New car out of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least they honored the warranty. Many extended warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And how this dude priced precious time going in and out to dealership?
He is excited, but he is at big loss, actually ...

I literally sat outside the Range dealership in my trade for the longest time on my phone looking up the pros and cons of a Range Rover Sport and in the end I just couldn't do it. They are very cool luxury SUVs but my time is also precious and something WILL go wrong with a Range where it will be out of commission at the dealership. It hurt but I had to drive away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a very bike-friendly university for undergrad (UC Davis might well be THE original poster child for a bikable campus and community)

I will respectfully disagree and counter with UCSB being the premier example of a bikable campus. In fact, I believe it is the same bikes that have been there for the last 40 years and just get recycled repeatedly.

I will however concede that Aggies are the only ones that can consistently out-drink Gauchos.

A recurring quote from the UCSB school paper:
“If only we had gone to Davis - then we could be writing about animal husbandry.”

I saw that... Although I'm taking into account y'all your advices... It's a safe car, fun to drive, cool as heck, and love the updating ota, etc. But the iffy part is the longevity and durability as it is a new car without significant history. Do I want to drain my savings and then some for a 50k ish car, and especially living in the Northeast, where its battery life may be limited due to the cold? Maybe it would be better to get a sport version decked out Camry and wait for the Tesla to show some proof of reliability or used cars to show up on the market in a year while I pound away at loans and building up savings... It's a tough decision to go or hold off on the wow factor...

I saw that... Although I'm taking into account y'all your advices... It's a safe car, fun to drive, cool as heck, and love the updating ota, etc. But the iffy part is the longevity and durability as it is a new car without significant history. Do I want to drain my savings and then some for a 50k ish car, and especially living in the Northeast, where its battery life may be limited due to the cold? Maybe it would be better to get a sport version decked out Camry and wait for the Tesla to show some proof of reliability or used cars to show up on the market in a year while I pound away at loans and building up savings... It's a tough decision to go or hold off on the wow factor...

I still remember when Toyota first came out with their Prius. One of my friend is a super early adopter. He got like incredible tax deduction and 10 years out of that car...... but Toyota did have very very good track record even before Prius.

10 years out of a Prius is nothing, unless he got a great deal when he bought it.

10 years out of a Prius is nothing, unless he got a great deal when he bought it.

Driving a Prius for 10 years sounds terrible. He should consider himself lucky it didn’t last longer.

Reactions: 15 users
Man, life is too short for used cars. My older brother suddenly passed away shortly after he finished his residency. He never got a chance to earn a dime or live a nice life. Death can take any one of us at any time. Get whatever car you want and don't look back.
Absolutely! And if the money runs out before you die, just kill yourself.

I completely understand "seize the day", but wishful thinking has a strong tendency of getting people in trouble, sooner or later.

Reactions: 2 users
Just when I thought your perspective could get no darker, you suggest suicide as a viable solution to being bankrupt, if it ever came to that. I pity you.
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. I suppose you think the honorable way is to first enjoy one's life beyond one's means, then declare bankruptcy and go on welfare. This must be among the top 5 favorite American sports, as the subprime crisis showed us.

Btw, my sarcasm was about your idea of people dying before they had the chance of spending a lot of money (as a surrogate for enjoying life). Who would have thought that the country of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" would devolve into such consumerism and irresponsible spending patterns (just look at our latest budgets and national debt).

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.quora.com/What-effect-d...have-on-the-charge-performance-of-the-battery

Regarding your model 3, there is also that wise rule to never buy a new model/redesign in its first year. I made that mistake once, and every time I drive my wife's car and hear the wind noise (non-existent in the next year's model) I remember it.

If it was sub 30-40k I could justify myself to buy and not feel bad, but at that 50k plus price range I would want something with high reliability and durability. Not gamble and worry about expensive repairs if needed.. if my commute was a killer I can certainly entertain since autopilot would be fantastic but sub 15-20 minute commute is hard to justify except for the cool factor. I really wish car manufacturers could develop apps to remotely control the car, even if ICE or use Tesla design and features to push the envelope

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was sub 30-40k I could justify myself to buy and not feel bad, but at that 50k plus price range I would want something with high reliability and durability. Not gamble and worry about expensive repairs if needed.. if my commute was a killer I can certainly entertain since autopilot would be fantastic but sub 15-20 minute commute is hard to justify except for the cool factor. I really wish car manufacturers could develop apps to remotely control the car, even if ICE or use Tesla design and features to push the envelope
The autopilot has gotten people into bad accidents. Plus one can always charge you with reckless driving, in case of an accident. Autonomous vehicles are not approved for general public use in any state. You shouldn't take your hands of the wheel and your eyes off the road.

