New edition of Radiation Oncology handbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard when a new edition of one of the Rad Onc handbooks (either Haffty/Wilson or Hansen/Roach) will be released? Both are getting just a little bit dated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I haven't spoken with Eric Hansen in years, but I wonder if he has decided to continue his educational handbooks with OHSU rather than UCSF?

See: http://www.amazon.com/Radiation-Onc...=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388633922&sr=1-8

I'm unsure if this new book is meant to supplement "Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology" or replace it. The newer book is question/answer format rather than overview + clinical trial summaries.

Bummer! I was *just* wondering about this. The other thing that I'm noticing is that one of my favorite resources, radoncwiki, is getting a little outdated too.... I wonder if our up and coming community of academicians getting ready for boards would be interested in contributing together to that online resource....

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to Dr Hansen last year and he made reference to the "next edition." I don't think the book Gfunk referenced is meant as a replacement. I am surprised there isn't another one out yet, though.

Any updates now that the newest AJCC edition is out?

I think new staging has not been finalized by AJCC yet

nice. I guess all cancer centers are expected to implement? not yet the case in ours (a pretty large east coast place)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It may be out, but effective date is 1/1/18, according to your link. Regardless, sounds like a great reason for a new handbook!

Reactions: 1 users
The first edition of the blue handbook fit nicely in the white coat pocket. The second edition was too bulky to carry around. I think when it comes to reference books you can either have pocket guides or reference texts (Perez & Brady, Gunderson & Tepper). I'm not sure of the role of inbetween. If they do release a third edition, it would be nice if they managed to slim it back down again.

Maybe this Yale book fills the white coat pocket niche.

I wonder if the 8th edition staging will be tested on the 2017 oral boards...

Yeah, also wondering what the role of the 8th edition will be on clinical written and oral boards for the next couple years...