ReUpAnon

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
Just got a text from one of the Duke Interns --- the new director at Duke is named Sarah Stahmer, the current PD at Cooper in N.J. Apparently it has now been announced so I am going to call later today to confirm.

I heard she's excellent! Anyone got any feedback from N.J.????

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know her, but I heard a lot of good things about that program on the interview trail (didn't apply there myself) so that usually is a reflection of the PD.

About the Ads

sperry

snarkilicious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2002
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
From all accounts (and meeting her a few times) Stahmer is an excellent PD. She ran a strong program at Cooper and has excellent teaching/US skills. She really cares a lot for her residents and tries to foster close relationships among the residents and with the faculty.

Sounds great for Duke (& Dr. Stahmer) - but now i'm trying to decide if/how this affects my ranking of Cooper :(

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From all accounts (and meeting her a few times) Stahmer is an excellent PD. She ran a strong program at Cooper and has excellent teaching/US skills. She really cares a lot for her residents and tries to foster close relationships among the residents and with the faculty.

Sounds great for Duke (& Dr. Stahmer) - but now i'm trying to decide if/how this affects my ranking of Cooper :(

Is it possible that they are going to make the assistant PD (Dr. Nyce) the new P.D? I spoke with him a few months ago about a possible PGY-2 transfer. For some reason he was doing the negotiating, not Stahmer, which suggests to me that they may have been grooming him for the position.

antiveggies

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
the message they sent out says nyce will be the new PD. i think dr.stahmer is excellent, and she was a huge reason that i intended to rank cooper so highly. i'll have to think about it now

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
the message they sent out says nyce will be the new PD. i think dr.stahmer is excellent, and she was a huge reason that i intended to rank cooper so highly. i'll have to think about it now

I don't blame you. A new PD is always an uncertainty. Coming from a program that had 4 new PDs in less than 2 years, I know first hand.

joeG

15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just got a text from one of the Duke Interns --- the new director at Duke is named Sarah Stahmer, the current PD at Cooper in N.J.

Dr Stahmer is one of the best program directors you'll find. Duke is very lucky and this is an incredible asset to their program and a loss for Cooper. Stahmer is a superb mentor, knows her medicine, and truly cares about her residents.

JoeG
www.nyemergencymedicine.blogspot.com

daveshnave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2001
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Interviewed with her at Cooper, and really liked her (two years ago). One of my fellow PGY-2's was a UMDNJ student and also has had many good things to say about her. She has lectured for our program (Drexel) as it's just across the river, and again, I can't say enough about her. She actually trained in medicine and did a fellowship in cardiology before her EM days, and was grandfathered in. Don't be fooled by this though... she's top in the field, especially in ultrasound, which is her forte in the ER (besides cardiology obviously). She will be a strong asset to the Duke program. Congrats to her and to all the residents she will be training...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.