New first years, what do you think of med school so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours are you studying?

• <2 on weekdays

• 3-5 on weekdays

• >5 on weekdays

• <4 on a weekend day

• 4-7 on a weekend day

• >7 on a weekend day

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just did a set of 200 cards for a quiz on one week's worth of lecture on Anki.

What a dissapointment, terrible UI, not user friendly. I don't have time to read all the manuals when I should be studying. Will be going back to my tried and true method of multiple passes of the ppt.
You sir, are a smart individual.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've never found powerpoints useful. I listened to the lecture, what's to read?

The non-bolded point about CD86 on slide 34, not mentioned in lecture, that came up on the test.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First week is pretty chill so far. Some of my classmates are killing themselves right now. I do reverse studying.

Reactions: 1 user
The non-bolded point about CD86 on slide 34, not mentioned in lecture, that came up on the test.
Meh, odds are if they said it or it was up there for a while, it's stuck somewhere in the recesses of my brain. Or it will come up in the sources I use for my actual studying. And if not, unranked p/f ftw!

I've never found powerpoints useful. I listened to the lecture, what's to read?
There's often a fair amount of info in lecture material that's fair game for exams that lecturers don't emphasize or discuss during lecture (obviously this doesn't apply to every lecturer, but it happens often enough). Reviewing PPTs/notes/summaries/review books (Skinny Linda, Pathoma, etc.) can be active - by your 2nd or 3rd pass don't just read, mentally talk through what comes next in the notes and why without looking at your notes. For example, while reviewing MSK path: get to osteopetrosis --> mentally go through the pathophysiology in your head, how that relates to the signs, symptoms, and other clinical features, what labs would show and why, and what the Tx it is and why. After that quickly go through your notes to see if you missed anything or your thought process was off. With each pass it takes less and less time. Another method would be to make a 1-2 page summary of each lecture and then just re-writing the summary from your head and checking it with your notes or initial summary to see what you missed (I tried this after ditching Anki but still found it a bit too time consuming for most lectures [not nearly as bad as Anki], a number of my classmates and those in the class above me liked this method though).

My beef with Anki is that it is horribly inefficient and time consuming. I used Anki for the first part of 1st year and hated it. When I dropped Anki and switched to just annotating review books with additional info that was only covered in lecture and using the method(s) above there was a significant decrease in the amount of time I spent studying and a significant increase in my performance on exams. My other issue with Anki is that its basically just memorization and not a good tool for learning to think conceptually (the only topics I can see it being useful for are anatomy, immunology, and some biochem topics, but again its still a huge time sink). During 1st and 2nd year we had weekly group quizzes in TBL, it droves me nuts when there was uncertainty about an answer amongst most of the group but one person was adamant about a given answer. When asked to explain his/her reasoning, a disproportionate amount of the time that person responded with, "I don't know. I just know I saw (insert random word here) on my card related to X." Or another time where there was a third order question regarding 2nd messenger systems and our group couldn't come to a consensus. The answer several of us were arguing for was PKC (this turned out to be the correct answer), however 3 people in the group were adamant that was incorrect - their only argument was that they didn't have any cards on PKC in their Anki decks so there was no way that could be the answer. By 2nd year only a handful of people in my class still used Anki and they were part of a small group that took turns making decks for lectures because of what a time sink it was. The problem with this was relying on other to make decent cards, which seemed to be a perpetual issue amongst that group as they all had different expectations as to what "decent" cards were which led to a lot of passive aggressive complaining to other classmates.

During 2nd year I tutored 1st years that were at risk for being dismissed due to block failures. A common theme was that most relied primarily on Anki for studying. Nearly all of the students who adopted the methods I described above, some other ones I didn't go into detail about, or a combo of them along with lots of practice problems had significant improvements on block exams and no longer needed tutoring. I realize different strokes for different folks, but based on what I observed in the class above me, my class, and the class below me Anki only tends to be truly effective for a small fraction of students. And don't bother making the "Anki works if you know how to properly use it" argument, I heavily researched and experimented with Anki prior to and during med school and knew how to use it.

