Results are only viewable after voting.

420 blaze it

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Speech Language Pathology
Please select one choice for the weekdays and one choice for weekends :)

It is really tough studying and putting work in, and feeling lost in certain areas, without the first test to use as a bench mark.. I feel like I could be not putting enough work in and not know it.

As for my classmates - what a bunch of douches!! lol!! It became high school within the first week. Everyone is either trying to reinvent themselves or perpetuate their popular legacy. I also enjoy the seemingly endless pool of happiness that oozes out of the facebook group. It is the "in" thing these days to be all "Eat, Pray, Love" and unified with the universe, much like it was "in" to be an emo in the late 2000s. Everyone is just so loving, and caring, and generous with their notes, and happy - even though they are a bunch of snide, gossipers

Your thoughts?

lymphocyte

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
COPD 50/50 Club
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As for my classmates - what a bunch of douches!! lol!! It became high school within the first week. Everyone is either trying to reinvent themselves or perpetuate their popular legacy. I also enjoy the seemingly endless pool of happiness that oozes out of the facebook group. It is the "in" thing these days to be all "Eat, Pray, Love" and unified with the universe, much like it was "in" to be an emo in the late 2000s. Everyone is just so loving, and caring, and generous with their notes, and happy - even though they are a bunch of snide, gossipers

Your thoughts?
I literally lol'd at your description of your classmates because it seems to fit you too. I wouldn't brand them as douches though--rather just people who are still a little insecure about themselves. It's also a demographic that's rife with narcissism, a kind of dysregulation and externalising of self-esteem, hence the need to "project an image" or superficially (and publically) reinvent themselves. I'm allergic to people like that (which isn't fair because I was just the same way at some point--like 99%+ of young people are), but the best way to cope is either stay away or be reassuring of whatever new strategy they're trying now to bolster their self worth. Why? Because it's compassionate. Sarcasm works well with the mean ones, though the classic response to narcissistic injury is silent hatred. (Maybe like thinking they're all really snide when calling them douches yourself?).

Anyways, odds are that most people feel just like you do, and they just sorta go along to get along (especially the silent majority). Keep out of it if you can, find your niche, and good luck. You'll be treading water soon enough.

Last edited:
OP
420 blaze it

420 blaze it

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Dumb questions that i've hard so far:

"Is there a difference between cyanotic and acyanotic or is acyanotic just a typo?"

"is there a difference between dividing the nervous system between CNS vs. PNS. and spinal cord vs upper limbs?"

"What could cause a burning pain?"
'burns'

operaman

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I literally lol'd at your description of your classmates because it seems to fit you too. I wouldn't brand them as douches though--rather just people who are still a little insecure about themselves. It's also a demographic that's rife with narcissism, a kind of dysregulation and externalising of self-esteem, hence the need to "project an image" or superficially (and publically) reinvent themselves. I'm personally allergic to people like that (which isn't fair because I was just the same way at some point--like 99%+ of young people are), but the best way to cope is either stay away or be reassuring of whatever new strategy they're trying now to bolster their self worth. Why? Because it's compassionate. Sarcasm works well with the mean ones, though the classic response to narcissistic injury is silent hatred. (Maybe like thinking they're all really snide when calling them douches yourself?).

Anyways, odds are that most people feel just like you do, and they just sorta go along to get along (especially the silent majority). Keep out of it if you can, find your niche, and good luck. You'll be treading water soon enough.
Love this. Ah the wisdom of years, there is no substitute! And yes definitely will be treading water soon. I remember a friday night early in M1 that I went to the library to study and on the way there was sure I was going to be the only loser in there on a Friday night. Nope. Found at least half my class there already.

And OP, careful about labeling anything stupid at this time. Even among the questions/answers you shared, you are showing your own lack of knowledge far more than that of your classmates. For example, when a patient tells me they have burning pain, the absolute last thing on my differential is a burn. Don't worry, you'll cover all this stuff in due time. Just be careful when assuming you already know and understand something because you may be surprised.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension

It is really tough studying and putting work in, and feeling lost in certain areas, without the first test to use as a bench mark.. I feel like I could be not putting enough work in and not know it.

Your thoughts?
My classmates seemed like genuinely good, friendly, cooperative people. As to studying, 3-5 on weekdays and 4-7 on weekends sounds about right, though I'd be in the higher side of those numbers back in the day.

