New Child Neurology Residency Program (5 year categorical program) Geisinger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAnneMorse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am the program director of a brand new child neurology residency program (literally received ACGME approval this week).
For those who don't know about this type of training. It is a 5 year program (1st 2 years peds last 3 years adult and peds neuro). At the end of 5 years you can take peds boards (but don't have to) and you take neuro boards. You then are credentialed as a board certified neurologist with special qualifications in child neuro. You apply to the program from medical school (as opposed to peds subspecialties where you match peds first and then during peds training you apply for subspecialty). I know it seems weird, but it is because peds neuro is technically a neuro subspecialty (hence the neurology credentialing and option to take peds boards).

I am coming here with 2 goals in mind:
1. Let you all know we exist (Geisinger, Janet Weis Children's Hospital)

2. Ask for feedback on what are the most important characteristics of a program that you are applying to.

As a background about me: I am a clinician researcher that also does a lot of work with industry partners and the innovations/digital transformation teams at my center. One of my goals is to train future physicians that can be more nimble than only being proficient at patient care. I believe this will help my trainees increase their marketability after training and expose them to novel healthcare delivery strategies that they can implement in future positions. Obviously, also make sure they have an excellent academic experience and exposure to Research and QI.

But what else do you as a medical student want to know about? What is important to you?
Also what is the best way to get the message about my program : )

Thanks Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.