TL;DR - Different strokes for different folks - Anki may work for some, but in my personal experience with it and what I observed among classmates, other study methods tend to be more effective and efficient. Keep an open mind with different study techniques and don't start first year with an Anki or bust attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There's often a fair amount of info in lecture material that's fair game for exams that lecturers don't emphasize or discuss during lecture (obviously this doesn't apply to every lecturer, but it happens often enough). Reviewing PPTs/notes/summaries/review books (Skinny Linda, Pathoma, etc.) can be active - by your 2nd or 3rd pass don't just read, mentally talk through what comes next in the notes and why without looking at your notes. For example, while reviewing MSK path: get to osteopetrosis --> mentally go through the pathophysiology in your head, how that relates to the signs, symptoms, and other clinical features, what labs would show and why, and what the Tx it is and why. After that quickly go through your notes to see if you missed anything or your thought process was off. With each pass it takes less and less time. Another method would be to make a 1-2 page summary of each lecture and then just re-writing the summary from your head and checking it with your notes or initial summary to see what you missed (I tried this after ditching Anki but still found it a bit too time consuming for most lectures [not nearly as bad as Anki], a number of my classmates and those in the class above me liked this method though).

My beef with Anki is that it is horribly inefficient and time consuming. I used Anki for the first part of 1st year and hated it. When I dropped Anki and switched to just annotating review books with additional info that was only covered in lecture and using the method(s) above there was a significant decrease in the amount of time I spent studying and a significant increase in my performance on exams. My other issue with Anki is that its basically just memorization and not a good tool for learning to think conceptually (the only topics I can see it being useful for are anatomy, immunology, and some biochem topics, but again its still a huge time sink). During 1st and 2nd year we had weekly group quizzes in TBL, it droves me nuts when there was uncertainty about an answer amongst most of the group but one person was adamant about a given answer. When asked to explain his/her reasoning, a disproportionate amount of the time that person responded with, "I don't know. I just know I saw (insert random word here) on my card related to X." Or another time where there was a third order question regarding 2nd messenger systems and our group couldn't come to a consensus. The answer several of us were arguing for was PKC (this turned out to be the correct answer), however 3 people in the group were adamant that was incorrect - their only argument was that they didn't have any cards on PKC in their Anki decks so there was no way that could be the answer. By 2nd year only a handful of people in my class still used Anki and they were part of a small group that took turn making decks for lectures because of what a time sink it was. The problem with this was relying on other to make decent cards, which seemed to be a perpetual issue amongst that group which led to a lot of passive aggressive complaining to other classmates.

During 2nd year I tutored 1st years that were at risk for being dismissed due to block failures. A common theme was that most relied primarily on Anki for studying. Nearly all of the students who adopted the methods I described above, some other ones I didn't go into detail about, or a combo of them along with lots of practice problems had significant improvements on block exams and no longer needed tutoring. I realize different strokes for different folks, but based on what I observed in the class above me, my class, and the class below me Anki only tends to be truly effective for a small fraction of students. And don't bother making the "Anki works if you know how to properly use it" argument, I heavily researched and experimented with Anki prior to and during med school and knew how to use it.

TL;DR - Different strokes for different folks - Anki may work for some, but in my personal experience with it and what I observed among classmates, other study methods tend to be more effective and efficient. Don't start first year with an Anki or bust attitude.
Oh aye...I'm not Anki or bust. It's just that, in undergrad I didn't study, period. So in my postbacc, I started trying all of the various styles out there to see what worked for me. For me, flashcards were the most efficient, especially if I made an effort to make them not memorization-only. There's a lot of utility in trying to understand mechanisms well enough to craft your own 3rd order questions on things you think a professor would explicitly think of as tricky.

