UFRalo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2009
FL
Status
Dentist
...and rumor has it USF will open one in Tampa/St. Pete. This is awesome news for the future of Florida dentistry.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
Things could change by the year 2015. The announcement might be a tad bit early at this point. I remember when my school received funding from Delta Dental several years ago to build a dental school in 2010. It never happened. An AEGD program was opened instead.

txlonghorn

5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I hope they don't open up. Dentist are already pushing back retirement and more states are adapting DHAT midlevel providers.

Apr 25, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
very funny...I just called this school LECOM dental school, and because on the website I didn't find any useful admission information...so I called...and I don't if there is only one lady would answer the phone...but her attitude is like ****...when I asked her how many students the school is planning to take for year of 2012, she just said 100. I then asked her that how many rec letters do we need to apply, she said: two." I then asked: oh like one from a professor and one from a dentist?? and she said: no, both from professors. I was surprised about her answer because most of the school would prefer to see a letter from a dentist but this lady said: we don't care the letter from dentists. we need letters from professors." ----I was almost knocked over on the couch....maybe you can't feel what I felt right now...but if you try to call you will know what I am saying

I don't know what the hell got into her...she doesn't represent this new D-school very well I guess and with the cold attitude...I don't know...and this school is PBL based which means you learn everything on your own...USC does that right?? but anyways...just a little something I want to share~! good luck guys~!!!!

Doc Smile

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Library
Status
Dental Student
...and this school is PBL based which means you learn everything on your own...USC does that right?? but anyways...just a little something I want to share~! good luck guys~!!!!
Indiana University School of Dentistry is finally[!!!!] getting rid of PBL. We have a 2-3, or 4 maybe :\, transition period of phasing PBL out. Now we call it CTS, Critical Thinking Skills, as we phase out PBL.

But, we never were a full PBL school. It does suck though! We had to teach ourselves almost everything about antibiotics... PBL is pretty much the worst thing ever invented.

dantemac

5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Dental Student
Yeah who knows about this school. Also think about location. NOVA has clincal problems in the Miami-Dade-Ft Lauderdale area. Will Bradenton have the same problem?