New Dentist physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If dentistry and medicine can offer a dual degree in five years. Why can't there be the MD, DO dual degree for five years. I think I would be interested in that program if it existed. Clearly it can, but I assume the AOA doesn't want it to happen.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2007/03/26/prsc0326.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Well, since you haven't started medical school yet, I can't expect you to understand. If you were an MS-1 or above asking this, I'd bop you on the head just for asking, but since you are MS-0, I forgive you.

The reason why it's a ridiculous proposal is because the only significant difference in curriculum between the MD and DO degree is around 2-3 hrs of OMM lab and 1-2 hrs of OMM lecture per week for two years. There may be some differences in emphasis, but the curriculum is essentially identical, besides the OMM. Therefore, having a dual degree program would be dumb. There's no reason to have it on a practical level since either one is sufficient to be a physician and essentially teach the same things, w/ the exception of OMM. Why would you want to add an extra year for no reason? You are a physician either way you go.

I have no idea how they will do that program in 5 years. That must be hell. I have NSU's DO/DMD curriculum organization and it seems like a very busy 6 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
If dentistry and medicine can offer a dual degree in five years.
The dentist/physician is probably one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard and I hope the general public can realize the danger that comes from this idea. Worrying about whether or not that headache is just a migraine or a CVA vs TIA is a little much while you are trying to drill the persons tooth and counsel on dental hygiene habits.:scared:

I don't get it. The Case MD/DDS and NSU DO/DMD programs may be horrible ideas, but at least they have a point. To create a hybrid practitioner with extra skills... a primary care doctor who can provide dental services or a dentist who can offer basic primary care services.

What would be the point of a DO/MD in five years? To create a physician who is also a... physician? They have the same skills and same scope of practice. An MD who wants to add OMM skills can get CME training in this.

To me it's kind of like asking for a five-year DMD/DDS. What's the point?

i don't think the combined degree makes any sense. Your medical education is shortened b/c u don't get to do a residency, which is where the "Real learning" happens. You get shafted on the number of hours to hone in ur dental skills. I think the degree creates a mediocre hybrid provider. If there is adequate communication between a physician and the dentist regarding a patient that should suffice. No need for a fusion. Fusion restaurants is a different story

While we're at it, why not a DVM/MD degree? Bring your pet in for a hot-spot and while you're there, have the doc take a look at that pesky murmur from your aortic stenosis.

I swear the world keeps getting stupider and stupider.

I swear the world keeps getting stupider and stupider.

Right on and they spin it as being innovative lol.

As for the OP I agree completely with MathTeacher/Spiced; there really isn't a point for DO/MD degree. What would be the difference? I don't see any reason for the AOA to push for this and frankly I'm ok with it.

I was just thinking a dual degree would allow one to recieve the amount of biochemistry and genetics that the traditional MD offers. Also, I think if the DO programs would offer the dual degree they would open more doors to having research and/or teaching hospitals. It seems like the money follows schools that award the MD degree.

There isn't an appreciable difference. The amount is based on school more than letters. Some say that the USMLE has more biochem on it than COMLEX but it is still fairly variable and more questions doesn't necessarily mean they cover more stuff.

There isn't an appreciable difference. The amount is based on school more than letters. Some say that the USMLE has more biochem on it than COMLEX but it is still fairly variable and more questions doesn't necessarily mean they cover more stuff.

In undergrad, I had taken biochemistry with first year MD med students from a nearby school who did some of their coursework on our campus, and from my personal experience, I can say that it was a much more rigorous and comprehensive course. And what about genetics, embryology, and biostatistics?

Last edited:
In undergrad, I had taken biochemistry with first year MD med students from a nearby school who did some of their coursework on our campus, and from my personal experience, I can say that it was a much more rigorous and comprehensive course. And what about genetics, embryology, and biostatistics?

The difference wouldn't be worth an extra year. At the pace medical school goes at, it would amount to about 6 weeks of additional work all together, if that much. The amount of disparity would depend on the individual school. I took 18-24 hrs of biochem board review and it was sufficient to cover anything that I didn't get at school.

I was saying the difference between and MD and DO curriculum. It is determined more by the school than the letters. Unless you happened to attend about 8 different schools and take the biochem class. (A sample size of 2 isn't much) I attended several universities and can simply make a comparison between those schools and not regions or types as a whole. I was in an undergrad biochem class that covered the entire 1000+ page textbook during the semester and involved memorizing the name, structure, cofactors, enzymes and everything else imaginable. I looked at our local med student's biochem stuff (an MD school) and thought it was a joke. The only difference was a more clinical focus. So, if the DO biochem is truly dumbed down enough to require an extra year's worth of curriculum to equate to an MD then I'm in for smooth sailing.

Last edited:

We went through every chapter of Lippincott's biochem text, covered genetics and embryology, and had a 2 week biostatistics course. And yes, I went to a DO school.

I was just thinking a dual degree would allow one to recieve the amount of biochemistry and genetics that the traditional MD offers. Also, I think if the DO programs would offer the dual degree they would open more doors to having research and/or teaching hospitals. It seems like the money follows schools that award the MD degree.

How many other students around here actively seek schools that require you to study more than what's needed for boards?

Just curious :D

i heard a rumor about some DDS/DPM dual degree programs starting. podentistry. it is the future of oral/foot care.

It should be illegal to check someones feet and mouth at the same visit. lol.

It should be illegal to check someones feet and mouth at the same visit. lol.

Or the law should state that you have to start with teeth first, then feet. Or at least wipe your hands and instruments off if you go feet then teeth. :smuggrin: