New dental school at LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boat on the Chesapeake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just FYI for future applicants, apparently LECOM will be opening a new dental school in 2015 in Erie, PA and one at their Bradenton, FL campus in 2012. Also heard about this from friends who teach at and attend LECOM.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101118/NEWS02/311179885/-1/ETN

Members don't see this ad.

...and rumor has it USF will open one in Tampa/St. Pete. This is awesome news for the future of Florida dentistry.

Things could change by the year 2015. The announcement might be a tad bit early at this point. I remember when my school received funding from Delta Dental several years ago to build a dental school in 2010. It never happened. An AEGD program was opened instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they don't open up. Dentist are already pushing back retirement and more states are adapting DHAT midlevel providers.

very funny...I just called this school LECOM dental school, and because on the website I didn't find any useful admission information...so I called...and I don't if there is only one lady would answer the phone...but her attitude is like ****...when I asked her how many students the school is planning to take for year of 2012, she just said 100. I then asked her that how many rec letters do we need to apply, she said: two." I then asked: oh like one from a professor and one from a dentist?? and she said: no, both from professors. I was surprised about her answer because most of the school would prefer to see a letter from a dentist but this lady said: we don't care the letter from dentists. we need letters from professors." ----I was almost knocked over on the couch....maybe you can't feel what I felt right now...but if you try to call you will know what I am saying

I don't know what the hell got into her...she doesn't represent this new D-school very well I guess and with the cold attitude...I don't know...and this school is PBL based which means you learn everything on your own...USC does that right?? but anyways...just a little something I want to share~! good luck guys~!!!!

...and this school is PBL based which means you learn everything on your own...USC does that right?? but anyways...just a little something I want to share~! good luck guys~!!!!

Indiana University School of Dentistry is finally[!!!!] getting rid of PBL. We have a 2-3, or 4 maybe :\, transition period of phasing PBL out. Now we call it CTS, Critical Thinking Skills, as we phase out PBL.

But, we never were a full PBL school. It does suck though! We had to teach ourselves almost everything about antibiotics... PBL is pretty much the worst thing ever invented.

Yeah who knows about this school. Also think about location. NOVA has clincal problems in the Miami-Dade-Ft Lauderdale area. Will Bradenton have the same problem?