Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

new england college of optometry

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by adw, Nov 12, 2002.

1. adw

adw Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey. Does anyone know anything about New England COllege of Optometry? I'm applying there and want to know more about it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hello,
    I don't know that much about NEWENCO yet but I am interviewing this upcoming week. Look for my long interview recap on or about the 20th of November. I tend to write epics. ;)

4. amrod07

amrod07 Junior Member

Hi! I interviewed at Newenco. I'm not sure what you would like to know about it, but I can give you some quick facts.

The school is in Boston kinda near BU.
    Their program has approximately 100 seats per class.
    The school is in an old Boston mansion and is pretty cool looking.
    They do their clinicals in Boston public health centers all over the city. They only have a small clinic of their own that is a few miles from the school itself. You do clinic in all 4 years.
    They have been revamping their curriculum within the past 3 years and have been forging some kind of partnership with Harvard med school I believe...
    They're also really big on research and they have the third largest research program of the optom schools in the US.
    They're a private institution, so there is no difference between in state and out of state tuition.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help!

amrod07

5. I don't know if you'll get to this before tomorrow, amrod, but did they ask you any ethics related, current issues questions?

6. christie

christie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My interview at NEWENCO was very laid back - It's a great school!

7. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm a third year student at the New England College of Optometry. The school itself is excellent, with it's strengths primarily in its 4th year externship sites and faculty. They work you pretty hard in the first two years, but third year is a good mix of clinic (anywhere from 4-12 hrs week) and class time. Fourth year consists of four rotations of 3 months each at sites all around the US, as well as canada, spain, china and south africa. The only downfall I see to this school is the price tag. Though you get what you pay for, it is expensive and does take its toll on you. Living in Boston is horrendous in terms of what you have to pay for rent/living expenses. It's a great city to be in, but the novelty does quickly wear off.