You seem to have a problem a lot of students have going into medical school, in that you let your competitive nature color your view of everything and everyone around you. You should chill the **** out and relax. Just do your best while also doing your best to enjoy yourself. I didn't really hang out with people from school much, as I'm a bond that would just spend weekend with my friends from the real world, but there are a lot of friends to be made and relationships to be forged in med school if you want them.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
And OP, careful about labeling anything stupid at this time. Even among the questions/answers you shared, you are showing your own lack of knowledge far more than that of your classmates. For example, when a patient tells me they have burning pain, the absolute last thing on my differential is a burn. Don't worry, you'll cover all this stuff in due time. Just be careful when assuming you already know and understand something because you may be surprised.
I thought that was what OP was saying? That "burns" was someone's response that wasn't the smartest thing? Maybe I misinterpreted...?

oshanimalia

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

Your thoughts?
Your last paragraph pretty much confirmed my suspicions on med school. Too much "eat, pray, love" mojo that if I say something pragmatic I get these "ugh you killjoy" vibe.

Reactions: thefleetfooted

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Your last paragraph pretty much confirmed my suspicions on med school. Too much "eat, pray, love" mojo that if I say something pragmatic I get these "ugh you killjoy" vibe.
It's probably less about the things you say and more about the way you say them. There is a way to come across as positive even when discussing negative things.

oshanimalia

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It's probably less about the things you say and more about the way you say them. There is a way to come across as positive even when discussing negative things.
Oh yeah, I'm so socially inept I just spew awkward **** for life

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

echidna001

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So far I've just been overwhelmed by the volume of material and how fast it comes at you, which I know is the classic "drinking from the fire hose" problem. And then of course, I freak out a little more when I turn to the person next to me and ask them if they feel a bit overwhelmed and they just smile, saying "I did research in neurology for the last two years and already took anatomy, so this is just review for me so far." Yikes. But all my classmates are super chill for the most part, very nice and very helpful. I haven't noticed it being like high school at all (besides the lockers--that reminds me of high school). There are a couple cliques who likely already knew each other, but everyone else is just doing their thing. We have a lot of non-trads and married/engaged individuals, so I think that contributes to the vibe.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Oh yeah, I'm so socially inept I just spew awkward **** for life

:shrug: playing politics isn't something people are born with the ability to do, it has very little to do with general social aptitude. But you'll get that much more of what I mean once you are in the hospital. In those walls, the slightest slip in phrasing can turn your day straight to hell because you caught an attending, resident, nurse, or whomever at a bad time. Med school snowflakes are amongst the easiest personalities to deal with, lol...

Reactions: Goro

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
So far I've just been overwhelmed by the volume of material and how fast it comes at you, which I know is the classic "drinking from the fire hose" problem. And then of course, I freak out a little more when I turn to the person next to me and ask them if they feel a bit overwhelmed and they just smile, saying "I did research in neurology for the last two years and already took anatomy, so this is just review for me so far." Yikes. But all my classmates are super chill for the most part, very nice and very helpful. I haven't noticed it being like high school at all (besides the lockers--that reminds me of high school). There are a couple cliques who likely already knew each other, but everyone else is just doing their thing. We have a lot of non-trads and married/engaged individuals, so I think that contributes to the vibe.
Don't worry about the people who supposedly have pre-existing knowledge- they tended to fare about average in my class, it didn't really give them any great advantage except in the first couple of weeks.

oshanimalia

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
:shrug: playing politics isn't something people are born with the ability to do, it has very little to do with general social aptitude. But you'll get that much more of what I mean once you are in the hospital. In those walls, the slightest slip in phrasing can turn your day straight to hell because you caught an attending, resident, nurse, or whomever at a bad time. Med school snowflakes are amongst the easiest personalities to deal with, lol...
Is there a self help book that can help you with this? Like "How to be Tyrion lackluster in two weeks" or something

Reactions: Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Is there a self help book that can help you with this? Like "How to be Tyrion lackluster in two weeks" or something

Just get used to dealing with all types is all I'm saying- those classmates are the same sort of people that make up your residents and future coworkers. And don't even get me started on nurse and patient personalities- the cross-section you'll be dealing with is very different than day-to-day life in many ways, and even normal people can become very different one admitted. If you let some overly cheerful and cooperative classmates get under your skin, well... Let's just say you should consider a career in path or radiology.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Don't worry about the people who supposedly have pre-existing knowledge- they tended to fare about average in my class, it didn't really give them any great advantage except in the first couple of weeks.
This is very true. Kinda by definition if you explored something previously in the depth it is needed for pre-clinical med school, you are limited to only that one topic's worth of advantage. Otherwise the things they "know" are the simple things that might make lecture more smooth for them, but are the first 5-10% of what you will learn on the topic.

