New dental school at VA tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard about the VA tech campus setting up a dental program for next year? My wife said she heard this when she was visiting the area.

Members don't see this ad.

They've been talking about it for awhile. I think it's going to be associated with VCOM which is not in Blackburg?? Don't really remember, but yeah! New Dental School! Cool!

Word on the street is that North Carolina is trying a similar thing at NC State. Unfortunately, they are struggling to find professors to teach there. The idea with the school is to remain small by only admitting a few NC residents and to encourage them to remain the the Eastern Carolina region, which is very dentally underserved. I don't know what the deal is at VA Tech, but I think there is always talk of schools opening everywhere, it just takes a lot to get them going. My family dentist said he and alumni have been pushing for years to have Georgetown re-open, but they still talk like it could happen tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street is that North Carolina is trying a similar thing at NC State. Unfortunately, they are struggling to find professors to teach there. The idea with the school is to remain small by only admitting a few NC residents and to encourage them to remain the the Eastern Carolina region, which is very dentally underserved. I don't know what the deal is at VA Tech, but I think there is always talk of schools opening everywhere, it just takes a lot to get them going. My family dentist said he and alumni have been pushing for years to have Georgetown re-open, but they still talk like it could happen tomorrow.

Heard they will open one @ ECU. More dentists good for people but bad for dentists...more competition and possibly a decrease in salary.

yea i also heard about tech getting a dental school..not sure where i heard that from or how reliable that is or when it's supposed to happen...

NC State....uhhh I'm pretty sure they arent thinking about making a dental school there lol (I go to school in NC). Im not 100% sure bout NC State...however Easr Carolina Universrity is defintly making one and that has been in the talks for awhile now....

blacksburg seems like a somewhat rural area and not in a big city like most other dental schools, so to me opening a dental school at vt would be unlikely

There are plans in the works for a dental school at VT; it was actually supposed to have its first class this fall. Unfortunately, lack of funding and a problem finding faculty has pushed the project back. Last I heard(late fall) was that it would be at least another couple of years as they haven't even broken ground on a building.

As of right now there are plans for there to be a new dental school at East Carolina. The first class will probably start either in 2010 or 2011. Their mission statement is very similar to that of medical school- to provide primary care to eastern NC (in this case, mainly pedo and general)

Wow, your wife said that, huh? you two sound like a smart couple...

Duh, I meant Eastern Carolina. I realized what I said as soon as I walked away from the computer last time.