1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

New DAT Prep Course offered by UMKC School of Dentistry

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by umkc09, Jan 2, 2009.

1. umkc09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just found out about a new DAT Prep Course being offered by UMKC School of Dentistry. Apparently, it's a totally new course that has been developed by their professors and will be taught by professors as well.

It's a live online course so you don't have to drive to UMKC School of dentistry anymore, which is nice :).

I've taken the Kaplan course and it didn't help me very much. I don't know if this will help me either, but it's a third the price of Kaplan and I don't have to be confused by the Kaplan people that they've hired right out of college.

We'll see how it goes. I'll let you all know if it's worth it or not.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. umkc09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  4. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    meh... its only useful for those who need that extra leg up. dont expect the course to be useful if u have a strong foundation already.

the price is pretty competitive, but i doubt they are giving any texts and tests like kaplan.

i say invest the $ in destroyer, topscore, etc

5. suhshi

7+ Year Member

Dentist

course comes with topscore
    i believe

but seems like theyre goin to do a quick review of each subject in like 4 hours
    i dont think it would be efficient

6. umkc09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It does come with Topscore and it is a review course, but aren't they all?

At this point in the game, we're all looking to fine tune our knowledge of Biology, Gen. Chem, Org. Chem and Math. If you don't know it pretty well by now, you're in trouble and no course, short of taking the basic undergrad courses over again, is going to help you.

Besides, I want someone who's knowledgeable about these subject matters, not some recent grad who's barely got a grasp on SN1 and SN2 reactions to explain it to me. You're talking about professors who have experience in both their respective fields and the actual lecturing process.

It might be worthless, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything to improve my score.

7. LNinlove

LNinlove Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UMKC09 How is the class going? Do you think it is worth it?

8. umkc09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The class went well. The professors really knew their stuff. I should have asked more questions.

9. Thundercatz

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The Kaplan online material is great.

If you can master the Kaplan and Destroyer stuff as well as review the Topscore and Achiever tests, you will be all set.

That is all I used and I got 20+ on all the science sections.