I've tried taking notes, and I don't learn nearly as much from the lecture. And I've never understood rewriting notes by hand. If I'm going to do that, why not rewrite them into Anki? Same amount of writing, only it handles the review end for me! I tend to try and ask myself application questions as the flashcard, and then throw the details (copypasta from the textbook or slides) into the 'Extra' so that if I get it wrong, I have background and explanation there. And sure, I do my share of fact-memorization in the courses which require it, like Anatomy...but usually you can get integration there, too. I wouldn't just quiz myself with a picture of a nerve and 'ID this structure'. More like that, plus the same picture and "what is the primary action of the muscles innervated by the highlighted structure?" or "Injury to this structure would cause difficulty with what motion?"

Oh aye...I'm not Anki or bust. It's just that, in undergrad I didn't study, period. So in my postbacc, I started trying all of the various styles out there to see what worked for me. For me, flashcards were the most efficient, especially if I made an effort to make them not memorization-only. There's a lot of utility in trying to understand mechanisms well enough to craft your own 3rd order questions on things you think a professor would explicitly think of as tricky.

I've tried taking notes, and I don't learn nearly as much from the lecture. And I've never understood rewriting notes by hand. If I'm going to do that, why not rewrite them into Anki? Same amount of writing, only it handles the review end for me! I tend to try and ask myself application questions as the flashcard, and then throw the details (copypasta from the textbook or slides) into the 'Extra' so that if I get it wrong, I have background and explanation there. And sure, I do my share of fact-memorization in the courses which require it, like Anatomy...but usually you can get integration there, too. I wouldn't just quiz myself with a picture of a nerve and 'ID this structure'. More like that, plus the same picture and "what is the primary action of the muscles innervated by the highlighted structure?" or "Injury to this structure would cause difficulty with what motion?"
The Anki or bust comment was directed at MS1s as a whole not you individually.

The level of detail + amount of material is what's getting me. Some people can sit down in an afternoon and memorize the brachial plexus and all its associated muscles/branches but it takes me much more time to get something that complex Memorized.

I think I could do it if it was the only thing on my plate but we've also already covered all of the heart, thoracic cavity, and the first 3 months of embryonic development in 1 week...feel like there's just no way I'll be able to learn all this lol

The level of detail + amount of material is what's getting me. Some people can sit down in an afternoon and memorize the brachial plexus and all its associated muscles/branches but it takes me much more time to get something that complex Memorized.

I think I could do it if it was the only thing on my plate but we've also already covered all of the heart, thoracic cavity, and the first 3 months of embryonic development in 1 week...feel like there's just no way I'll be able to learn all this lol
There's always podiatry school...

It seems overwhelming at first but after the first exams you'll be used to it.

Getting a pet has been a good way for me to forget about school at nights. I live to forget. :eek:

i did ok on the anatomy written today but got bodied by that practical

crying right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a pet has been a good way for me to forget about school at nights. I live to forget. :eek:

I recently got a Guinea pig because my apartment doesn't allow cats and dogs. The other night I was so overwhelmed that I started to cry and she licked the tears off of my face. Literally she's the only reason I'm making it through....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
Yea my cat (my avatar) definitely makes it better. Except he rolled around in a pile of dirty scrubs so now he smells like formaldehyde.

Reactions: 3 users

I decided I couldn't do pods after I met someone who introduced himself as a "physician". Only much later did he reveal he had was a "Doctor of podiatric medicine"

