Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

New format NBDE 1 exam score curve.

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by Cresent Star, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Cresent Star

Cresent Star New Member

Hi,

As we all know that NBDE 1 score is always a “percentile” not “percentage”.. so the one who score most out of 400 should get a score of “99”…

This new format NBDE 1 2007 should’ve had a new score curve since it no more has 4 sections and has comprehensive 400 questions… but yet the highest score so far we have been reported in SDN is of Dental Dork 09 and is “88” , the rest are lower …

Since this kind a test was taken for the first time the score percentile will be changing often… the bigger the score pool gets the better the percentile score range gets…

I’m just amazed that we r missing from 89-99 score…..it can’t be that no one got these scores, otherwise it wont be percentile…..

One more point……… Computerised NBDE 1 test cannot be just one test of 400 q’s… there must be Test B of 400 q’s somewhat different then Test A and like wise C or D etc… its your own luck which one u get on the day of ur test…

The question is……… is the score percentile made from all those combined Tests A, B , C or D etc or each separate percentile since one might attempt good test B but can attempt excellent test A….

Cresent Star

2. sunny06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  3. teotia

teotia Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

hi even i had taken part 1 but i got very low score 80 can u please tell me what are the lowest score gone as u have told highest 88, i am confused what should i do should retake or not? i am very much worried share ur view regarding this will be highly appreciated.

4. rrav

2+ Year Member

The percentiles are calculated over a pool of test takers. That pool may span several months or weeks. So I have a feeling that the new format is tougher and people are scoring low, ending up in lower percentiles because the percentile is calculated over a pool of recent test takers that also includes old format results. - Just a guess, not to scare you guys ;)

5. LKY

LKY
    2+ Year Member

It looks like the question they asked is similar with the old pattern, but we need to get more right Answer to get a similar scores with the old pattern. As refer to Drock post, with 324 out of 400 right question, he only get 89. With 80-90 % raw scores, you usually will get 90 above....based on the 1998 curve.

6. OP
    OP
    Cresent Star

Cresent Star New Member

percentile in any exam always has a "99" score and subsequent lower scores.... it just can't be possible that all are getting in 80's...... e.g. if the 350/400 was the highest score by a candidate "A" then it should be "99" the the susequent lower scores are according to that... and if anyone score more then that, then that becomes the "99" score norm.... what I just don't understand is what kind of new curve is this that no one has gotin 90's so far, this leaves only one asnwer possible is that there is no new curve and they are only comparing the new scores with old curve...

as far as some people claiming about there raw score in every different sections... I think thats just a hoax... no one can tell section wise raw score... absolutely no one.. they sure can say that they had comprehensive 300/400 answers but can't say each section seperately... coz.... you just can't tell whether Muscles of mastication belongs to either Anatomy section or Dental Anatomy & Occlusion section.. same goes to oral histo questions too...

and raw scores people think that they have scored right, may not be right after all... coz thats ur guess only and guesses arn't always right....

bottom line you don't know which question belongs to which section specifically.. its just comprehensive 400 q's...

7. LKY

LKY
    2+ Year Member

Percentile of 99 is only 0.7%, 96-98 is 2.2% and above 90 is 12.1 % from the first attempt student- Based on the old patern. It might be this 12.1% student not a member of this forum... just my guest.

8. rrav

2+ Year Member

I think these 12.1% of the test test takers were tested in old format and they scored high in old format. I think new format is really tough compared to old format and new format test takers are falling in lower percentiles because the percentaile calculation currently includes both old format and new format test takers.

9. miniwheats

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How do you figure that the current percentile calculations are including both the old and new format test takers? Why would they do that since the exams are such different styles....? I'm only curious b/c I'm taking it at the end of the week that doesn't seem fair, hahaha. :eek:

10. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    does anyone know what happens if you let say score 80 overall grade but got a 68 in biochem? do you still retake the sections you failed or the whole exam over?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. miniwheats

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I asked the same thing earlier this week haha. I looked at the candidate guide and, essentially, it's number correct out of 300 that determines passing; they give you the raw scores for each "section" for information purposes. This is cut and pasted from the Candidate guide:

Two factors affect a candidate's score: the number of correct answers selected by the candidate and the score scale conversion for the examination. For National Board Dental Examinations, there is no penalty for selecting an incorrect response. A candidate's total score is reported in terms of a standard score, which has been converted from the total number of correct answers.

