New England College of Optometry...info please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was interested in applying to NECO this upcoming Fall and I would just like to get some opinions on how this optometry school compares with others around the country?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

from my opinion, most of the optometry schools have a comparable academic curriculum where they dont stray off too far. Some schools have more and some have less clinical hours. But I chose Boston (NECO) because of the city and the reputation of the school (not so much the rep). At NECO i expect to get a good variation of clinical shifts arount the city to see different things. I think NECO is in a pretty safe area, especially compared with some of the other schools.

You should definitly apply to NECO in the fall. If I had more hands, Id give NECO 4 thumbs up.

NECO is in rich neighborhood. Boston is pretty safe city to get around.
They will tell you how great their clinical system is and so on....Personally, I wasn't much impressed with their program after having an interview at PCO and SUNY.
It's a pretty building...but... that's A building. I cannot think about being stuck in one building forever and there were only houses around school....(well down couple blocks there were some clothing stores).
When I interviewed, there was lots of snow and....there were lots of canadians (no offense). I was one of 2 students from the states.
Faculties are nice, staffs not so much.

Hmm... I cannot think of anymore. You have to count that this is my personal opinion and the final choice is yours.

(+addition) I didn't like the fact that I have to move around to get to several different clinics all over the city. It's time-consuming.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha don't mind jamieyum Optman87! Some people are just jealous that Canadians are so nice, superiorly intelligent, and in reference to the physical appearance forum, obviously drop dead gorgeous since we're taking all the spots. haha JUST KIDDING. :laugh:

When I interviewed, there was lots of snow and....there were lots of canadians (no offense). I was one of 2 students from the states.

NECO's facilities definately pale in comparison to PCO's, and SUNY's reputation is far better. But you will probably get a decent education there regardless b/c the same things are necessarily taught everywhere. Personally I think NECO's community clinical set-up sounds great b/c you're guaranteed to get tons of exposure to lots of different pathologies, as well as experience dealing with pateints of different backgrounds. And you get experience early b/c they get you doing stuff in your first year (I think kids' vision screenings or fittings at the institute). All of that is bound to make you a better, more confident optometrist for when you graduate. I don't go to NECO so this isn't propaganda, just my opinion from having researched various schools .

p.s. jamieyum's clearly jealous of us Canadians :)

thanks for all the input guys!

Hey wow I thought I was one of the only Canadians on here!!! I have a question since there are so many of us supposedly lol...Ive heard its easier for Canadian applicants to get into professional schools in the states..compared to Canada..is that true?