New Budget - 50% cut in GME Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc15

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like the President's new budget calls for a 50% cut in GME funding

see:
http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...-cuts-to-pay-for-two-year-medicare-qdocq-fix-

and

http://www.aacom.org/news/releases/Pages/12-2-10PR.aspx

Question: Does a 50% cut in GME funding translate into a 50% reduction in residency spots?

Members don't see this ad.

It's just a proposal. Unlikely to happen. Wouldn't make sense.

It's just like that 25% cut everyone in practice worrys about every year. They have been threatening to do that for years and have always come up with the money. Some years, they cut it too close for comfort though.

50% is a huge number though. It's unfortunate that this is such an "eccentric" topic that it basically flies right under the radar. If that 50% was in any other field you bet people (i.e. the media) would notice.

The actual budget released today does not include a cut in GME. The posts before were simply quoting the deficit reduction committee ideas.

That being said, cuts in GME funding are only a matter of time.

I largely support Obama, but I fail to see how sacrificing the workforce that provides healthcare (in many cases, the main providers) for literally hundres of millions of people is good economics. Especially when hospitals are notoriously unprofitable enterprises.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul: patients would have to pay higher premiums as hospitals demand increased fees to cover their residents salaries. And you bet that residents' salaries will have to be kept at current levels, because they feasibly cannot get any lower without a revolt of epic proportions for the already minimal payment they get for their degree of education. You think the average law school graduate would accept working 80 hours a week for $40,000?!

So, since Medicare and Medicaid would be subjected to the same budgetary pressures at the federal and federal/ state level, this means that hospitals will deny these vulnerable individuals access to non-emergent health. Who the heck cares then if more people are insured under Obama's health initiative?

America #1! Who cares that we spend twice as much on health as the rest of the industrialized world, but can't cover 1/8th of our population and have non-life style health indices like maternal-fetal health comparable to formerly communist Eastern European countries. It doesn't matter, because haven't you heard we're number 1! YEAAAAAAA!!!

I largely support Obama, but I fail to see how sacrificing the workforce that provides healthcare (in many cases, the main providers) for literally hundres of millions of people is good economics. Especially when hospitals are notoriously unprofitable enterprises.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul: patients would have to pay higher premiums as hospitals demand increased fees to cover their residents salaries. And you bet that residents' salaries will have to be kept at current levels, because they feasibly cannot get any lower without a revolt of epic proportions for the already minimal payment they get for their degree of education. You think the average law school graduate would accept working 80 hours a week for $40,000?!

So, since Medicare and Medicaid would be subjected to the same budgetary pressures at the federal and federal/ state level, this means that hospitals will deny these vulnerable individuals access to non-emergent health. Who the heck cares then if more people are insured under Obama's health initiative?

America #1! Who cares that we spend twice as much on health as the rest of the industrialized world, but can't cover 1/8th of our population and have non-life style health indices like maternal-fetal health comparable to formerly communist Eastern European countries. It doesn't matter, because haven't you heard we're number 1! YEAAAAAAA!!!

:eek:

You are an entitled individual. Do some fact checking. Lawyers are working for $40000 a year. There are more than 200 law school now and the graduate numbers exceed the the traditionally thought of law jobs. Lawyers are hiring other lawyers not as partners but as minions to do their bidding cheaply as there are so many.

Secondly, a prog director is right. It is only a matter of time until GME funding is slashed. And is should be slashed. There is no reason for us to be tied to CMS (medicare, medicaid). They are largely why we have an ailing health system. The other issue is that American's are stupid, because we have permitted a culture of entitlement to fester.

I'm glad that GME funding slashes are coming around the corner. The government, and insurance companies don't care about physicians. They are propagating the notion of "provider" "prescriber" and a Nurse Practitioner is their ideal, under educated 'Yes Man'. When the health system collapses Mid-levels will be pushed out and people will be paying cash for Physicians. We'll make less, but we'll beable to pracitice medicine and not corporate, capitated, instiutionalized check box medicine.

You are an entitled individual. Do some fact checking. Lawyers are working for $40000 a year. There are more than 200 law school now and the graduate numbers exceed the the traditionally thought of law jobs.

I'm glad that GME funding slashes are coming around the corner....When the health system collapses Mid-levels will be pushed out and people will be paying cash for Physicians. We'll make less, but we'll beable to pracitice medicine and not corporate, capitated, instiutionalized check box medicine.

Yes, there are attorney's working for 40k a year, but they are called prosecutors and public defenders. Public servants. They only work 40 hours a week with free weekends. You are right, law schools are a dime a dozen and there are unemployed attorneys. Those lucky enough to find even a public sector job enjoy debt payoffs and a 40 hour work week (my best friend is a Deputy Prosecutor). Per hour worked, we make less than they do, not counting those unemployed.

I really doubt there will be significant GME funding slashes within the next 10 years, largely because I do not believe Medicare/Medicaid will be "fixed". I hope your assessment that "people will be paying cash" is not true, because it sounds like only those with money are receiving medical care.

Bump. Will a 50% cut in GME honestly reduce residency spots by 50%, or even 30%?

The Gang of Six is yet to release its budget plan, and although there is a doctor on that commission (Sen. Tom Coburn), I am nervous about the possibility of residencies being slashed. I really hope they don't make such a stupid decision in light of the projected doctor shortage, in an area of the budget that has already been frozen for 15 years.

