New first years, what do you think of med school so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours are you studying?

• <2 on weekdays

• 3-5 on weekdays

• >5 on weekdays

• <4 on a weekend day

• 4-7 on a weekend day

• >7 on a weekend day

Results are only viewable after voting.
I really like my classmates so far. The only question I'm sick of hearing is asked of second years, "how do you study?"

Most second years will tell you that the first two years will be spent memorizing power point lectures. Might sound simple, but those are a lot of powerpoints.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Most second years will tell you that the first two years will be spent memorizing power point lectures. Might sound simple, but those are a lot of powerpoints.

Every one has told responded with a variation of, "it's different for every person, ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers."

There are so many hot girls in my class. It's really overwhelming. Good thing I'm engaged or else I'd be really distracted.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there! It's a common feeling. You are definitely not alone.
Thank you! I guess what's bothering me the most is that there's no real sense of direction. The lectures consist of a professor talking really fast about a bunch of diagrams on a powerpoint. There's no real direction of whether to study the powerpoint, PPT+Read books, PPT+Books+Qbanks. Luckily my first test is 10 days in so I'll know soon enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Every one has told responded with a variation of, "it's different for every person, ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers."

Everyone got a different experience, but pretty much you are going to spend much of your awake hours studying. I hear some posters saying that they have social lives and party and go out on dates, good for them, but for many people graduate school, medical school in particular is much harder. People had an easier time getting As and Bs in undergrad, for many people in medical school, they will have to work hard just to pass.

I've been amazed with how fast they jumped into it. We started class Monday with 150 PowerPoint slides on gross anatomy and embryology plus a 3 hour dissection.

How the F do people keep up that pace for 4 years, we covered more embryology in 1 day than I did in 4 years of undergrad.

Reactions: 8 users
I've been amazed with how fast they jumped into it. We started class Monday with 150 PowerPoint slides on gross anatomy and embryology plus a 3 hour dissection.

How the F do people keep up that pace for 4 years, we covered more embryology in 1 day than I did in 4 years of undergrad.
You'll get used to it pretty quickly. Also, anatomy is time-intensive; you'll have more free time when you're done with it.

Reactions: 5 users

Yikes! Here we were complaining when one prof gave lectures with 50 slides! (Others have been 30-40)

Yikes! Here we were complaining when one prof gave lectures with 50 slides! (Others have been 30-40)

lol. I had four path lectures in a row recently that were all 60-80 slides.
Kill me

I haven't started classes yet but orientation has been jam packed. I've liked the sessions and activities for the most part but some of the presentations have been really boring.

It's been nice meeting my classmates. They're a good group of people with diverse interests and backgrounds. Still, do people feel that socializing during orientation is a bit fake? I feel like each person meets many other people but most of the conversations are surface-level stuff about hometowns and undergrads and things like that. I'm sure some close friendships and cliques form during orientation but I feel like friendships will really grow when people study with each other and work together in small groups and participate in the same clubs and stuff. Is that accurate?

Also, I feel like almost every girl in my class is in a serious relationship :eek:

I haven't started classes yet but orientation has been jam packed. I've liked the sessions and activities for the most part but some of the presentations have been really boring.

It's been nice meeting my classmates. They're a good group of people with diverse interests and backgrounds. Still, do people feel that socializing during orientation is a bit fake? I feel like each person meets many other people but most of the conversations are surface-level stuff about hometowns and undergrads and things like that. I'm sure some close friendships and cliques form during orientation but I feel like friendships will really grow when people study with each other and work together in small groups and participate in the same clubs and stuff. Is that accurate?

Also, I feel like almost every girl in my class is in a serious relationship :eek:

exactly.

It's all small talk. I can't do it. I really can't.

I've bonded with a few peeps in the class only because we all laugh about how others are stressing out when **** hits the fan. And we all have some dark, twisted sense of humor.

So that makes the day go by quick.

I cannot believe how many slides are in one lecture! We received about 650 pages (2 slides per page) for just the first exam in 2 weeks! The pace seems crazy.

I cannot believe how many slides are in one lecture! We received about 650 pages (2 slides per page) for just the first exam in 2 weeks! The pace seems crazy.

It will become normal to you very soon

Members don't see this ad :)

Only 650 in 2 weeks? What is this, podiatry school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
It may be 650 slides but honestly. it's not like EVERY slide is worth memorizing. Another pet peeve of mine is when students (not you persay) make a huge big deal of the amount of material on an exam.

