colchicine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
Status
Hi,
I am a new CA1 who started a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have any anesthesia background and feel pretty overwhelmed. I would like to know what book to start my readings with. I pretty much narrowed it down to "Baby Miller vs Morgan and Mikhail". Which one would you recommend to start with and why ?
Would you recommend reading both at the same time ? And can tell me the difference between the 2 books ?

I would love to get input from as many people as possible...

Thanx in advance

DreamMachine

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

florisio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Status
Several attendings have strongly recommended Baby Miller, mostly because it is possible to read the whole thing in the first month to get an overall flavor of the field before getting more in depth with a textbook (barash, miller, longnecker etc)

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I found Morgan and Mikhail easier to read than baby Miller. Somehow more fun. Baby Miller seems old and the new Morgan and Mikhail is pretty up to date. Also, Anesthesia Secrets is very good for quick stuff starting out (and the new edition is great). There is a small handbook of anesthesiology out there that is very small, fits in a back pocket of scrubs discretely, and is excellent. I like it better than the MGH handbook.