Reactions: echidna001

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]

"Is there a difference between cyanotic and acyanotic or is acyanotic just a typo?"

"is there a difference between dividing the nervous system between CNS vs. PNS. and spinal cord vs upper limbs?"

'burns'
You're going to have a miserable time in med school if you continue this crap. Judge less, focus on yourself and your own knowledge. I guarantee you've asked or thought of a lot of "dumb" questions, and you will certainly ask "dumb" questions in the future, or not know an answer that you should know. Try some humility.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
You're going to have a miserable time in med school if you continue this crap. Judge less, focus on yourself and your own knowledge. I guarantee you've asked or thought of a lot of "dumb" questions, and you will certainly ask "dumb" questions in the future, or not know an answer that you should know. Try some humility.
The dumbest questions are the ones left unasked to protect one's ego.

oshanimalia

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Just get used to dealing with all types is all I'm saying- those classmates are the same sort of people that make up your residents and future coworkers. And don't even get me started on nurse and patient personalities- the cross-section you'll be dealing with is very different than day-to-day life in many ways, and even normal people can become very different one admitted. If you let some overly cheerful and cooperative classmates get under your skin, well... Let's just say you should consider a career in path or radiology.
It's not that I dislike cheerful/cooperative classmates, it's that feeling where you sense everyone is trying so hard to put up a front to be that way. Myself included.

Foot Fetish

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I feel like I won't have enough time to maintain real friendships. Until the first exam is over, I won't have any idea how much effort I need to put in to achieve my desired score, so my default inclination will be to spend all free time studying. I can't really justify going out to a bar or watching a movie when I could be studying...this might change if I end up acing the first exam and realizing that I put in way too much effort (wishful thinking), but by then I guess most people will have already formed their friend groups. Who needs friends when you have high-speed internet though? :)

Inb4 b-but MUH NETWORKING

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I feel like I won't have enough time to maintain real friendships. Until the first exam is over, I won't have any idea how much effort I need to put in to achieve my desired score, so my default inclination will be to spend all free time studying. I can't really justify going out to a bar or watching a movie when I could be studying...this might change if I end up acing the first exam and realizing that I put in way too much effort (wishful thinking), but by then I guess most people will have already formed their friend groups. Who needs friends when you have high-speed internet though? :)

That's how everyone is the first month, really. The two most important tests are the first one (validates your effort) and the one that you almost don't pass. Once you've almost not passed, you know what that feels like and make sure you always do more than that. But yeah, don't be too worried about friend groups forming in that first test time frame. Everybody is freaking out a little. The night of the first test you should find out what everybody is doing and do that. Test nights are the best nights of the year.

ConfusedChemist

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
THIS. Haha glad to know I'm not the only one

Jun 22, 2015

Your thoughts?
Medical school and my classmates are what finally made me delete my FB. I don't like most people in medical school.

I hope you find a handful of other people like you in your class. They are out there.

Dec 1, 2014
Med school itself is not that bad. I just attend lecture, pay attention closely, go home and add notes to my lectures, review them, and then hammer them again on weekends. I try to see each lecture 4-5 times before the exam/quiz.

Majority of my classmates are dramatic females.

A lot of classmates like to go drinking pre and post exam days.. which is quite ironic. lol

As for dumb question, the only "dumb" questions that come out of the mouths of my fellow classmates are ones that were answered in the beginning of lecture.
These are the same people who are still joking and/or having small talk when the lecturer is trying to wait for everybody to shut the **** up and continue his/her presentation.

I think "active listening" is one of the main faults of most of my classmates. They just don't know when to shut the **** up and listen.

Oh.. and the constant bitching and moaning and "do we have to know this for the exam" questions are evident every single day.

Few good, mature people though.

Other than that, med school is what I expected.

Just study by yourself... if I need help.. I ask for it.. or I hit up google, wikipedia, or youtube, and question why I am paying $50,000+ for things I am pretty much hammering into my brain using the internet.