Bump. Will a 50% cut in GME honestly reduce residency spots by 50%, or even 30%?

The Gang of Six is yet to release its budget plan, and although there is a doctor on that commission (Sen. Tom Coburn), I am nervous about the possibility of residencies being slashed. I really hope they don't make such a stupid decision in light of the projected doctor shortage, in an area of the budget that has already been frozen for 15 years.

Well, you could have that many fewer funded residency slots, or hospitals could just pay residents less salary and benefits (perhaps at the same time liberalizing a program's moonlighting rules so folks don't starve). Or if a hospital deemed medical training part of its mission it could pitch in funding from another source. Most likely a combo of the above. It's not going to be feasible for every hospital to just say, we need 20 residents to fill all our shifts but we are only funded for 10, so we will just distribute the workload amongst those 10. But you might say let's cut salaries by 30% to fund 3 more people, and lets increase the workload by 10% so we hit our 80 hour/week cap, and lets find private donors to fund a residency slot and pretty soon it's back to the same number of man-hours.

However it works out, if the hospital is getting less money per resident it will have to cut down personnel, salary, benefits and maximize hours to end up in a manageable situation. I don't see it happening radically, but some amount of cuts are certainly possible.

As for the person above who thinks the only lawyers earning $40k/year are public servants, I think you are not well tuned in to the legal employment landscape and probably shouldn't weigh in. Small and mid-sized law firms have tightened belts, but for many years now the average lawyer salary has been pretty low. The gap between big firm and non-big firm lawyers has significantly widened in recent years. It's not really a public servant vs private distinction. Never was.

Well, you could have that many fewer funded residency slots, or hospitals could just pay residents less salary and benefits (perhaps at the same time liberalizing a program's moonlighting rules so folks don't starve). Or if a hospital deemed medical training part of its mission it could pitch in funding from another source. Most likely a combo of the above. It's not going to be feasible for every hospital to just say, we need 20 residents to fill all our shifts but we are only funded for 10, so we will just distribute the workload amongst those 10. But you might say let's cut salaries by 30% to fund 3 more people, and lets increase the workload by 10% so we hit our 80 hour/week cap, and lets find private donors to fund a residency slot and pretty soon it's back to the same number of man-hours.

However it works out, if the hospital is getting less money per resident it will have to cut down personnel, salary, benefits and maximize hours to end up in a manageable situation. I don't see it happening radically, but some amount of cuts are certainly possible.

As for the person above who thinks the only lawyers earning $40k/year are public servants, I think you are not well tuned in to the legal employment landscape and probably shouldn't weigh in. Small and mid-sized law firms have tightened belts, but for many years now the average lawyer salary has been pretty low. The gap between big firm and non-big firm lawyers has significantly widened in recent years. It's not really a public servant vs private distinction. Never was.

This in my opinion is the worst possible scenario for medicine. We have more patients, but this would mean less residents = less doctors.

Legal salaries are highly variable in the private sector. However, unlike medicine, legal salaries are tied in a large part to the prestige of the law school you went. I don't see many harvard or yale law grads that I know of making anything close to 40,000/year. As a potential law student, you are in larger part determining your starting salary by choosing what school you can get into (based on your stats, achievements, ability to pay/loans etc.). So at least you can see some rationale to the pay scale based on what you have done. Residencies are not based on that. You could be the #1 student at a top 10 school and you will paid similarly to someone who finished at the bottom of their med school class and squeeked by their boards. At this time, there is minimal discrepancy in salaries (when factoring in cost of living differences). For this reason, it's tough to make an apples to apples comparison between starting legal salaries and resident salaries. Who knows, maybe resident salaries will become like law salaries where if a institutions wants a top student they pay more and if they take a lower caliber applicant they offer less.

To continue on this tangent. I basically agree with most of this, with a few caveats. I would suggest, however that the bottom of the class at a top 20 school has not actually done anything in recent years that merits earning more than someone who is the top of his more pedestrian law school, so I don't think you can justify it based on saying the first person "earned it". It's about pedigree, nothing more. Not a meritocracy. Law school is 3 years. College is 4. Honestly, the person who achieves in those latter 3 years is going to be the better lawyer than the person who got off to a strong start and college and petered out. But the system has a bit of a bias towards pedigree. It's a lot like the NFL draft actually -- the big name football program guys get drafted, while the superstars at the lower division schools have to hope for lightening to strike. For this reason, most of the big law firms do also look at the top students at "regional" law schools as well as the biggies, because you can often find a diamond in a dung heap. But I agree, where you go is critical in law, and will be the difference as to whether you will have an easy time getting big firm interviews or whether you are going to need to be the top 1% of your class and editor of law review to even get considered. Actually, most of the folks I've known in law actually think that a "residency" program for law, where folks learn the trade and then find a job after they have to some extent proven themselves would make a lot more sense. But I don't see it happening. At any rate, it's the minority of lawyers out there who go to work at the big firms where the starting salary is about $150k. More often you see grads from the other 90% of law schools getting starting jobs in the 40k-70k range. And yes, that's private practice, just at the smaller to mid-sized firms. And that's if they get a job -- there's a glut of unemployed in this field right now, and lots of people doing temp law work to get by.

And if this 50% cut really happens, it will be the death knell of all Caribbean medical students.