There's no shame in being a pod but there's a ton in BSing about it

Premed here and I refuse to believe someone asked what's the difference between a protein and proton. Or anything else that crazy. I mean you have to do a decent job on the mcat to get in soo....I dunno if I can see someone being that absent minded.
Also, MS1 and above do you think it a waste of time if I spent my time reading the A&P books (or any other subject related to curriculum) cover to cover before matriculation? I know it's like I should enjoy my time before matriculation but 1)I love school 2) theoretically since I've already taken cell bio, A&P, biochem etc, that of I reread and accurately prepare as if I'm in med school then when I get there the volume and depth shouldn't be so scary.
I kinda figured most people would do that considering how difficult med school can be. The curriculum is online so I don't see why that wouldn't be a good idea. Let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Premed here and I refuse to believe someone asked what's the difference between a protein and proton. Or anything else that crazy. I mean you have to do a decent job on the mcat to get in soo....I dunno if I can see someone being that absent minded.
Also, MS1 and above do you think it a waste of time if I spent my time reading the A&P books (or any other subject related to curriculum) cover to cover before matriculation? I know it's like I should enjoy my time before matriculation but 1)I love school 2) theoretically since I've already taken cell bio, A&P, biochem etc, that of I reread and accurately prepare as if I'm in med school then when I get there the volume and depth shouldn't be so scary.
I kinda figured most people would do that considering how difficult med school can be. The curriculum is online so I don't see why that wouldn't be a good idea. Let me know.

How about instead of all that work, you tell yourself you'll be faced with a lot of volume but that it's doable and you won't let it intimidate you? There have been thousands upon thousands of students who have managed, you will be one of them if you make it to M1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's not a good idea just because you won't remember 99% of what you read and 50% of what you read would've been irrelevant. Really, the only reason I remember what I've learned so far is because I talked about it, applied it to situations, and have been tested on it.

It's really not too bad. If you want to prepare, practice sitting for a few hours in a row because it seems that's a lot of what the first 2 yrs of med school is, haha.

Do literally anything else besides pre-study. You'll cope when the time for coping arrives. Enjoy your pre-med life.

First few weeks weren't so bad. Everyone way over-hyped how much info you're presented with, and my school goes by an 18-month schedule. Given how much free time you have in the day, 3-5 hours of studying gives you the entire evening off every night.

First few weeks weren't so bad. Everyone way over-hyped how much info you're presented with, and my school goes by an 18-month schedule. Given how much free time you have in the day, 3-5 hours of studying gives you the entire evening off every night.

Maybe your school is different. But M2's at mine have described pre-clinical as the following "They teach you ABC, but you need to teach yourself the rest of the alphabet." I can't imagine 3-5 hours a day being enough, at least before your first test

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I recently got a Guinea pig because my apartment doesn't allow cats and dogs. The other night I was so overwhelmed that I started to cry and she licked the tears off of my face. Literally she's the only reason I'm making it through....
Hang in there!

I decided I couldn't do pods after I met someone who introduced himself as a "physician". Only much later did he reveal he had was a "Doctor of podiatric medicine"

There's no shame in being a pod but there's a ton in BSing about it
Someone else's introduction convinced you to stay away from an entire field? How dumb

I think by the time I'm done with anatomy I will have used up 90% of the storage space in my brain

I think by the time I'm done with anatomy I will have used up 90% of the storage space in my brain

Don't worry, it comes with an overwrite function.

Reactions: 5 users
just sitting here at 8am after spending all night taking another Kaplan practice test for my MCAT next Thursday. Let me at least ask a question while I'm here. I had a Kaplan tutor tell me that volunteering at the hospital would be a waste of my time, is this accurate at all? Does that actually help you get into med school at all?

just sitting here at 8am after spending all night taking another Kaplan practice test for my MCAT next Thursday. Let me at least ask a question while I'm here. I had a Kaplan tutor tell me that volunteering at the hospital would be a waste of my time, is this accurate at all? Does that actually help you get into med school at all?
Good question; not the place though. You'd get better luck in the entire forum dedicated to the "getting into med school" process.

Reactions: 8 users

I tended to be a more visual learner and drew out and talked through just about everything back in ms1-2

Please select one choice for the weekdays and one choice for weekends :)

It is really tough studying and putting work in, and feeling lost in certain areas, without the first test to use as a bench mark.. I feel like I could be not putting enough work in and not know it.

