll be pushed back a bit more.)

Even at the earliest, the April mcaters are complete around August or September, so you lose a month or two. Significant, but not tragic.

I agree with NapeSpikes. It is definetly a signifcant factor in getting in. If you take april, you have a better chance, bottom line. However, I do know one girl who is on top of her game and is already getting secondaries, and she is taking it in august. That being said, the school will still be waiting for her score to make a decision.
I would recommend trying to take courses that will help on the mcat during your mcat studying, such as physiology, genetics, biochem, etc.

I third that with these guys. I was going to take the August MCAT now, in like three weeks away now. But decided against it. Mostly because I am just not prepared. I feel that one month, for me, is not enough time. About it having its setbacks, it most definitely does. But, if that is the risk you are willing to take then go for it. The problem is this, if your stats arent pretty solid, so lets say that you have a 3.4 science gpa and 3.3 overall. And you feel like you can possibly get into med schools (whether it be MD or DO, whatever). You apply before the August MCATs but then you bomb them, like you get 26 and under say. Then you are screwed. Once you are verified with the AMCAS you cant turn back. So, you would have to apply and submit your low MCAT score regardless, and most likely get rejected. 1) low MCAT 2) late applicant.

There are always the exceptions to the rules. But, it is certain a huge gamble. I was about to take that gamble and realized that it was best to take it step at a time. I submitted my apps, spent hundreds of dollars, and then realized that if I do get a low MCAT score, then there would be no turning back from there. So I withdrew them for this year. I got so ahead of myself, and wasted a lot of money.

At least with April MCATs, you have the time to dedicate to MCAT studying throughout an 8 week period. HOWEVER, if you start MCAT studying in June of next year, that gives you two straight months of practice, which I think that is enough, I just dont think that one month is enough.

Goood luck in whatever you decide to do.