Just when I thought your perspective could get no darker, you suggest suicide as a viable solution to being bankrupt, if it ever came to that. I pity you.

Obvious sarcasm geez

Reactions: 3 users
Driving a Prius for 10 years sounds terrible. He should consider himself lucky it didn’t last longer.

Hahahhaha. He got 180K out of it. And no battery change or major work on the car. And who would have thunk, he got another one a few years back. He likes the techy stuff. And i think it played well with cell phones when it first came out. He likes the idea that he’s saving money on gas so he has more money to pay for more gadgets. To each his own.

Ps. He has the money, being a computer engineer for the last 15 years. He also thought about either the Tesla (the real one? Model escapes me at this moment) or the Model 3. But ultimately went against it, with all the same arguments here.

Last edited:
I'm the son and grandson of a doctor. My two older brothers became doctors. I became a doctor. Most of the professionals I know are doctors. I know exactly zero who have gone bankrupt simply from overspending. None.

Get a life, Eyeore.
We get it. You have had a spoiled life, and you behave exactly as expected. Just please don't give out financial advice, not until you went from zero to hero on your own.

Medical doctors are famous for their bad financial decisions. The fact that many of them still have to keep working until retirement age, or beyond, despite their high incomes (especially decades ago, when they could have invested wisely), confirms that.

Reactions: 4 users

Get a GTI. It’s front wheel drive, so all you need is snow tires in the NE. Dollar for dollar, it’s probably the best value in terms of “fun” car. It is German, so long term reliability may be suspect.

Get a GTI. It’s front wheel drive, so all you need is snow tires in the NE. Dollar for dollar, it’s probably the best value in terms of “fun” car. It is German, so long term reliability may be suspect.

You know what they say, once you go German...... Toyota just isn’t fun to drive afterwards. My wife got an Audi, now can’t even convince her to just even test drive a Lexus.

I'm the son and grandson of a doctor. My two older brothers became doctors. I became a doctor. Most of the professionals I know are doctors. I know exactly zero who have gone bankrupt simply from overspending. None.

Get a life, Eyeore.
On the other hand, I'm the first doctor in my family and knows exactly first hand what it looks like to spend beyond your means. As a physician you may have a larger cushion but none of us on here . make professional athlete money so we do have to be somewhat careful in our financial decisions.

I've had nothing resembling a spoiled life. My mother died young from cancer. My brother died young as I said. I worked my way through college. I got an MBA and worked at Merrill Lynch before I went to medical school, which I paid for myself. Lecture me about finances all you wish, but it seems like all you have is decades of living a life of dysthymia to back up your dour perspective on every single topic I've seen you comment on.
I am sorry about your mother and brother. I am also sorry that you don't realize how lucky you have been financially, and how that colors your every decision. You seem to underestimate how much luck has contributed to your success in life. Newsflash: there are tons of people more hardworking and prepared than you, who don't get to do a big-name MBA, that lands them a well-paid job, which allows them to go to medical school etc. Luck favors the prepared, but that doesn't make it less important.

I have been relatively spoiled by life, too, but my mom and my wife haven't. So I have an idea how it feels to be poor, and I saw that happiness is not proportional with one's spending. I have also seen many attendings taking extra calls well into their 50s because they needed the money, simply because they were unable to live within means 99% of Americans would have been happy with. I have also seen many people bitch about their 6-figure incomes, when the problem is not how much they make, but how much they spend. And THAT's what colors MY perspective.

P.S. Back in my twenties, I used to spend every penny of my salary, because I knew I could count on my family. And I consider myself financially spoiled to this day, despite probably making less than what you make 2 years out of residency.