As for my classmates - what a bunch of douches!! lol!! It became high school within the first week. Everyone is either trying to reinvent themselves or perpetuate their popular legacy. I also enjoy the seemingly endless pool of happiness that oozes out of the facebook group. It is the "in" thing these days to be all "Eat, Pray, Love" and unified with the universe, much like it was "in" to be an emo in the late 2000s. Everyone is just so loving, and caring, and generous with their notes, and happy - even though they are a bunch of snide, gossipers

Your thoughts?

So far I hate it socially. I was a relatively well liked person in high school and undergrad and have been nothing but nice to everyone in med school so far.

I have tried making friends and initiating conversations but no one seems interested. Usually that wouldn't even bother me, but watching everyone become all buddy buddy when I really haven't met many people that remember my name. It's probably a personal flaw but it doesn't look like I will be making many friends during med school lol oh well I guess

So far I hate it socially. I was a relatively well liked person in high school and undergrad and have been nothing but nice to everyone in med school so far.

I have tried making friends and initiating conversations but no one seems interested. Usually that wouldn't even bother me, but watching everyone become all buddy buddy when I really haven't met many people that remember my name. It's probably a personal flaw but it doesn't look like I will be making many friends during med school lol oh well I guess
I feel you. If they hadn't separated us into assigned study groups for one class I wouldn't have friends in med school either. Especially because at least at my school they put a huge emphasis on making friends the first week so I felt like a failure when 10 days in I didn't really have a study group or support system

Reactions: 1 users

I wish I felt this way! Some days, between mandatory lectures/labs, 8am-4pm is eaten up pretty easily so the 5 hours studying after that begins to feel rather tasking. Granted, I might also be a little slow on the uptake since it takes me about 3 hours in lab staring at cadavers to come away with any sort of understanding. And then there's still the osteology, radiology, cross sections, clinical correlations and physical exam steps. I could be doing this 24/7 and still have not learned it all. I'm learning to accept that I will never feel fully confident with the material, rather just hopeful I learned enough to do as well as I can.

I feel you. If they hadn't separated us into assigned study groups for one class I wouldn't have friends in med school either. Especially because at least at my school they put a huge emphasis on making friends the first week so I felt like a failure when 10 days in I didn't really have a study group or support system
Yeah I read that med school was very clichey on here and it's 100% the truth

Blessing in disguise. Be thankful.

I wish I felt this way! Some days, between mandatory lectures/labs, 8am-4pm is eaten up pretty easily so the 5 hours studying after that begins to feel rather tasking. Granted, I might also be a little slow on the uptake since it takes me about 3 hours in lab staring at cadavers to come away with any sort of understanding. And then there's still the osteology, radiology, cross sections, clinical correlations and physical exam steps. I could be doing this 24/7 and still have not learned it all. I'm learning to accept that I will never feel fully confident with the material, rather just hopeful I learned enough to do as well as I can.
I go to the same school as the poster you were quoting, and our schedule is easy right now, so that's why we feel this way (we don't really start anatomy until next week).

Since last week (the first week) we only reviewed some undergrad cardio physiology, respiratory physiology, basic breakdown of the ANS, and osmolarity + clinical exam corresponding to these things. It's like the work of a part-time undergrad course load. It will probably ramp up next week

Last edited:
I love it so far. One exam already done. Had some really great luck with networking and made a ton of amazing friends with similar interests. Also loving the pace of living and breathing the study material day in and day out. I feel so enriched every day and I hope this lasts as long as possible before the fatigue.

I can't wait until I stop going to lecture in 4-6 weeks. I literally self-tech myself the materials on a regular basis 2-3 hours/day. I'm not currently happy with productivity due to the required mandatory lecture for the first couple of weeks.

Otherwise, the courseload is overhyped. It's been at a moderate pace so far. Anatomy is tough, but it's doable.

There is a Podiatry school affiliated with my medical school, the Pod students were learning almost the same basic sciences the first two years and were working just as hard.

