New EM Program: Brookdale University Hospital & Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New EM Program PD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to use this forum to announce the initial accreditation of the Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program at Brookdale University Hospital & Medical Center. To keep it brief, we are a Level 1 Trauma, Stroke and STEMI Center located in Brooklyn, NY that cares for approximately 100,000 patients per year. We have submitted an application to participate in ERAS and intend to fill all 8 of our upcoming PGY-1 positions in our 3 year training program via the NRMP. We are not yet live on ERAS. Until such time that we are, we are accepting ERAS applications, personal statements, USMLE/COMLEX score reports and SLOEs/LORs via e-mail. I am happy to answers questions anyone may have regarding our new program and look forward to engaging those who are interested in EM and our new program. We will be participating in the EMRA Residency Fair at the upcoming ACEP15 Scientific Assembly in Boston if anyone would like to meet to discuss our program in person.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome :). Is there a specific email that one should forward their application to until you do go live on myeras?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it possible to send SLOEs/LORs via e-mail if they are only uploaded to ERAS? Will we need to contact our initial letter writers to have be sent directly?

Reactions: 1 users
How is it possible to send SLOEs/LORs via e-mail if they are only uploaded to ERAS? Will we need to contact our initial letter writers to have be sent directly?
This is a good point. I thought SLOE's can only be sent to ERAS; am I mistaken?

I can vouch for the chairman. One of the best guys I know and I'd be confident getting training under him (I did at one point of residency).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to use this forum to announce the initial accreditation of the Emergency Medicine Residency Training Program at Brookdale University Hospital & Medical Center. To keep it brief, we are a Level 1 Trauma, Stroke and STEMI Center located in Brooklyn, NY that cares for approximately 100,000 patients per year. We have submitted an application to participate in ERAS and intend to fill all 8 of our upcoming PGY-1 positions in our 3 year training program via the NRMP. We are not yet live on ERAS. Until such time that we are, we are accepting ERAS applications, personal statements, USMLE/COMLEX score reports and SLOEs/LORs via e-mail. I am happy to answers questions anyone may have regarding our new program and look forward to engaging those who are interested in EM and our new program. We will be participating in the EMRA Residency Fair at the upcoming ACEP15 Scientific Assembly in Boston if anyone would like to meet to discuss our program in person.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you comment about the curriculum?
2. Which sites will residents rotate at?
3. Do you have any pre-prepared literature for applicants to read about your program? It looks like you don't have a website yet, making it hard to learn about your program.

Thank you!

1. I've attached the clinical curriculum. These are the block schedules as they were submitted to the ACGME and RRC. The didactic schedule is as one might expect, a mixture of M&M, lectures, small group/case-based sessions, journal club, simulation, written and oral board review, local/regional conference attendance, etc.
2. Almost entirely at Brookdale for now. This could change if we find a tremendous opportunity to go elsewhere for an experience not otherwise possible. Residents can choose to rotate out for an elective and an international experience in their 3rd post-graduate year.
3. The pre-prepared literature I have is geared towards the recruitment of attending physicians. As a new program, there isn't much to prepare beyond that which relates to the structure of the program and departmental statistics, be they patient related, operationally related or faculty related. The same is true of a website. This will be a focus once the program begins and will mature right alongside it. Sure you get CME $, all first year residents will be taken to either ACEP or SAEM (haven't decided yet), all residents will be supported to attend any conference at which they have accepted research to present, we have Sonosite Edge's, a new sim center, etc but none of these will likely impact your decision to apply, interview and/or ultimately train with us. Your decision will likely come down to location, patient population, perceived opportunity for experience and the impression you get from those you meet and with whom you will be learning from and with. For some, it might come down to name recognition and perceived status/reputation of the program but I do not expect to receive applications from these individuals.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them as quickly and completely as possible. Of course, you might be bored on interview day when I repeat myself. Thanks for expressing interest in our program.

Attachments

• BlockSchedules.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: 3 users
Awesome, another program close to me! If you don't mind, can you please let me know the following:
1) Do you have any cutoff/preffered scores?
2) Will you consider IMG applicants - specifically, US citizens graduating from Carib programs?
3) May we use [email protected] to contact you if we have any private questions/ concerns, and/or to inform you of any updates to our applications?