It is what it is though.

I came to the realization that I am truly not here to make any friends. I am here to do my job, learn my ****, and kill the boards. But if anybody needs any help or reassurance, I can offer that to my classmates because they are human and we all need a little bit of a helping hand at times, myself included.

lymphocyte

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
COPD 50/50 Club
Status
Resident [Any Field]
And then of course, I freak out a little more when I turn to the person next to me and ask them if they feel a bit overwhelmed and they just smile, saying "I did research in neurology for the last two years and already took anatomy, so this is just review for me so far." Yikes.
Stay away from these people. They just stress others out to build themselves up. Not good. What kind of person responds to someone saying they're feeling a bit overwhelmed with a smile? Even if I were the professor teaching the class, I'd say, "Yeah it sucks" or "I've done this before; how can I help"? Also, clinical neuroanatomy is very different from book neuroanatomy, but narcissism says protect the ego at all costs, so these kinds of people are the least likely to get help when they need it the most (because getting help invalidates their sense of self). I'll bet you dollars to donuts that neuro dude ends up being average or worse and lies about how he or she does.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Stay away from these people. They just stress others out to build themselves up. Not good. What kind of person responds to someone saying they are feeling a bit overwhelmed with a smile? Even if I were the professor teaching the class, I'd say, "Yeah it sucks" or "I've done this before; how can I help"? Also, clinical neuroanatomy is very different from book neuroanatomy, but narcissism says protect the ego at all costs, so these kinds of people are the least likely to get help when they need it the most (because getting help invalidates their sense of self). I'll bet you dollars to donuts that neuro dude ends up being average or worse and lies about he does.
THIS. everybody likes to talk a tough game, but it will be the dude who puts "molar" on the practical exam instead of "malleolus" and lose his **** when he realized this ain't undergrad no mo' homie.

The Knife & Gun Club

MS - 4
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2015
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Status
Medical Student
So far I love all of my classmates. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how socially competent and normal they are.

Well, almost. Theres one dude who's not doing so great:

Me: "Yea Ive actually been dating my girlfriend since the start of college"

Bro: "Wow, how'd you f**k that up? Have you just never had the balls to dump her ass?"

:smack:

lymphocyte

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
COPD 50/50 Club
Status
Resident [Any Field]

@Foot Fetish, if you ever need any help with anything (even someone to vent to), please PM me.

I will say this (not directed at you but other posters): how you think of others generally reflects a lot about yourself. If you silently judge a lot of people as stupid, you're probably very hard on yourself. If you think most people are nice and kind, you're probably a nice and kind person. If you think everybody is just out for their own benefit, well, you probably are too.

I don't mean to go all "Eat, Pray, Love" on everybody, but the most content people I've ever met were realistically content with other people, and that reflected on how they felt about themselves. Like, yeah this person has X, Y, and Z flaws, but that's just how people are. Of course, that doesn't mean tolerating jerks--that's not realistic. But it's a kind of acceptance of others that usually comes from an acceptance of self. Unsolicited relationship advice: always ask a potential partner what they think of their exes. If all their exes were jerks, the jerk is probably sitting right in front of you. The common denominator to all the relationships in your life is you.

Okay. Good luck everybody. Shock and awe for the first month or two! You'll be treading water soon enough.

Last edited:
OP
420 blaze it

420 blaze it

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 10, 2016
Status
@Foot Fetish, if you ever need any help with anything (even someone to vent to), please PM me.

I will say this (not directed at you but other posters): how you think of others generally reflects a lot about yourself. If you silently judge a lot of people as stupid, you're probably very hard on yourself. If you think most people are nice and kind, you're probably a nice and kind person. If you think everybody is just out for their own benefit, well, you probably are too.

I don't mean to go all "Eat, Pray, Love" on everybody, but the most content people I've ever met were realistically content with other people, and that reflected on how they felt about themselves. Like, yeah this person has X, Y, and Z flaws, but that's just how people are. Of course, that doesn't mean tolerating jerks--that's not realistic. But it's a kind of acceptance of others that usually comes from an acceptance of self. Unsolicited relationship advice: always ask a potential partner what they think of their exes. If all their exes were jerks, the jerk is probably sitting right in front of you. The common denominator to all the relationships in your life is you.

Okay. Good luck everybody. Shock and awe for the first month or two! You'll be treading water soon enough.

