New exam: Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orka

Have any questions? Ask me.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this just got announced recently. Apparently there is going to be an Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) for "advanced dental education programs with insight into applicants’ potential for success in their program". It will be launched May 2016 and August 2016 (pilot year), followed by April 2017 and July 2017. Does anyone know what this is about and is this going to be a way schools determine if we can specialize or not?

Source:
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/adea_update_dat_adat_2015.ashx

Members don't see this ad.

Since dental boards are pass or fail, it is "supposably" difficult for advanced dental programs, (for specialty programs, or advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists), to have a quantitative scale to see which applicant is smarter....

Basically it is a DAT, but for dentists either foreign trained.... Or trained here, but for entering a specialty exam,..... I'm not sure on that one..... But I believe this test is for foreign trained dentists.

The ADAT is the new exam for all(?) dental specialty applicants to be graded by. It is not as similar to the DAT as it is to Boards Pt 2, except this one is scored and is specifically used by specialty residencies as a benchmark for new applicants. It is a pain in the behind to tack on yet ANOTHER exam (I know at least for ortho, most residencies will continue to require the GRE in addition to this ADAT), but with so many schools + boards pt2 becoming P/F, there is no real way for grad schools to distinguish applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since dental boards are pass or fail, it is "supposably" difficult for advanced dental programs, (for specialty programs, or advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists), to have a quantitative scale to see which applicant is smarter....

Basically it is a DAT, but for dentists either foreign trained.... Or trained here, but for entering a specialty exam,..... I'm not sure on that one..... But I believe this test is for foreign trained dentists.

Not true. You have no idea what you are talking about. This test is not 'for foreign trained dentists'. This is going to be used for specialty residences to have another metric to compare applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
as long as it is not required for people wanting to go into OS. We already have the CBSE to worry about

Reactions: 1 users
More money for them...

Reactions: 1 users
Will it be used for applicants applying in 2016 for residency programs?

Will it be used for applicants applying in 2016 for residency programs?
i don't think so. I think it starts for the people graduating in 2018.

i don't think so. I think it starts for the people graduating in 2018.

Oh god I hope so. If they're rolling out the exam in 2016 and requiring those of us applying for residency in June 2016 to take it, that would be messed up.

Will this be limited to specialties or will it also extend for those of us interested in GPR/AGD?

2016 is the pilot year. They say it will be optional (2016 only) although some programs may require it. Not sure how to find out other than calling the programs.

I have a predicament that I would appreciate any feedback on: I have been practicing for 5 years so I have a gpa, class rank and boards scores. I am planning on applying to endo for the 2017 cycle. Since endo is not Match, some endo schools interview/accept as early as August. The pilot program for the ADAT says that for 2016 programs won't receive candidates ADAT scores until Sept. Do I even take the ADAT and hope to get an interview early or is that way too risky? Also, some programs will not even require it in it's pilot year.
Studying for that test after not taking any of those classes in 7 years just causes a bit of anxiety..

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just go back to grading part 1 and part 2? Why did those go to P/F to begin with?
Purely bureaucratic, pedantic, and political reasons. "Our test is meant to judge knowledge learned in dental school, not to judge specialty applicants against one another!"
Thus we have new tests, more fees, more, more, more

NBDE is meant as a competency test and everyone passes. It ensures that your licensed dentist has a basic set of knowledge.

ADAT is a standardized test that is meant to "curve" the applicants, so residency has a sense where you are in the pack. If you look at the ADAT introduction powerpoint, they include a bell curve in there.

The NBDE was intended to be used by state boards to evaluate a minimum standard for licensure. It was never meant to be used by PD's to evaluate applicants. The ADAT is being designed as a predictive test, along the lines of the DAT, LSAT, MCAT for example. These exams are used to predict success of the applicant for the program to which they are applying. This is how it was explained to me. I believe that given the number of schools which are on a P/F grading system, no class rank, and only recommendations to go on in a PASS application, this new exam will level the field. As a PD, I welcome a metric which will compare everyone fairly.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys
Do you know what are the reference or the material to study for the ADAT

The NBDE was intended to be used by state boards to evaluate a minimum standard for licensure. It was never meant to be used by PD's to evaluate applicants. The ADAT is being designed as a predictive test, along the lines of the DAT, LSAT, MCAT for example. These exams are used to predict success of the applicant for the program to which they are applying. This is how it was explained to me. I believe that given the number of schools which are on a P/F grading system, no class rank, and only recommendations to go on in a PASS application, this new exam will level the field. As a PD, I welcome a metric which will compare everyone fairly.

I can't agree more. I came across many people who I thought were academically not qualified getting into specialty programs. Being charm and excellent in sucking up is not enough. I really hope this test will help the programs determine the applicants fairly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can't agree more. I came across many people who I thought were academically not qualified getting into specialty programs. Being charm and excellent in sucking up is not enough. I really hope this test will help the programs determine the applicants fairly.

Hey jpark9, Are you Endo resident? Can you please share your experience at residency, and provide applicants like me some tips for this cycle? This is the last cycle that ADAT is optional, and I am hoping to get accepted this cycle. Thank you.