Thanks for you time and help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, another program close to me! If you don't mind, can you please let me know the following:
1) Do you have any cutoff/preffered scores?
2) Will you consider IMG applicants - specifically, US citizens graduating from Carib programs?
3) May we use [email protected] to contact you if we have any private questions/ concerns, and/or to inform you of any updates to our applications?

Thanks for you time and help!
1) Cutoff? No. Preferred? Yes. We prefer no failures.
2) Yes. I am one.
3) Yes

Has this program sent out interview invites already??

hey! I'm an IMG hoping to match in EM next year and I would like to know if you offer observerships or externships? thank you

Hi New EM Program Director PD- what date do you stop accepting applications for interview offers? Thank you

Can anyone who has interviewed here tell us a little about your impressions?

I interviewed there. New program in a very dangerous and underserved area (Brownsville). PD stated that hospital would have been shut down if located at any other part of NYC, but is necessary to stay open due to patient population they serve. Facilities are old and dated. However, the leadership seems great. I was very impressed with the PD and his vision. He was very personable and seems like a great person to work with. He also has experience as a PD at another NYC program previously. ED is small but patients are sick. You will see trauma longitudinally throughout your ED shifts so long as you are in the critical care pod. Methodist currently rotates there for trauma, but will slowly be phased out. I'm unsure if it means Methodist will allow interns to rotate next year or not. A positive of this is that you will have some senior residents from Methodist for some guidance, which is great as we will not have upper level resident mentorship if we match. No medicine floor months, although this may change. Salary and benefits did not seem extraordinary, leaning towards lower side for NYC.

Pros: sick patient population, good location for EM, good critical care/trauma experience, relatively unopposed with few residency programs stealing procedures, good leadership.

Cons: new program, lower salary, unknown moonlighting opportunities, and location (dangerous area, many attendings mentioned cabbing to a subway station nearby.).

Overall, my impression is that this is a county style program in a private hospital with no BS perks. You may not have the gadgets and toys of other NYC programs, but you will see tons of sick patients and come out well trained.

I interviewed there. New program in a very dangerous and underserved area (Brownsville). PD stated that hospital would have been shut down if located at any other part of NYC, but is necessary to stay open due to patient population they serve. Facilities are old and dated. However, the leadership seems great. I was very impressed with the PD and his vision. He was very personable and seems like a great person to work with. He also has experience as a PD at another NYC program previously. ED is small but patients are sick. You will see trauma longitudinally throughout your ED shifts so long as you are in the critical care pod. Methodist currently rotates there for trauma, but will slowly be phased out. I'm unsure if it means Methodist will allow interns to rotate next year or not. A positive of this is that you will have some senior residents from Methodist for some guidance, which is great as we will not have upper level resident mentorship if we match. No medicine floor months, although this may change. Salary and benefits did not seem extraordinary, leaning towards lower side for NYC.

Pros: sick patient population, good location for EM, good critical care/trauma experience, relatively unopposed with few residency programs stealing procedures, good leadership.

Cons: new program, lower salary, unknown moonlighting opportunities, and location (dangerous area, many attendings mentioned cabbing to a subway station nearby.).

Overall, my impression is that this is a county style program in a private hospital with no BS perks. You may not have the gadgets and toys of other NYC programs, but you will see tons of sick patients and come out well trained.

Thanks for sharing. Was there any mention of subsidized housing? I hear the area around the hospital is ROUGH.

Rough is an understatement...there's a reason why they have quite a bit of trauma lol. Not sure who has control tho over traumas, em or surgeons.

Thanks for sharing. Was there any mention of subsidized housing? I hear the area around the hospital is ROUGH.
No mention of subsidized housing. It definitely is rough. I believe it's the most violent part of NYC. An IM resident did mention that there was a taxi fund that would take drive you to a subway further away or your apartment. Not sure on the details of this though.

Can anyone who has interviewed here tell us a little about your impressions?

