new fellowships on astro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyScott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The inpatient CNS service allows the Fellow to manage medically complex and highly symptomatic patients with pain and non-pain syndromes from mainly brain and spine metastases."

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia also has an "Advanced" Radiation service for the Fellows. Neat!

I expect that in a few more years, with the glut of Radiation Oncology residents we will see fellowships in "Basic" Radiation services which could be spun thusly:

"Fellows on this service will deal with underserved and underinsured patient populations utilizing such technologies as cobalt machines, manually created customized blocks, and IGRT using orthogonal x-rays. Fellows will also attend classes on the "History of Radiation Oncology" to learn techniques such as off-cord electron boosts, use of manual wedges, techniques to optimally oppose lateral/tangent beams, and how to "turn the crank" when the plug blocking the cobalt beam gets stuck in the "on" position. We strongly believe that such a comprehensive education will prepare Fellows for a future in underserved regions of the world given that there will be no jobs left in the US."

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of.... make sure you fill out your ASTRO member survey (for those in private practice that haven't bailed from ASTRO yet) and leave comments.

I just got mine via email today

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not surprised. Given the hospital role and location, I know that Columbia RadOncs are particularly plagued by thankless inpatient work. If market offers you a solution, you take it.

I expect that in a few more years, with the glut of Radiation Oncology residents we will see fellowships in "Basic" Radiation services which could be spun thusly:

"Fellows on this service will deal with underserved and underinsured patient populations utilizing such technologies as cobalt machines, manually created customized blocks, and IGRT using orthogonal x-rays. Fellows will also attend classes on the "History of Radiation Oncology" to learn techniques such as off-cord electron boosts, use of manual wedges, techniques to optimally oppose lateral/tangent beams, and how to "turn the crank" when the plug blocking the cobalt beam gets stuck in the "on" position. We strongly believe that such a comprehensive education will prepare Fellows for a future in underserved regions of the world given that there will be no jobs left in the US."

Let's just link the thing again so everyone knows what we're talking about.

Columbia University Advanced Radiation Oncology Clinical Fellowship

In this advanced technology service, the Fellow will be able to obtain mastery of multiple stereotactic and intra-operative platforms including Gamma Knife radiosurgery (SRS), Linac-based VMAT ARC Therapy with CBCT image-guidance (TrueBeam), Intra-operative radiation therapy (Intrabeam), and Siemens Dual-Energy CT scanner (to minimize implant hardware artifact).

Bolded emphasis mine - Hey guys, we can teach you how to do a MARS reconstruction on your head and neck patients as part of your 6 month advanced technology elective!!111 /s

Makes you wonder about how we rank candidates applying to residency when people coming out of pipeline would prefer to take a $70k/year fellowship "learning" how to do simple palliation in NYC instead of go right to work in needy rural communities wiling to pay 550k or more. Will we soon be paying fellows in NYC and CA markets in restaurant vouchers? Bet there would be a lot of takers.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, that's NYC. Lotsa people have no choice but to move there for the sake of their family/partners/hobby. There will always be an oversupply of MD's. I did some of my training in Manhattan, and some of doctors' life stories I've encountered where unbelievable... PGY3 internists doing solo night shifts in ER for cash. Full-time pulmonologists on hospital salary of 90K. ENT making ends meet by doing physical exams for the undocumented.

Makes you wonder about how we rank candidates applying to residency when people coming out of pipeline would prefer to take a $70k/year fellowship "learning" how to do simple palliation in NYC instead of go right to work in needy rural communities wiling to pay 550k or more. Will we soon be paying fellows in NYC and CA markets in restaurant vouchers? Bet there would be a lot of takers.

Well, that's NYC. Lotsa people have no choice but to move there for the sake of their family/partners/hobby. There will always be an oversupply of MD's. I did some of my training in Manhattan, and some of doctors' life stories I've encountered where unbelievable... PGY3 internists doing solo night shifts in ER for cash. Full-time pulmonologists on hospital salary of 90K. ENT making ends meet by doing physical exams for the undocumented.
I've heard of similar stories on the west coast, esp in Cali (SF/bay area and LA)

Obviously you are being flippant but the concept you are describing would actually be really interesting. I have lamented that there are not more opportunities for radiation oncologists to do medical missions in developing countries.

When focusing only on fellowships that provide SOME clinical value whatsoever (Protons, Peds, Brachy) 37% of those who spend a year don't even put it to use.

However, that's like half of all current fellow US grads (41 out of 77), what about those other 36?

Also, are international residency graduates who do fellowships still getting jobs in the US? If so, WHY? You can't do that for other fields.

The number of people using the fellowship training is higher. The number of people not using it after fellowship training is higher than it should be if fellowships in theory claim to offer added skill. It is clear that doing a fellowship does not translate to a faculty appointment at their fellowship institutions and that most places are not keeping their own. One may do a fellowship at a top place hoping this may lead to an academic position but chance of this is low. Overall the article provides useful data for those considering fellowship regarding the limited benefit for the extra year. If fellowships will become the norm, then the field should expand the spectrum of the fellowship training opportunities to increase employability.

The issue of foreigners coming here: they do come here and do fellowship and yes a minority do get jobs in the usa. These individuals are often incredibly qualified and very bright. Its the wrong thing to focus on i think. Most of them end up back home anyways. What will happen to our field if things dont change is that we will go the way of path where the majority are foreigners these days. Ive heard from old rad oncs that this used to be the case with our field.

Another Red Journal survey article. I like this one though. The results match my anecdote which is: I saw fellowship directors trying to recruit fellows when most of their recent fellows were unemployed or not using their fellowship training at all.

Why don't we just be honest and call it an optional PGY-6 year if you can't find your desired job after training.

Again, the invisible hand guiding people's lives.
The most important economic choice of the lifetime is made by selecting the specialty during 3d year of medschool.
Medschools should arm students with data and counseling.

Surprisingly no takers for this PGY6 inpatient radiation fellowship ..

With the way residency expansion is going though don't worry Columbia, you'll get your desperate pgy5 who needs a year in Manhattan soon enough

Surprisingly no takers for this PGY6 inpatient radiation fellowship ..

With the way residency expansion is going though don't worry Columbia, you'll get your desperate pgy5 who needs a year in Manhattan soon enough

Competitive salary, huh? I'm sure it will be plenty to live a comfortable life in Manhattan commensurate with what a decade of post-college education and work experience would otherwise bring in comparable fields such as finance and law in NYC.

Disgusting.