SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

New D.O schools= No new Residencies

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Pansit, May 8, 2007.

1. Pansit

Pansit 5+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    So I have heard a lot of complaints about new schools opening without increasing the number of AOA residencies in all fields of medicine. My question is that, are we jumping the gun on this criticism? If new schools are opening up now, that means they wont be graduating their first class until four years from now, could the AOA possibly increase/improve their current residency programs by this point. Maybe in the next couple of years we will see new programs pop up or old programs improve...or are all these criticisms justified and no new residencies will pop up at all? Do we know that the AOA is not looking into this problem at all?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    check out the AOA's blogs...they are definitely looking at the problem....who knows if anything will get taken care of....but they are definitely well aware of these problems

4. Pansit

Pansit 5+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Thats good to know that they are at least looking into it because I have read so many posts stating the AOA has no idea whats going on...etc. If they see it a big problem then I dont see why things could not get done.

5. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    This is from an article I posted that ran in The DO a couple weeks ago.

While it seems that they are aware of the issues about GME, they also hint that there are more schools on the way. I find the part of his statement that they chose to quote kind of interesting, "morally and ethically obliged" to provide GME...shame it doesn't say "financially"...:rolleyes:

6. Pansit

Pansit 5+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    How are ACGME residencies funded?...through the government? Cant the AOA get a piece of that pie...or is the fact that DO's can apply for ACGME residencies some sort of payoff...I mean why finance AOA residencies if half of DO's go to ACGME residencies (I mean I guess that is a reasonable reason why they would not put more money into the AOA)

7. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    Valley hospital is Touro-nv's main hospital
    http://www.valleyhospital.net/index.php?PageID=310
    "Valley Hospital's Medical Education Department took its first class of 25 interns and residents in July, 2006. Twenty-one OGME 1 and four OGME 2 positions in Family Practice, Internal Medicine and Traditional Rotating Internship comprised our first class. They represent ten osteopathic colleges from around the country, and show diverse cultures and backgrounds.

Our Dermatology residency program was approved in August and our first resident started in September. We have applied for an Ophthalmology residency and expect to receive approval in early 2007. It is recommended to do a rotating internship at Valley Hospital Medical Center to maximize the opportunity for acceptance into either the Dermatology or Ophthalmology(pending approval) programs.

Other residency programs, as well as fellowships, are being considered and developed. Our Internal Medicine residents are likely candidates to fill future fellowship positions." Fellowships in Cardiology, GI, and Pulmonary/Critical Care are planned beginning in 2008 "

And Touro-NV hasn't graduated a class yet.
    Looks like some schools are on the ball

8. UIC Killa

UIC Killa EM ES ONE 5+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2006
    sounds great...why all the fuss? maybe it's just SDN phobia...:laugh:...if you give them the time, things will get done...maybe we will have the right to be angry if in 5 years we have 10 more DO schools and nothing has changed

9. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2005
    AOA residencies are funded the same way that ACGME residencies are...federally. I don't know exactly how it works, but Medicare funding is what goes to cover residents salaries (if you can even call them that for 80 hours q week). I attached a link w/ an interesting discussion of Medicare funding of GME: http://www.acponline.org/journals/news/mar99/atrisk.htm

I didn't have time to read the entire article, but did see that it is an interesting discussion that shows that hospitals actually benefit from being able to have residency training. Somewhere it mentions this stat that I have seen elsewhere before; One less resident saves the hospital $40K in salary, but cuts the Medicare funding by $100K. Interesting...wish I had more time to look into it.