New Car for OMFS Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSDude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, congratulations on everyone who's matched and is due to start in a month--

For you guys who matched are you buying a new car? I didn't need one because I lived so close to my dental school. I'll definitely need one for residency, tho. Is this the right time to invest in that brand new BMW making my paltry 50 grand/yr? Or should I just find a used pinto to ride around in?

What's everyone else doing? and what has everyone else done?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're still in the 'build-up' stage of your career/life. Why not get the brand new BMW when you can really afford it?

You know what they say. Live like a Doctor when your a student...I think that's pretty much it.

If you want to get the ladies, steer clear of the pinto.

But seriously, do you really need to ask a question like this. Buy a friggin' scooter dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
try one of these...it will save you money and time

Attachments

• senior-scooter.jpg
    senior-scooter.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 153

haha. you're still just a resident. how bout you start paying down those loans or save some money for your downpayment on a house?

No loans? Then why not. Go for it.

Just don't get a porsche, ever. Every orthodontist I know ALWAYS somehow brings into the conversation his porsche. LAME

Every orthodontist I know ALWAYS somehow brings into the conversation his porsche. LAME

thats because a porsche becomes your girlfriend and you feel obligated to include it in everything you do. for some reason the more it knows you talk about it, the better it performs

---

Last edited:
I'm keeping my '97 civic and getting new furniture, etc. for the apartment. If some gal cares about my car when I am still in school she is a *****.

Watch your language you pig. Obviously not married and not going to be even close to dating with that viewpoint.

Watch your language you pig. Obviously not married and not going to be even close to dating with that viewpoint.

:laugh:

I think it's a fantastic viewpoint. If a girl is willing to stick by you with a crappy car, cheap housing, and likely enough debt to bankrupt many families, she is a keeper!

Perhaps poor choice of words but come on...it's the internet...get over it

I'm keeping my '97 civic and getting new furniture, etc. for the apartment. If some gal cares about my car when I am still in school she is a *****.

Good point about being a keeper. But still completely disgusting, to me at least, with this kind of wording. Internet or not. Oh well, if it doesn't offend anybody else then I shouldn't opened my mouth. Sorry.;)

So, are we to understand that "gal" is no longer appropriate internet language?

So, are we to understand that "gal" is no longer appropriate internet language?

You go call a girl "gal". I wasn't brought up to such on the internet or anywhere but thanks smart a@#.

Members don't see this ad :)
---

Last edited:
What's wrong with gal?

Gal isn't all that bad I guess but it sure seems to put women down a bit. Hey, to each his own. I don't claim to be the perfect man but I have my own opinions right? I am done with the gal/***** topic. You who agree w/ such loose titles/name calling obviously care less than I do about treating women w/ the respect they deserve. BACK TO DENTAL RELATED THREADS I GO!

BTW, to the OP, I would totally buy a new car but not a Beemer just yet. You can handle the car payment for a Honda or something w/ that stipend.

wow. talk about a hijacked thread.....

How is your residency set up? Will you make 50k the whole time? I don't want to spend the cash now because I will be starting at 45k my intern year and then drop to 500 a month during the two years of med school (unless I can get a local license and moonlight). Saving up a nest egg during the first year will help me avoid more loans. Now the last three years, that's a different story...

I still don't understand what is profane about "gal", but whatever. It doesn't take much to get most broad's feathers ruffled these days.

I still don't understand what is profane about "gal", but whatever. It doesn't take much to get most broad's feathers ruffled these days.

broad is common verbage around sim lab these days

quite descriptive

How is your residency set up? Will you make 50k the whole time? I don't want to spend the cash now because I will be starting at 45k my intern year and then drop to 500 a month during the two years of med school (unless I can get a local license and moonlight). Saving up a nest egg during the first year will help me avoid more loans. Now the last three years, that's a different story...

Thats a good point. I dont know what Im gonna do when med school comes around.

I never knew the word "gal" was offensive, did you just make that up? Around here the word ***** is even pretty commonplace. In fact in a sentence it commonly follows directly after a much dirtier word.

Dude, I'm from the midwest, i though we were supposed to be the ones who were offended with bad words. I didn't think they had bad words in california.... Go away and don't be late for your Lilith Fair concert.

As far as the topic here goes. I would forgo the expensive marginally gas friendly beemer in favor of some supermilage efficient car like a hybrid camry or turbodiesel jetta. Its cheaper and practically free to drive. Plus it will help you pick up the tree hugging, granola eating chicks who don't shave their legs, those are the girls that gogators likes.

Last edited:
I got a 2000 Porsche Boxster S for $21,500 and I'm an entering D1.

My friends have boring cars that cost much more (and are jealous and talk about my fancy car, despite that mine cost 1/2 of theirs).

friendly beemer in favor of some supermilage efficient car like a hybrid camry or turbodiesel jetta. .

Note that a "beemer" technically refers to a BMW motorcycle, whereas "bimmer" is the correct slang term for a BMW car.

I never knew the word "gal" was offensive, did you just make that up? Around here the word ***** is even pretty commonplace. In fact in a sentence it commonly follows directly after a much dirtier word.

Dude, I'm from the midwest, i though we were supposed to be the ones who were offended with bad words. I didn't think they had bad words in california.... Go away and don't be late for your Lilith Fair concert.

As far as the topic here goes. I would forgo the expensive marginally gas friendly beemer in favor of some supermilage efficient car like a hybrid camry or turbodiesel jetta. Its cheaper and practically free to drive. Plus it will help you pick up the tree hugging, granola eating chicks who don't shave their legs, those are the girls that gogators likes.

Hybrid Camry??? Talk about me going to a Lilith Fair concert???? Little "softy".

Last edited:
Get a Buspass :)

"Invest" in a new car? BMW? Wow.

Get something used and save your money.

I say just don't drive a V8 guzzler and you'll be fine considering contemporary exorbitant gas prices. There is very little that could offend a midwestern (like myself). I'm from the mullet capitol of the world (Indianapolis) and you become a bit desensitized after about 5 years in this environment guaranteed. Certainly a stark difference from the south (my home now) where you could offend someone by calling that thing on the ground a "man-hole cover". :D

Gal isn't all that bad I guess but it sure seems to put women down a bit. Hey, to each his own. I don't claim to be the perfect man but I have my own opinions right? I am done with the gal/***** topic. You who agree w/ such loose titles/name calling obviously care less than I do about treating women w/ the respect they deserve. BACK TO DENTAL RELATED THREADS I GO!

BTW, to the OP, I would totally buy a new car but not a Beemer just yet. You can handle the car payment for a Honda or something w/ that stipend.

Are you sure you aren't a Gal, yourself?