I interviewed there as well and concur with what DO2016 said. For me Dr. Rose (PD) was the biggest selling point. He has a great vision and infectious enthusiasm, but was also very realistic about the hospital and the area. He was previously PD at Maimonides and he was part of an inaugural class during his own training so he has experience with leading and has seen the problems new programs have.

It seemed like all the faculty loved him as well, some followed him from Maimo.

I think it will be a solid program if you are ok with the uncertainty of being in the first class.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I just got an interview invitation for Brookdale EM. Anyone who interviewed last year (or someone who knows anything about the program) have any new insight?

Hey I just got an interview invitation for Brookdale EM. Anyone who interviewed last year (or someone who knows anything about the program) have any new insight?[/QUOTE

I literally couldn't find 1 piece of information on the program. I even looked for other residency programs at the institution- not even a salary post anywhere. Kinda weird...

I literally couldn't find 1 piece of information on the program. I even looked for other residency programs at the institution- not even a salary post anywhere. Kinda weird...

If I remember correctly their starting salary was 55k.

@Istaretoomuch, I couldn't find the salary info on the program's website, but I did find some information listed here: http://www.cirseiu.org/cir-member-hospitals/brookdale/

There's a copy of the Brookdale University Hospital Collective Bargaining Agreement, effective 11/1/13-10/31/16, which provides information on benefits, meal allowance, book allowance, salary, etc.
  • Salaries per July 1, 2016:
    • PGY 1 $58,135
    • PGY 2 $63,126
    • PGY 3 $69,360
    • PGY 4 $71,600
    • PGY 5 $73,960
    • PGY 6 $75,566
    • PGY 7 $78,823
    • PGY 8 $83,600

Do you have a website perchance? I found this

http://www.brookdalehospital.org/university/clinical-support-programs/emergency_medicine.html

Looking forward to meeting with you
We do not have a website yet. We're working on it. The webpage opened via the link you pasted with the exception of my face is exactly as it was when I arrived in '13 when there was no EM program. If anyone wants to engage with our EM residents, they can do so via Instagram: @brookdaleem

I was just wondering about basic stuff: how does trauma work, what's the peds exposure, shift length, number of shifts per month, etc. Thanks! Really looking forward to my interview
Trauma and EM teams run trauma resuscitations. If the trauma surgeon is present, he/she is the "authority" in the room. This is an American College of Surgeons requirement of all trauma centers. If he/she is not present, the EM attending physician is responsible. EM is always responsible for the airway. In terms of invasive procedures, on odd numbered days, the operative residents are responsible and on even numbered days, the emergency medicine residents are responsible. Approx 25K annual pediatric visits. 2 dedicated 4-week blocks of PEM as a PGY-1. 1 PEM shift/week each week in the ED as a PGY-2 and PGY-3. 18 shifts/month as a PGY-1, 17 as a PGY-2 and 16 as a PGY-3. Most are 12 hour shifts. A few scattered 8 hour shifts on Wednesdays after EM conference as has been requested by our current EM residents.

Trauma and EM teams run trauma resuscitations. If the trauma surgeon is present, he/she is the "authority" in the room. This is an American College of Surgeons requirement of all trauma centers. If he/she is not present, the EM attending physician is responsible. EM is always responsible for the airway. In terms of invasive procedures, on odd numbered days, the operative residents are responsible and on even numbered days, the emergency medicine residents are responsible. Approx 25K annual pediatric visits. 2 dedicated 4-week blocks of PEM as a PGY-1. 1 PEM shift/week each week in the ED as a PGY-2 and PGY-3. 18 shifts/month as a PGY-1, 17 as a PGY-2 and 16 as a PGY-3. Most are 12 hour shifts. A few scattered 8 hour shifts on Wednesdays after EM conference as has been requested by our current EM residents.

Is this program still conducting interviews?

hi new em program pd

How are you? I was looking to find a pgy 2 or 3 positions for July 2017. I am interested in your program and wondering if you have any that are Available? I graduated a family medicine residency program with included emergency medicine fellowship during that time as well and have been practicing full time emergency medicine in a 42k volume facility the last 3.5 years. I'd love to apply for the pgy 3 positions, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you