Reactions: 37Base and Goro

Ace Khalifa

I am the definition of awesomeness
Removed
Jun 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So far I love all of my classmates. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how socially competent and normal they are.

Bro: "Wow, how'd you f**k that up? Have you just never had the balls to dump her ass?"

And this guy wasn't just making a bad joke? PM me this dude's name so that I can know who to avoid lol.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Amount of material hasn't been too bad (they are easing us in), but I'm realizing that my curriculum isn't structured in the best way to provide focus (I would like weekly testing).

And I'm terrible at organizing things, which is why I think more structural hand-holding would be good.

I also hate PBLs (at least how my school does them). Enjoy the other small group stuff. Not PBL

Love everything else

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My Pharmacology colleague once got asked "What's a protein"?

I am NOT making that up!

Give the Class about 1-2 more months. It will gel into a group that you will take a bullet for. Really.

'burns'

Reactions: gyngyn and MrTaco92

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Don't blame them...over the past few cycles fewer women have been applying to med school. U Miami's M:F ratio is ~60:40.

I want to know why admissions didn't select more single girls, this is ridiculous...

Reactions: Germanicus89

chibaddie

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016

Lol. I know of a bro that has said, "I'm only dating med school girls so they can help me pay off my debt during residency. Maybe help me match back into my state. After that? Deuces."

XxThaDoggxX

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
The DoggHouse
Status
Medical Student
Basically 1 week into a 2 week long orientation. Loving med school and my class--everyone thus far has been pretty incredible.

Drank a ton. Will report back once we have lectures.

Reactions: bcemslayer
OP
420 blaze it

420 blaze it

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Jul 10, 2016
Status
All of their orientation crap can be done in less than 2 days. Not even...

I'd rather get out of school a whole week earlier rather than doing pointless icebreakers from 8AM - 5PM everyday.
Don't forget meeting your lovely admin assistants and hearing their life stories

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My Pharmacology colleague once got asked "What's a protein"?

I am NOT making that up!

Give the Class about 1-2 more months. It will gel into a group that you will take a bullet for. Really.
Or how about this one:
"What's the difference between a proton and a protein?"

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
We haven't started real classes yet--right now is essentially an extended orientation, so there hasn't been a whole lot of actual work. As for my classmates, I have nothing but good things to say about them. At this point I think I have met everyone in the class at least once and obviously I've spent far more time with some of them than others, but everyday for the past week I've done something outside of class with fellow students and I've gotten along with all of them extremely well. People are constantly suggesting fun things to do as a group, and they all seem like wonderful people. Definitely not getting a "snide, gossipy" vibe at all. So far, I couldn't be happier. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune once the real work begins, though.

XxThaDoggxX

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
The DoggHouse
Status
Medical Student
We haven't started real classes yet--right now is essentially an extended orientation, so there hasn't been a whole lot of actual work. As for my classmates, I have nothing but good things to say about them. At this point I think I have met everyone in the class at least once and obviously I've spent far more time with some of them than others, but everyday for the past week I've done something outside of class with fellow students and I've gotten along with all of them extremely well. People are constantly suggesting fun things to do as a group, and they all seem like wonderful people. Definitely not getting a "snide, gossipy" vibe at all. So far, I couldn't be happier. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune once the real work begins, though.
This!!

All of their orientation crap can be done in less than 2 days. Not even...
I'd rather get out of school a whole week earlier rather than doing pointless icebreakers from 8AM - 5PM everyday.
While this is true, I worked way too hard to get here to not savor even some of the more annoying aspects. Also, its been a while since I have actually been "in class" and hitting the books, so the extended orientation has been a great way to ease me back into the swing of things.

Dec 1, 2014
This!!

While this is true, I worked way too hard to get here to not savor even some of the more annoying aspects. Also, its been a while since I have actually been "in class" and hitting the books, so the extended orientation has been a great way to ease me back into the swing of things.
haha You are saying this now... and trust me.. I was all wide-eyed and "omg I worked hard to get here and omg it's all a dream" too... but trust me daddy...

You will question why you are up at 8 AM talking about rape and will be even more amused as to the stupid questions your classmates ask.

At this point in the game.. it is literally all about common sense.... which I struggle to remember that a vast majority of med students lack.

But hey man, if orientation makes you happy, then YOU ENJOY IT YOU BRIGHT WHIPPERSNAPPER YOU!