Duhhh... it's med school bruh.

It helps me to relieve my anxiety when I ask in the back of mind.. "is that it? Come on Professor... you can do better. Give us more."

It just piles on but there's no need to stress about the amount of slides.. just get through them. You really have no other choice lol

Please select one choice for the weekdays and one choice for weekends :)

It is really tough studying and putting work in, and feeling lost in certain areas, without the first test to use as a bench mark.. I feel like I could be not putting enough work in and not know it.

As for my classmates - what a bunch of douches!! lol!! It became high school within the first week. Everyone is either trying to reinvent themselves or perpetuate their popular legacy. I also enjoy the seemingly endless pool of happiness that oozes out of the facebook group. It is the "in" thing these days to be all "Eat, Pray, Love" and unified with the universe, much like it was "in" to be an emo in the late 2000s. Everyone is just so loving, and caring, and generous with their notes, and happy - even though they are a bunch of snide, gossipers

Your thoughts?
Whenever people ask me for advice in medical school (MS4 here), I tell them to find friends outside of Medical School in whatever city/town your in.

But when you think about it, that comes out to 2 32.5 page lectures/day. That's a normal undergrad day (except it probably covers more). Try rationalizing things to put it in perspective and it helps :)

Anki is taking me forever. So if anyone has tips for that... I only made 77 cards for 4 lecture hours and it took me 8 hours to do.

My school also keeps adding mandatory stuff. We have a mandatory hour long, small group discussion on how we are adjusting to school -_-

But when you think about it, that comes out to 2 32.5 page lectures/day. That's a normal undergrad day (except it probably covers more). Try rationalizing things to put it in perspective and it helps :)

Anki is taking me forever. So if anyone has tips for that... I only made 77 cards for 4 lecture hours and it took me 8 hours to do.

My school also keeps adding mandatory stuff. We have a mandatory hour long, small group discussion on how we are adjusting to school -_-

Here's an idea bro..just don't do anki.

Efficiency is the name of the game.

Review review review those powerpoints.

Repetition is the name of the game.

So far I've been amazed at how much my classmates are trying to burn themselves out. I'm talking studying 10+ hours on the first day of material which was basically just a review of high school chemistry.

So far I've been amazed at how much my classmates are trying to burn themselves out. I'm talking studying 10+ hours on the first day of material which was basically just a review of high school chemistry.
Meh, people are excited and/or really nervous and/or afraid of going into all this debt to not do really well.

I've studied than I have in any other undergrad class so far for a combo of all those reasons. Once everyone gets settled, they will scale back to whatever level they like

I had 4 days of orientation and now I've had 5 days of class so far. It's really intense. I mean, I expected it to be intense, but the volume of the material is actually what's getting at me. The second year's keep telling us that it's impossible to know everything so don't both trying, but then say things like "oh yeah, that professor tests on really specific lines out of the PowerPoint." So I have no idea how to study anymore and I'm driving myself crazy here. My usual undergrad study methods would be way too time consuming with this volume of material to be sustainable so I'm kinda freaking out and trying new things, and in the process I feel like I'm drowning right now. I also feel like I'm super behind because my major wasn't biology-based and our professors keep saying **** like "oh but this is review for most of you, so I'll go fast" and I'm sitting there like: .

So basically I'm super overwhelmed right now and kinda feeling like I'm all alone and wondering whether or not I'm going to be able to handle it.

My classmates are really nice, though! I like pretty much everyone I've met (although there were a few I wouldn't want to hang out with regularly because of the extremely arrogant vibe that makes me uncomfortable), but there are definitely a lot of cliques in my class already. Most people reach out on our Facebook group though and ask others to join/make class social events. I'm surprised by how often people go out here actually! I went out with them before and during orientation but I can't get myself to go now, I'm freaking out about the material too much.

This is definitely gonna be a tough ride. I hope that once I find my groove it will all get better...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Yea I'm with mansamusa, i've studied more than i ever have in my life so far. once i get my first exam behind me ill know whether to scale back or not (but to be honest there really isn't much more room for me to increase my studying time =/ )

also, lmao @ how slow and scared girls are with the dissections

1)

Here's an idea bro..just don't do anki.

Efficiency is the name of the game.

Review review review those powerpoints.

Repetition is the name of the game.

Rereading the PowerPoint a bunch of times is horribly inefficient. The name of the game is ACTIVE learning a.k.a. quizzing yourself via things like flash cards or practice questions...Reading the PowerPoint over and over again is passive learning, and it's been shown to be inferior. You need to engage with the material actively.

