PhD/PsyD New Clinical PhD Program: Mississippi State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone. I wanted to make you aware of a new clinical PhD program that is now accepting applications. If you have any questions about the program please feel free to either post them in this tread or send them back channel. Full disclosure: I am affiliated with the program discussed below.

We are pleased to announce a new doctoral concentration in Clinical Psychology at Mississippi State University (we have an existing Applied Cognitive Science concentration at the doctoral level).

We will be admitting a small class to begin in Fall 2014. We have a February 1st deadline but will review applications for our new Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology that arrive after that date as best we can. Interested students should complete an application at http://www.grad.msstate.edu/prospective/admissions/domestic/ and indicate that they are applying for the Applied Psychology Doctoral Program with a Clinical Psychology concentration. The Carnegie Foundation has classified MSU as a Research University with Very High Research Activity and is a land grant institution. Given we are a new program, we are going to consider applications that arrive after the February 1st deadline as best we can.

If students believe their application will arrive after February 1st, please have them send unofficial copies of transcripts/GRE scores/personal statements to the DCT - Dr. Kevin Armstrong ([email protected]) - 662-325-7657. Importantly – have the students ask recommenders to please send a copy of their letter to Dr. Armstrong as well as to submit it electronically through the on-line MSU admissions system.

Students/recommenders should use this physical address for mailing copies of materials expected to arrive after Feb 1st:

Dr. Kevin J. Armstrong
Director of Clinical Training
110 Magruder Hall
255 Lee Blvd
Mississippi State, MS 39762-6161

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've ever seen a clinical program with zero female faculty. Interesting. Is there a plan to hire additional faculty (some of whom perhaps could be women) for this new program soon?

It is rare to see, I agree. It is something we are quite aware of and we do hope to increase the diversity (and number) of our clinical faculty in future years. There are core female faculty members in other areas that have accepted clinical students in recent years, with the most recent examples being Dr. Colleen Sinclair and Dr. Kristina Hood.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is rare to see, I agree. It is something we are quite aware of and we do hope to increase the diversity (and number) of our clinical faculty in future years. There are core female faculty members in other areas that have accepted clinical students in recent years, with the most recent examples being Dr. Colleen Sinclair and Dr. Kristina Hood.

It's good to know that the faculty are thinking about working toward being representative.

Meanwhile, can you clarify the "concentration" definition? As it stands, this would be a non-accreditation-eligible concentration within an "applied psych" doctoral program? What sort of clinical training is available (I cannot tell from the site), and is the plan to eventually become a regular accredited clinical doctoral program?

For context, I'm a faculty member who is always on the lookout for strong options for students who are interested in clinical doctoral programs.

Likewise, I always appreciate when other faculty members are looking out for their students. Where one goes for graduate school is a very important decision, and being able to provide informed mentorship is a priceless gift to your students.

As we are a new program, it is true that we are not currently accredited, as one must have students complete one's program to obtain accreditation. However, we plan on applying for accreditation when we are eligible to do so. Our concentration is under a degree that is eligible for accreditation. We will operate under a scientist-practitioner model of training.

I hope this information is helpful, and I hope you will consider recommending our program to your students.

I'm a graduate student at a program/school just a little south of you. Good to see another program at a strong school in our state!

I would also recommend this program/department.

Thanks GoPokes and erg923, we appreciate your support. GoPokes, we hope that this will also help strengthen our connections with your program down south. As you likely know, our department head is Mitch Berman, who was on faculty at Southern for a long time. He is in favor of us collaborating more with the school down south, and I recently published a paper with one of the faculty members down at Southern.

It's not cause it just started. It used be a terminal masters program in clinical.

Good afternoon, everyone. I wanted to make you aware of a new clinical PhD program that is now accepting applications. If you have any questions about the program please feel free to either post them in this tread or send them back channel. Full disclosure: I am affiliated with the program discussed below.

Is there any type of funding offered for students who are admitted into the program?

Hi Gratitude, great question. We currently offer tuition waivers and stipends to most if not all of our master's students (we currently fund 100% of our clinical master's students) and we are planning on continuing this with our doctoral students. We are still working out how much funding we have and how large of a class we will take, but it is our intention to provide most if not all doctoral students with a tuition waiver and stipend.

I don't think I've ever seen a clinical program with zero female faculty. Interesting. Is there a plan to hire additional faculty (some of whom perhaps could be women) for this new program soon?

Following up on this post, I wanted to mention that Dr. Kristina Hood is now a core member of the clinical psychology faculty. http://www.psychology.msstate.edu/people/index.php

Can your wife teach my wife how to be supermom, or at least a mom with superior outcomes? :)

Can your wife teach my wife how to be supermom, or at least a mom with superior outcomes? :)

I am not sure that we can improve upon your wife, she very well may already be supermom :).

I should mention that the post above was not the driving force that caused the change, but I was happy to be able to come back and report that our core clinical faculty has grown and become more diverse. It is really fun and exciting to see our program strengthen and grow.