New bill addressing rural "pass-through" now in congress

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by toughlife, Jul 31, 2006.

1. toughlife

toughlife Resident
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    July 28, 2006

Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-TX) introduce legislation extending “rural pass-through” to anesthesiologists—Urge your Representative to cosponsor H.R. 5955.

Current Medicare law permits rural hospitals to use more generous Part A “pass-through” funds to employ or contract with CRNAs or AAs only. Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-TX) have introduced legislation that would expand this policy and allow rural hospitals to use pass-through funds to pay for the services of anesthesiologists, as well.

Please ask your Representative to cosponsor H.R. 5955 through the ASA CapWiz site. You may also contact your Member of Congress through the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121.

Medicare normally pays for the services of anesthesia providers under the Part B Physician Fee Schedule. By allowing hospitals to use Part A pass-through payments for anesthesiologists, H.R. 5955 would expand rural patients’ access to anesthesiology medical care.

http://www.asahq.org/news/news072806.htm

As usual, I urge you to contact your reps in congress and support this bill.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SleepIsGood

SleepIsGood Support the ASA !
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    done.
    Perhaps this will motivate more anesthesiologists to work in the "Boonies". People claim that CRNAs are willing to do only the work that anesthesiologists wont do in rural areas...perhaps this will change.

Thanks again Tough.

4. wasatch

wasatch Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am starting residency in 2007. My goal is to work in a rural area. I am originally from Idaho. We don't even have our own medical school there!

5. TheSandMan

TheSandMan Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm a little confused here. are you saying rural hospitals are essentially penalized by medicare for going with anesthesiologists?

6. jwk

jwk CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
    10+ Year Member

That is correct. Although all hospitals have been on a set reimbursement per procedure for years, rural hospitals have been allowed to "pass through" some of the costs of CRNA services, so that it doesn't go against their bottom line. The same rule does not apply to anesthesiologists.

7. Gimlet

Gimlet Cardiac Anesthesiologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for posting these, Toughlife. I don't understand how I always have to hear about these things from you! I'm an ASA Member, but I never get e-mails about this stuff. Is there a listserv or something that I need to be on? I'm not going to check the website every day to see if there's something I should be acting upon.

8. crnacsum

crnacsum New Member

Funny, as a CRNA, I do not find it offensive or unreasonable that anesthesiologists be able to practice in rural areas, so why is it that so many people on this discussion board are threatened by CRNA's? Nurses where the first to provide anesthesia services, ever. We are valuable and well trained. In the hospital where I work, it seems the CRNA's and MD's get along extremely well, so why is there no much animosity on this site? We all have our place in the medical field as long as we all understand it. I would never attempt to practice out of my scope and respect the input I am given.

9. Gimlet

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Funny, when I first saw your username I read it as "crnascum." You may want to rethink that.

I don't think this legislation is about trying to take away CRNA opportunities in rural areas as much as it is rectifying inequities in the reimbursement of anesthsesia providers that actually discourage hospitals from recruiting MDs.

Comments like this are a surefire way to get a flamewar going with some of the more intolerant members of the board. The mods aren't allowing those types of threads anymore, so let's try to keep it civil, mmmkay? No posts in this thread have shown any animosity towards CRNA's...this is simply an issue that could affect anesthesiologists.

10. toughlife

toughlife Resident
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just take a few min everyday to check their website and I am curious by nature. It's early in the am but here I am, reading, checking things online and browsing the news before I hit the shower. It's just habit.

ASA never sends emails about this stuff. They just post it on their website. Maybe they need to be told to notify everyone by email.

11. Gimlet

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They at least need to have a list you can sign up to be on to receive these action-alerts. I appreciate that they don't fill up my inbox with a bunch of e-mails every day, but I would make an exception for this type of thing.