I am sorry about your mother and brother. I am also sorry that you don't realize how lucky you have been financially, and how that colors your every decision. You seem to underestimate how much luck has contributed to your success in life.

I have been relatively spoiled by life, too, but my mom and my wife haven't. So I have an idea how it feels to be poor, and I saw that happiness is not proportional with one's spending. I have also seen many attendings taking extra calls well into their 50s because they needed the money, simply because they were unable to live within means 99% of Americans would have been happy with. I have also seen many people bitch about their 6-figure incomes on these forums, when the problem is not how much they make, but how much they spend. And THAT's what colors MY perspective.
I do imagine that some of the big spenders here and probably somewhat happy with their jobs (or very early in their career and THINK they are happy with their job) and maybe can actually see themselves working until they're 70. I personally don't feel that way about my job (note I'm calling it a job and not a career) therefore I'm just a bit more careful with money because I know someday when I want to scale back and they say "No" I need to be ready to toss my apron and walk out of the door.

Either that or they live in low COL areas and maybe money isn't really and issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t you have some better way to channel your unending river of cynicism? Like telling a Kindergarten class there is no Santa Claus? Or lecturing people about the virtues of being a devout atheist?

My father and grandfather were doctors... in the Soviet Union. The Chelyabinsk Oblast. You don’t think I know poverty? I lived just a few kilometers from the Kyshtym nuclear disaster. Hope got us out of that country and to America. Perseverance is what got me through school and through my family’s deaths.

Cynicism is not just depressing. It’s lazy.
You win, you poor immigrant who got to do an MBA and medical school in America, without luck having anything to do with it.

Btw, since you've been wondering why you are having trouble finding yourself a partner anesthesiologist, I suggest looking in the mirror.

Get a GTI.

Yup. That's what I'm currently driving, and it's more fun than you should be allowed to have for 27K. I went for the base model 'cuz I wanted the plaid interior. Ya, an M3/4 is faster, but not 3x as fast. Plus I can fit 4 full size adult humans in it comfortably, and even can truck around my family of 5 in a pinch.

This thread gets me thinking. We spend the first 30 years of our lives trying to become doctors. Then the next 20 years trying to quit. Seems like those first 30 years could have been better spent for some.

I love being a doctor. It’s literally a dream come true. Happy to keep working til I drop dead in my scrubs. I like the mountains and skiing but when I go on a beachy vacation I sometimes feel like I’m wasting my time. Heck many of my vacations I’m still doing anesthesia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I love being a doctor, too. I just hate what the job has degraded into. It's probably because I am rarely working solo nowadays; I feel like I am mostly just running around all day long. I still enjoy the ICU though.

Even there, the status of the physician has degraded tremendously since I went to medical school many years ago, which probably explains why more and more physicians dream about leaving medicine. We used to be independent professionals, and now we are treated somewhere between corporate employees and children, told what to think, what to do, what and HOW to say etc. while being still used as malpractice and billing scapegoats, and paid less and less for more and more work and stress.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my younger self not to come to the US. I can only imagine the NHS being worse for doctors, in any developed country.

Since this is a car thread I’ll tell the story of one of our plastic surgeons.

He is 73, soon to be 74, married once later in life and has no kids. He takes q1 call sewing up people who were injured doing imprudent things late at night. We joke that he has 9pm block time. When I ask him if he’s ever gonna retire, he replies, “what would I do if I retire?”

He also told me his perspective on cars which is that he will never pay more than $5000 for a car. His newest car is an ‘87 or ‘88 BMW 3 series convertible that he bought maybe 20 years ago from one of my partners. He also has a mid 1980’s Mercedes 300cd that he bought from one of the ER docs. He bought that beauty about 2 years ago to replace an ‘82 Mercedes 300D. Average age of his cars is over 30 years and average price paid is under $5000. Obviously he is not doing it in order to retire early.

On top of this, he has a 75yo brother who is also a local plastic surgeon with a primarily cosmetic practice. They are both still working and both very vibrant.

There’s the ability to retire at your desired standard of living means you can work how you want to. The desire to do q1 call is different than lifestyle choices forcing you to.

Man, we've had some historically obnoxious people on this forum in the 12 years since I've been on SDN, and I think I've only put maybe 2 or 3 people on Ignore, but apparently this Section31 fellow is one of them. Can't even remember why I blocked him.

