new EM programs 2009

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by rhetoric, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rhetoric

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the new and newish programs for 2009 - eg, St Louis University, Case Western Reserve (there are two), etc.

I don't have the strongest Boards scores, so my advisor suggested I try newer programs (UCSF aside), which may be more forgiving as they try to build their reputation. What do y'all think? :confused:

#1 rhetoric, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. GoBuckeyes913

GoBuckeyes913 Intoxicating
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would definitely send out your app.. . . the worst they can tell you is no. Anything is worth a shot, so try and stay positive. Case's new program (@ Case Medical Center--1073 bed hospital, big-uns) seems like a dream world (40 hours/week :eek:) Their EM faculty are pretty well-known names in academic world, heavy ICU (including top notch Neuro ICU rotation), lots of Peds @ Rainbow which is Level 1 trauma for kiddos. Construction is underway on a brand new 54,000 sq ft ED. In my opinion, I don't think they will have a problem filling their spots this year but I'm not sure how many apps they got either.

DO IT UP!! You got nothin' to lose :luck:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your advisor may be correct on some level, but I think the UCSF program has a number of interns who are AOA - not exactly a weak start.

As an aside - 40 hours a week? Really? I think that would be more of a (-) than a (+) to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GoBuckeyes913

GoBuckeyes913 Intoxicating
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's the word on the street... work no more than 40-45 hr/wk.

5. ABBY109

ABBY109 PGY-28
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Where do I sign up? I haven worked under a 40 hour week for 10 years.