Reactions: 2 users
I had 4 days of orientation and now I've had 5 days of class so far. It's really intense. I mean, I expected it to be intense, but the volume of the material is actually what's getting at me. The second year's keep telling us that it's impossible to know everything so don't both trying, but then say things like "oh yeah, that professor tests on really specific lines out of the PowerPoint." So I have no idea how to study anymore and I'm driving myself crazy here. My usual undergrad study methods would be way too time consuming with this volume of material to be sustainable so I'm kinda freaking out and trying new things, and in the process I feel like I'm drowning right now. I also feel like I'm super behind because my major wasn't biology-based and our professors keep saying **** like "oh but this is review for most of you, so I'll go fast" and I'm sitting there like: .

So basically I'm super overwhelmed right now and kinda feeling like I'm all alone and wondering whether or not I'm going to be able to handle it.

My classmates are really nice, though! I like pretty much everyone I've met (although there were a few I wouldn't want to hang out with regularly because of the extremely arrogant vibe that makes me uncomfortable), but there are definitely a lot of cliques in my class already. Most people reach out on our Facebook group though and ask others to join/make class social events. I'm surprised by how often people go out here actually! I went out with them before and during orientation but I can't get myself to go now, I'm freaking out about the material too much.

This is definitely gonna be a tough ride. I hope that once I find my groove it will all get better...

You're not alone at all. I'm so behind in the material already that it feels like I've been procrastinating.....for months. Except I haven't been, at all. It took me 7 hours today to really solidify what we've done so far in embryology. And that's just 10% of the material so far at most. Luckily, I looked up from studying and saw "help" and "SOS" written on the white board among very intense diagrams of the visceral nervous system. So I think most people are in the same boat. I'm just trying to keep up with running and other things that keep me sane. It's hard to make time, but I think it helps to escape for a moment. At least the SP encounters are fun!

The water hose analogy is very accurate. Anatomy is evil, histology is manageable, dissection is actually fun and refreshing in a weird way ...looking forward to when anatomy is done as I feel I will enjoy the material more but who knows maybe every subject is gonna be a beat down.

Rereading the PowerPoint a bunch of times is horribly inefficient. The name of the game is ACTIVE learning a.k.a. quizzing yourself via things like flash cards or practice questions...Reading the PowerPoint over and over again is passive learning, and it's been shown to be inferior. You need to engage with the material actively.

I guess. I try to see the material again and again and again and it has helped me score 85-90% on all exams/ quizzes so far.

That could change, but just want the dude stressing out about anki to know that it may be time to just grind it out instead of spend hours trying to chug out buncha cards.

Last edited:
We haven't even started anatomy yet. This is supposed to be the "easy" part of the year we're just doing cell bio and biochem. And then we have histology, nutrition, and healthcare policy classes all year long, among other things.

SOS indeed.

Studied more these past couple days than I did in the entirety of undergrad, and I still feel like I'm so far behind my classmates.

Studied more these past couple days than I did in the entirety of undergrad, and I still feel like I'm so far behind my classmates.

Run your own race. Don't worry about your classmates. As long as you are getting through the material then you will be fine.

i cried a little in class on day 3

Thanks for the encouragement, I've been having serious doubts about whether or not I should actually stay in! Though I think everyone feels like this at some point or another.

Currently drowning. Being at school 6am-6pm keeps me at a B average :(

Finished our first block...they intentionally made this an 'easing-in' period for us, so it wasn't so bad. Interested to see how it ramps up from here after reading these comments.

Yea I'm with mansamusa, i've studied more than i ever have in my life so far. once i get my first exam behind me ill know whether to scale back or not (but to be honest there really isn't much more room for me to increase my studying time =/ )

also, lmao @ how slow and scared girls are with the dissections

1)
Wow, you're a fun one.
I am definitely the opposite of slow and scared dissecting, but it has the downside that while everyone else can mostly scrub the smell off, I end up overwhelmingly formaldehyde-y even at a distance after 6-8 scrubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's actually been manageable so far. I have to study about 5 hours a day in addition to class (which I'm going to stop going to soon), but I've gotten through everything and feel I've set myself up well for future passes of the material. We have an exam after each of the first 2 weeks so I'll be able to see how this has worked soon.

It's actually been manageable so far. I have to study about 5 hours a day in addition to class (which I'm going to stop going to soon), but I've gotten through everything and feel I've set myself up well for future passes of the material. We have an exam after each of the first 2 weeks so I'll be able to see how this has worked soon.

See, I'm really hesitant about not going to lectures. Will you then just listen to the recordings at 2x speed on your own then make your own notes?

Still, do people feel that socializing during orientation is a bit fake? I feel like each person meets many other people but most of the conversations are surface-level stuff about hometowns and undergrads and things like that. I'm sure some close friendships and cliques form during orientation but I feel like friendships will really grow when people study with each other and work together in small groups and participate in the same clubs and stuff. Is that accurate?

Sounds about right. Orientation (anywhere, not just med school) doesn't really give you the opportunity for deep bonding. Plus, making close friendships in the first few days of knowing people isn't all that common, anyway. For now, find people you can A) study with and B) socialize with so you don't get lonely. Close friendships will grow from there.

See, I'm really hesitant about not going to lectures. Will you then just listen to the recordings at 2x speed on your own then make your own notes?
I'm planning on making a review sheet for each lecture, like I have been doing, using the lecture outline and powerpoint. Then I'll watch the lecture 1-2 days later to reinforce it

I'm planning on making a review sheet for each lecture, like I have been doing, using the lecture outline and powerpoint. Then I'll watch the lecture 1-2 days later to reinforce it

That's pretty much what I've been doing as far as the review sheets go. Idk about watching the lecture again because of time limits. Maybe just hammering through my review sheet a few times and if there is something unclear, reference the lecture.

Watch at 2x (or faster if managable - 1 of my path profs talked so slow I was able to watch her lectures at 4x) --> take notes while watching, pausing if needed --> free-up a decent amount of time for studying or whatever else.

You're my favorite M1 poster by far. D-do you want to be my kohai?

Says the guy just starting.
First two exams: "active learning" with Anki and quizzes. Cs. Switching to reading PowerPoints only with practice questions the day before = As ever since.

Relying on flashcards/anki hinders your ability to actually understand things by just memorizing random facts/incerpts that were hopefully in your cards. You have table and/or several brute values you need to memorize? Sure, flashcards work fine for that.

Last edited:
First two exams: "active learning" with Anki and quizzes. Cs. Switching to reading PowerPoints only with practice questions the day before = As ever since.

Relying on flashcards/anki hinders your ability to actually understand things by just memorizing random facts/intercepts. You have table and/or several brute values you need to memorize? Sure, flashcards work fine for that.
Agreed. I've tried so hard to get quizlet to work for me, but it just kills me. I'm finding that writing everything on a whiteboard helps me the most so far.

Relying on flashcards/anki hinders your ability to actually understand things by just memorizing random facts/intercepts. You have table and/or several brute values you need to memorize? Sure, flashcards work fine for that.
It all depends on how you use it.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.

Everyone has different study techniques that work for them. That's incredibly important to realize. There is no "right" way to study for everyone.

Just did a set of 200 cards for a quiz on one week's worth of lecture on Anki.

What a dissapointment, terrible UI, not user friendly. I don't have time to read all the manuals when I should be studying. Will be going back to my tried and true method of multiple passes of the ppt.

I thought it would be worse but I'm managing. Our first exam is monday (put in 12 hours today.....sigh). I found the most efficient way for me to do anatomy was to study lecture and lab at the same time (i.e. wait until after the lab of the corresponding lecture to go through the lecture notes). otherwise everything was just random terminology, but it made a lot more sense. Histo is eh.....I digress. It's interesting at least :)

I absolutely loved med school. Best time of my life second only to residency. I am not joking. I made some awesome friends in med school, and I had lots of great experiences.

I absolutely loved med school. Best time of my life second only to residency. I am not joking. I made some awesome friends in med school, and I had lots of great experiences.

I really agree. This is going to sound a little cruel, but reading all these posts almost makes me nostalgic. Not that I'd ever want to go through MS1 again, but maaaaaaaan all those late nights in the library were so much fun. And so miserable. There's nothing like close friends who've been through the fire with you. And the thing is, almost everybody made it through just fine--even the ones who felt incredibly overwhelmed to begin with.

One thing I just want to say: if anybody's feeling too overwhelmed--to the point where you're shutting down--get help sooner rather than later. Like in all of medicine, early interventions matter. You don't want to be six months in with no support system and having to take classes over the summer, or even repeat a year, when an early call to student support could have gotten the ball rolling on a lot of different strategies to help you better cope. There's no shame in getting help, and everybody struggles.

Last edited: