New edition of Step 1 Secrets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a brand new edition of USMLE Step 1 Secrets out now, which is about twice the length of the first edition.

http://www.amazon.com/USMLE-Step-Secrets-Thomas-Brown/dp/0323054390

I'm curious to know if anyone has taken a look at it, who has already taken Step I (I understand this isn't highly likely). It seemed like people had positive things to say about the previous edition, especially its mechanistic explanations, but the big weakness was lack of breadth. I'm wondering how well this has been addressed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this book as well. I thumbed through the 1st edition in the bookstore and was thinking about buying it. I could save $15 or so going with a used 1st edition, but if the 2nd edition is far superior, I would consider going with it. Anyone know anything?

it could have bigger print, so it might not have much new info despite the change in length (e.g. CMMRS 3rd ed is almost the same as the 4th despite huge thickness change)

it could have bigger print, so it might not have much new info despite the change in length (e.g. CMMRS 3rd ed is almost the same as the 4th despite huge thickness change)

The print is actually smaller than the old versions of the Secrets books. I picked it up from amazon; it looks pretty cool but I'm still wondering how comprehensive it is and how it might best be used in board study, since I'm no expert.

Members don't see this ad :)
so.. tell us.. is it the same stuff... questions.. etc... ?? how smaller..?? questions?? is it good..?

I dunno, I never saw the first one. I only know about the print size issue cause I've seen other books in that series from before the new formatting. Like I said, the new book looks awesome, but I can't really judge how useful for boards it would be since I haven't taken Step I...hence my original post...