New for Pain Recertification- re PMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ducttape

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Dr. Ducttape,

Beginning in 2020, our Board will offer its longitudinal assessment technology to diplomates of other medical specialties to maintain their Pain Medicine certification. Until now, diplomates of our co-sponsoring boards – American Boards of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR), Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), and Radiology (ABR) – with current certificates in Pain Medicine took a high-stakes recertification exam every 10 years. Our Pain Medicine-certified diplomates have been using MOCA Minute to maintain their certification since 2017. The new Longitudinal Assessment – Pain Medicine is now available for use by these Board should they choose to use it.

As proponents of continuous learning and as a co-sponsoring board of the Pain Medicine Certificate, we are pleased to provide ABPMR, ABPN and ABR with the technology behind MOCA Minute to power their own longitudinal assessment tools.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.

Sincerely,

David O. Warner, M.D.
Secretary

Members don't see this ad.

i sort of liked the 10 year recert exam. sort of...

Members don't see this ad :)
just did my first few questions yesterday. money grab.

Reactions: 1 user
What's infuriating is that I took the ABPMR PMR recert exam 2/19 and Pain recertification exam 9/19. I should be good for 10 years. But no, they're now telling me I have to start participating in the LA-PMR in 2025. It's almost criminal what they're doing. Is anyone else in this situation?

I still dont understand what I'm supposed to do with this thing. I essentially ignored the email bc I couldn't figure it out...Of course I paid my $200.

i paid every year until this last year. my friend gets emails stating he owes back the 200 per year. he's at 800 now... we have now been placed on on the "not in compliance" list.

They are selling a product, plain and simple.

Can someone explain how the longitudinal system vs. the 10year exam works? The exam is out then? Is it a series of smaller quizzes/tests, or projects or what?

The ABA is really patting itself on the back for selling this product to all of the other boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I also see that we’re now have 2 PIPs instead of one. Thanks ABPMR

odd...

previously, every poster complained about the 10 year recert exam and how onerous it is.

now that there is a much easier and less stressful method, everyone seems to love the old exam.
go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
fwiw, the MOCA minute is answering 30 questions every 3 months. 1 min to read and answer multi choice question. answers and explanation given right away. questions have been reasonable. get question wrong, you apparently will get it again, I guess to help solidify the teaching point.
I do them when im bored.

of course, it costs money. I guess ppl expect it to be free?

odd...

previously, every poster complained about the 10 year recert exam and how onerous it is.

now that there is a much easier and less stressful method, everyone seems to love the old exam.
go figure.

I was thinking the same thing. Why is everyone complaining? This is 10x better.
I did the first set of Qs a week ago, super easy and quick. I’m so happy to never have to sit and study for a stupid exam again.

fwiw, the MOCA minute is answering 30 questions every 3 months. 1 min to read and answer multi choice question. answers and explanation given right away. questions have been reasonable. get question wrong, you apparently will get it again, I guess to help solidify the teaching point.
I do them when im bored.

of course, it costs money. I guess ppl expect it to be free?

That seems much more reasonable. So you have to pay but you do this from the comfort of your own home it seems - and you continue taking the exam until you pass? That seems much better than studying minutia for a test, paying thousands, potentially failing and get unboarded.

That seems much more reasonable. So you have to pay but you do this from the comfort of your own home it seems - and you continue taking the exam until you pass? That seems much better than studying minutia for a test, paying thousands, potentially failing and get unboarded.
I believe this new system also requires a certain score of correct answers as well. If you don't get it, you fail and then I think you have to start from square one to get recertified with a full exam.

Just in case you thought you were in the clear lol.

My recert cost me around $30k. I had to take two boards in three weeks. Took 2 weeks off to study. Tons of lost income and stress.

Im not as smart as you guys so had to study.

These boards are EXTORTIONISTS. I wish I could file a lawsuit.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe this new system also requires a certain score of correct answers as well. If you don't get it, you fail and then I think you have to start from square one to get recertified with a full exam.

it is reviewed on the website.

fwiw, I'm getting 75% of the questions right, and have a MDT of 1.0. you would really have to work hard and purposefully guess wrong to get an MDT of 0.1 (and I'm doing 1/2 anesthesiology questions, which I haven't been doing for 9+ years).

for 2 certifications, $310 per year, 10 years, $3100. 1/10th what you paid for your board recerts. have not spent extra time studying.

but to each their own, I guess...

My recert cost me around $30k. I had to take two boards in three weeks. Took 2 weeks off to study. Tons of lost income and stress.

Our cohort should have been grandfathered into the lifetime certification and they (ABPMR) should have implemented it on a forward rolling basis for cohorts "not yet born."

I will always resent ABPMR for turning their back on those of us who began our residency training with the understanding & promise that we were to be lifetime certified and instead pimped/exhorted to pay for inflated staff and executive director salaries via a non-evidence based MOC scheme.

fwiw, I'm getting 75% of the questions right, and have a MDT of 1.0. you would really have to work hard and purposefully guess wrong to get an MDT of 0.1 (and I'm doing 1/2 anesthesiology questions, which I haven't been doing for 9+ years).

for 2 certifications, $310 per year, 10 years, $3100. 1/10th what you paid for your board recerts. have not spent extra time studying.

This sucks too because it is continuous. Nagging notifications “ we have new questions for you”. But, I think it’s better than an exam and all of the stress of that. I have taken that damn exam 3 times - original cert and two recerts . I would be doing another 2023.

A full exam as in the typical exam? I thought that no longer existed?

if you think you are unlucky - I should have been grandfathered in to 4 separate boards.

but I didn't, and I'm not. but I believe in the importance of keeping up with current medical practice and finding some verifiable way of documenting such... even if it includes stem cells.

I think the lost income from having to study even if a few weeks, is what sucks the most!

if you think you are unlucky - I should have been grandfathered in to 4 separate boards.

but I didn't, and I'm not. but I believe in the importance of keeping up with current medical practice and finding some verifiable way of documenting such... even if it includes stem cells.

Did you miss the cutoff date?
I lucked out with Anesthesiology - lifetime. One plus of advanced age.

I'll seriously go in with you if you do file...it's a complete racket. Glad I took two board exams last year just to be told they're no long good for the full 10 years

I'll seriously go in with you if you do file...it's a complete racket. Glad I took two board exams last year just to be told they're no long good for the full 10 years

Didn't IM already file a lawsuit and it was dismissed? I agree completely - board certification is a racket. And if they are hiring NPs with minimal experience to replace physicians - why is board certification so important?

Reactions: 2 users
I believe in the importance of keeping up with current medical practice and finding some verifiable way of documenting such... even if it includes stem cells.
Do you see this being a significant issue? I see a ton of fraud and abuse but I can't say I've ever seen substandard care I thought was due to not doing moc.