...The minimum passing score on the examination is then reported with a score of 75....The numbers of correct responses for subject areas included in the examination are printed on the score report. Because of the differences in the relative difficulties of items, it is not appropriate to compare raw score information across examination attempts.

Part I is a comprehensive examination; therefore, one official score is reported. The candidate will receive additional information regarding performance on each of the disciplines covered in the examination. This information is provided for informational purposes and might help the candidate understand areas of strong or weak performance.

12. sunny06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    dear friends I got my result today .I took exam in new pattern n my score is 90.

13. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

awesome......

thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. rrav

2+ Year Member

Congratulations! Well done!

It might also indicate that the skews are settling in. :D

15. confused tooth

confused tooth Watcha lookin at?
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student

Congratulations........ good job :)

16. Venkatcpp

5+ Year Member

hey.... congrats man... finally i do hear of sum1 vth 90...
    gr8 keep it up......
    hope u dont sharin sum info......
    wat materials did u use....
    how was da xm???

thanks a ton......

17. jaz16

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hey congrats ,at least someone got 90 ....can u plz share some info regarding the material u used and info abt the exam....
    congats again gr8 job :thumbup:

18. jaz16

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    congrats sunny06 ... i think u r the first one who got 90 with new pattern..can u plz share ur score detail and info regarding the material u reffered for the exam .. tat would be really helpful ...can u plz tell tat have u taken this exam before with old format ,if yes wat was the main difference b/w two and which subject was actually difficult...thanx in advance ...and all the best for ur future...

19. oldmirage

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    many congratulations..it really is a wonderful score since u managed to touch the magical 90 in the new format..
    can u plz provide ur raw scores which can help many like me who r yet to take their exam..

20. sunny06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dear friends thanks for ur support n best wishes .
    regarding new pattern I found it difficult n most difficult part was clinical scenario. my raw score I had already pasted in one of the scrap.
    Now friends tell me where shd I apply I don't know .plz help as we always help one another.

21. rrav

2+ Year Member

Call NYU and apply today! For other schools, I think you can get in only in 2008. Save some money till then.

22. Budding dentist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey sunny...congrats on your score...glad atleast someone got a 90....i havent given my exam yet...plannin on givin it in august....im guessin u would wanna apply for the 2008 program..where do u wanna go east coast or west coast?..the application deadlines for the west coast are a lot earlier than the east coast so u should decide accordingly..i wouldnt advise u to join nyu coz its 3 yrs instead of the normal 2 yrs elsewhere...i was told that nyu should be like a last option...ive heard upen is the best..but it has very few seats....even boston univ is good....its got a lot more seats..if u wanna get into tufts u might need a part 2 score too...do u have any work experience..many of these univs prefer that....ill find out more info and let u know asap...did u give the exam for the first time....?...regardin the clinical scenario could u advise me as to how to go about studyin?...do i need to brush up on medecine and pharmac?....what about patinet managmt and ethics...where should i read up that from? plz tell me what additional material i need to refer to for the new pattern....as of now..im stickin to 2004 decks...2006 decks....and question papers and kaplans..is that enough?.hope to hear from u soon...thanx

23. sunny06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dear friends,
    I appeared on 6th feb so I had no information at that time regarding new pattern .I didn't prepare for etheics n luckily there were two questions only.
    Rest I studied decks n old papers n they helped alot.
    i found clinical scenario were related to basic knowledge of anat, physio n patho .I don't think one need extra studying medicine n pharmac.
    I hope my experience will help.

24. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    well i am taking it on mon and i havent looked at any ethics and dont know what to look at. hopefully it wont kill me.

25. hzyyq

hzyyq Junior Member

26. rahmed

rahmed SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    That's an excellent score. Would you be kind to post your raw score, just for the knowledge and (somekind of) assessment for the future candidates.

Congrats once again and Thanks.

rahmed

27. sara.riazi

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I got my result it is 82,unfortunately I didn't have some of the old exams but if I did I could do better.Anyway I'm trying to get ready for the second round

28. sara.riazi

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    my raw was
    Da 65,anatomy was64,bio was75,micro65

29. E.M

E.M
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    please please tell me how long this takes with you to got that hi score
    i wanna take ndb1 but i need someone to tell me how to start studying
    thanks alot

30. PickPocket

PickPocket New Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hey.. i got an 84... i am plannin to apply... is it wise enuf?... whr shud i apply.. congrats sunny.... ur score is excellent....

31. mcr

mcr New Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
  32. verticalbitewin

2+ Year Member

ok, but the real question is WHO CARES?