New DPT Grad Covering HS Football

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jarrodmac10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been pursued by my alma mater high school football program to assist with Friday night coverage, but to be honest, I don't feel like I'm a great candidate currently without a mentor.

I was once a certified EMR, however it has been about 3 years since my certification expired. I'd love to take advantage of this opportunity, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to ensure these athletes receive optimum care. I'm confident in my triage ability, but not so much in more threatening situations.

I guess the purpose of this post is to get feedback from you guys to determine if I should accept the opportunity, assuming they don't already have a PT or ATC on staff (I haven't asked the program yet if they do).

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You need the job description and explanation of who else will be there. If they want you taking the place of an ATC, then it's an emphatic no. It's a maybe if you'll be working along side the ATC. It makes sense for a team to want a PT throughout the season to assist with conditioning and rehab, not so much for Friday night coverage... IMO.

Thanks for the candid response. If there is an ATC, I think I'll partake, it would be a great opportunity to rack up some of the required hours for the SCS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the thing though, if they have nothing else, you are better than the assistant D-line coach. Anything that you are not extremely certain of, have the ambulance crew take care of. That is coming from a PTATC. Although an ATC is best, a PT is better than nothing, IMO. I would speak to your boss at the place where you work to make sure that your liability coverage covers you at the game if you decide to give it a go.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I'll definitely do that. In the mean time I'll start my search to renew my EMR cert. Do you have any recommended resources for this setting?

I've been pursued by my alma mater high school football program to assist with Friday night coverage, but to be honest, I don't feel like I'm a great candidate currently without a mentor.

I was once a certified EMR, however it has been about 3 years since my certification expired. I'd love to take advantage of this opportunity, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to ensure these athletes receive optimum care. I'm confident in my triage ability, but not so much in more threatening situations.

I guess the purpose of this post is to get feedback from you guys to determine if I should accept the opportunity, assuming they don't already have a PT or ATC on staff (I haven't asked the program yet if they do).

Thanks in advance.

You may also want to check your Practice Act and what is required for a PT 'visit.' Is a full evaluation required for anyone you treat? How will you keep your SOAP notes protected for the ones you treat? Can you leave them in the high school ATR? Does your state have unrestricted direct access? Or can the standing ATC orders be written for PT as well?
And you may want to contact your malpractice insurer and see if you are covered. If this is independent from your normal job, you need malpractice (well everyone should have it independent of facility, but I am amazed how many PTs do not).

You may also want to check the practice act of Athletic Trainers. You could easily be violating that...

You may also want to check the practice act of Athletic Trainers. You could easily be violating that...

I think that as long as you are not calling yourself an athletic trainer you are probably not in violation. But for sure, check your state practice acts.