I think the OP was just focusing on the wrong things, honestly if does not like his classmates, he needs to find a social circle outside of school to focus energy elsewhere, or focus on studies, or a smaller group of friends in school. Medical school is nothing like undergraduate. Most people in graduate school are no longer in the "fun" phase of life, I think he needs to see things from his classmates point of view and realize this and just focus on his own issues and studies rather than worry about them.

Anyone overwhelmed by studying and memorizing large volumes of information should go to Nursing school instead.

Last edited:
Anyone overwhelmed by studying and memorizing large volumes of information should go to Nursing school instead.

Wow. Just because someone is struggling a little bit with the volume of material at first doesn't mean they're incapable of doing well. It's just overwhelming at first largely because it's new. Woohoo for you that you're so great that you just jumped in. Doesn't look like you're doing well with the whole social aspect though. Good luck getting through med school without people in your corner.

And don't make nursing seem like it's an easy or second-choice thing to study....I had plenty of friends who went into nursing that worked their asses off and that's just as an undergrad.

Med school isn't bad... but let's be real.

Nursing is not as bad as med school... this is super evident by my buddies who are IN nursing school and are constantly playing COD and are almost done with some systems that we have barely scratched the surface with.

A typical exam WE cover easily contains more than 1500 slides of info. But it isn't bad at all. Just work hard.

Are you saying people who don't WANT to feel overwhelmed shouldn't got to med school?

Or that if you feel overwhelmed you somehow aren't cut out for med school?

Because one of those is a reasonable statement and the other is just plain delusional

I can't wait until I stop going to lecture in 4-6 weeks. I literally self-tech myself the materials on a regular basis 2-3 hours/day. I'm not currently happy with productivity due to the required mandatory lecture for the first couple of weeks.

Otherwise, the courseload is overhyped. It's been at a moderate pace so far. Anatomy is tough, but it's doable.

It took me a grand total of 4 days to stop going to class. Best decision I've made yet

I feel like everyone is working harder than me.

I just watch through the day's lectures at 1.2-1.3x speed taking notes. Then on the weekend, I do the assigned quizzes and make summary sheets for my lectures. I don't do anything else.

All in all it takes about 3-5 hours on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. Is anyone else doing just this much or should I be stepping it up?

Wow. Just because someone is struggling a little bit with the volume of material at first doesn't mean they're incapable of doing well. It's just overwhelming at first largely because it's new. Woohoo for you that you're so great that you just jumped in. Doesn't look like you're doing well with the whole social aspect though. Good luck getting through med school without people in your corner.

And don't make nursing seem like it's an easy or second-choice thing to study....I had plenty of friends who went into nursing that worked their asses off and that's just as an undergrad.

I finished medical school btw, got along fine. I was addressing the OP who was having trouble with his first year and merely making some suggestions.
The OP was also complaining about classmates not being so nice, my suggestion was to find a social circle outside school. People go to medical school to do something, to become doctors, sometimes they do not come across as very nice, don't take it personally, they worked hard to get there, they spent a lot of money, and got into a lot of debt, if they do not seem so friendly, find friends elsewhere that make you more comfortable. That being said always keep civil with your classmates but you do not have to hold their hands and sing kumbaya.

Last edited:
I feel like everyone is working harder than me.

I just watch through the day's lectures at 1.2-1.3x speed taking notes. Then on the weekend, I do the assigned quizzes and make summary sheets for my lectures. I don't do anything else.

All in all it takes about 3-5 hours on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. Is anyone else doing just this much or should I be stepping it up?

I'm sure it's wayyyy school dependent.

I don't think that'd work at my school but that's because they're for some reason hell bent on teaching all of anatomy, histology, and embryology simultaneously in the first 8 weeks lol.

I've been putting in 16 hour days 7 days a week and am still pretty behind. However I'm pretty sure I'm towards the bottom of my class' intelligence gradient. You may just be one of those people who this material comes naturally too!