I know the going rule of thumb is to live like a resident for a period of time after residency to build up savings/pay off loans, etc. Is it worth buying a nice car as the only reward for finally being done? Thinking about Tesla (only because $7500 tax refund will be running out by end of year), or atleast a good quality used car. I figured before having a family and then never enjoying life when all the money will go towards kids, it would be nice to have 1 vice, especially in a dual income household. Never know when the grim reaper will show up, it would be nice to enjoy life a little bit too instead of bracing for the sky to fall forever. We definitely will try to shore up all the retirement accounts and maximize loan repayments as feasible of course as well.

Do it.

as long as you have your life under control and can control your spending, its not a big deal. the key is to live frugally. buying a car out of residency doesn't mean you aren't frugal. just dont buy a car every year. A good car should be able to last you years!

Like others said it also depends on what your goals are. a lot of people here say it's not advised but they may have different goals! do you want to retire early? I know people who dont, their plan would be vastly different.

I live in NY where cost of living is high, and salary is low. Plenty of anes only make 300k a year, and pay rent (usually around 3-5k for a 1 bedroom), and have higher taxes. these people end up doing fine too. all depends on expectations and goals

This thread gets me thinking. We spend the first 30 years of our lives trying to become doctors. Then the next 20 years trying to quit. Seems like those first 30 years could have been better spent for some.

Isn’t that what every person tries to do (with numbers reversed for non-doctors, of course)? Who decided that pursuing non-career interests before the age of 65 is considered “retiring early?” However, I think the early retirement movement is a lot more complex than simply the desire not to work. I think achieving earlier financial independence is a better descriptor for the current trend. Many of us were beginning our adult lives during one of the worst recessions in our history. Conventional wisdom like real estate being a safe way to build wealth no longer applied. We’ve seen an economy that can change for the worse in an instant. Jobs are tenuous even in fields like healthcare where corporate consolidation can cause traditionally safe jobs to be lost. I like to think of the the “retire early” movement more as doomsday prep for the modern age. You never know when your anesthesia group is going to be booted out and your non-compete clause is going to prevent you from earning a living in the town where your kids are growing up, so you might as well be prepared. If the ability to slow down a career earlier and pursue outside interests is a side effect of that then all the better.

This of course is more of a commentary on the “FIRE” movement stuff independent of healthcare specific trends like the increasing regulatory burden and corporate production pressures that have made a career in medicine somewhat unpleasant.

I think cars tend to bring up conversations of financial independence because fiscal responsibility is a learned habit. Buying an $80k car fresh out of residency is not a good way of developing that habit.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol this thread started with a simple post by the OP stating that he's thinking of buying a decent ride as a new attending, maybe even used, while funding his retirement accounts and quickly paying off his loans. He even stated that he's in a dual income household. People here start going ape**** and lecturing us all on money management without having any clue how much he makes or his partner makes or what part of the country he lives in. Anecdotes about such and such. Why do idiots love telling people how they should live and what they need to be doing? Just give your two cents if you need to and move on and go back to your business

Lol this thread started with a simple post by the OP stating that he's thinking of buying a decent ride as a new attending, maybe even used, while funding his retirement accounts and quickly paying off his loans. He even stated that he's in a dual income household. People here start going ape**** and lecturing us all on money management without having any clue how much he makes or his partner makes or what part of the country he lives in. Anecdotes about such and such. Why do idiots love telling people how they should live and what they need to be doing? Just give your two cents if you need to and move on and go back to your business
You...realize this is the internet right?

Reactions: 5 users

Ummm... Because he came on the internet and ASKED for advice???? Nobody told him to buy a $4000 hoopty. Folks were just telling him that, perhaps, blowing $60k on a new car might be a bit premature. Hey, whatever turns him on....

I think OP wanted the wiseguy parts, too. That's why he included "out of residency" in the title.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who's the biggest idiot of them all?

to answer the bold/underlined:
because the original poster ASKED!

There's lots of opinions here, but I think a middle of the road/median answer for the OP is:
If you have the money after residency to buy a nice ride and you value such a purchase, go for it.
If you don't have the money -- that is, the CASH immediately -- then don't buy the car. Who in the right mind would "purchase" an immediately-depreciating pleasure if they didn't have the money? Would you buy a candy bar if you didn't actually have $1 to spare? Would you get a loan for the Snickers?...or would you buy rice and beans with your cash?
If you (OP) are in such a wonderfully (potentially) great financial state, just wait a year being an attending an buy the car with cash (or a 0% loan).

HH

I believe he said he lives in the Northeast.

What about the Chevy Volt? It seems like a nice warm up to EVs, nice to have a gas engine and more affordable than Model 3. Comma.ai is a nice thing that can be added too to make it almost Tesla ish

What about the Chevy Volt? It seems like a nice warm up to EVs, nice to have a gas engine and more affordable than Model 3. Comma.ai is a nice thing that can be added too to make it almost Tesla ish
That's a hybrid with a 50-mile independence. Honestly, I am not sure if it's worth the headache, unless you have a 20-mile or shorter commute. For similar money, I would buy a Camry hybrid (if you like having an electric engine for city driving), or an Avalon hybrid (if you want fancy), and never look back.

The Toyota hybrid platform is excellent, thoroughly tested and proven by the NYC taxi market. If you live in one of the (CARB) states that have adopted the California emissions standards (many of them in the Northeast), your low-emissions system (which includes the hybrid battery) is warranted up to 10 years/150,000 miles (http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_WarrantyBulletins/Toyotapolicyca_12-111.pdf).

"Defect and Performance warranty coverage for all emissions components is 15 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service, date, whichever occurs first.

The Hybrid Vehicle Battery is warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date, whichever occurs first. (Note: The Hybrid Vehicle Battery is also part of the Hybrid Vehicle System).

Other states that have adopted California Emission Coverage are Arizona (starting with 12MY), Connecticut (starting with 05 MY), Maine, Maryland (starting with 11MY), Massachusetts, New Hampshire (05MY – 09MY), New Jersey (starting with 05MY), New Mexico (10MY – 11MY), New York, Oregon (starting with 08MY), Pennsylvania†(starting with 08MY), Rhode Island (starting with 05MY), Vermont and Washington† (starting with 09MY)."

My friend has a Volt and he uses it as his daily commuter. He puts gas in it 3 times a year. Rarely has to buy gas and no range anxiety so it works for him.

Man, we've had some historically obnoxious people on this forum in the 12 years since I've been on SDN, and I think I've only put maybe 2 or 3 people on Ignore, but apparently this Section31 fellow is one of them. Can't even remember why I blocked him.

I agree with everything Section31 said about FFP. Does that guy actually work for a living? Or is he just this board’s resident succubus?

The fact is, you need a bully to stand up to a bully. Section31 may not be the hero we asked for, but he’s the hero we need.

FFP should be banned.

I think OP wanted the wiseguy parts, too. That's why he included "out of residency" in the title.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who's the biggest idiot of them all?

You.

I agree with everything Section31 said about FFP. Does that guy actually work for a living? Or is he just this board’s resident succubus?

The fact is, you need a bully to stand up to a bully. Section31 may not be the hero we asked for, but he’s the hero we need.

FFP should be banned.
I mean I get that it's Friday, but it still seems a little early to have been drinking already, no?

I don't agree with everything @FFP says, but he is an active member of the community whose thoughts I would wager almost all of us here value.

You've been a member for 7 years, but have 10 posts, 2 of which were these last two gems. Maybe you should calm down and be more active yourself?

Reactions: 3 users
The ignore function on this forum makes for a pleasant experience. Every now and then I click on the “view ignored content” icon of a thread and get reminded why I “ignore” certain people.

I literally sat outside the Range dealership in my trade for the longest time on my phone looking up the pros and cons of a Range Rover Sport and in the end I just couldn't do it. They are very cool luxury SUVs but my time is also precious and something WILL go wrong with a Range where it will be out of commission at the dealership. It hurt but I had to drive away.
I'm looking to replace my residency beater car (I'm not even going to say what it is because it's so embarrassing) and recently spent a day reading what felt like every online review, forum post, etc about the Range Rover bc it's always been my dream car....but yeah, I agree. Think I'm going to go with a 4-runner instead.