>>>>New Forum: Topics in Healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

In an effort to make SDN a more user-friendly place, we've decided to create a subforum for the pre-med section. We're calling it "Topics in Healthcare" and it's going to be the place to discuss all of your healthcare related issues. That way, Pre-Allo and Pre-Osteo can better focus on application stuff. And by putting the forum in the pre-med area, it allows everyone to discuss stuff in the same "house."

Anyway, this is just a heads-up for everyone. We're going to evaluate the forum on a traffic-load basis, so if y'all would like to see it last, make sure that you participate!

Best,

Evo

Members don't see this ad.

this is a good implementation, i hadnt thought of it. good old consolidation.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i've got an interview due in two days, what do you think is the biggest problem with health care and how to deal with it?

i'd like to get some ideas...

thanks for feedbacks,
bachi

You must watch ABC at 10PM e/s time!!!

Peter Jennings (His last behind the scenes interview) will be talking about:

The American Healthcare Crisis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sOOooo tuning in!

Really? A one hour or two hour show to discuss the obvious: we need to get away from privatization and adopt the same National Health Cares system that exist in: Scandinavia, Japan, Switzerland and Canada. This topic will get old. There is no need for profit when we think about the survival of individuals, but alas, both Hospitals and HMOs are mostly (with few exceptions) privately owned and for profit. If one really cares about health care, REALLY, my opinion is that:
1. more social medicine is necessary
2. less government favor of HMOs and pharmaceutical companies
(especially when it comes to new drugs (vioxx) and lobbying
3. Complete illegalization of conflict of interest links between academia and industry (no faculty should be allowed to mingle with companies)
4. Revision of patent law to give more rights to universities and public institutions like NIH
5. TRUE exposure to social medicine (show what the health care system is REALLY like in Japan and others above)
6. more government innitiatives for the looming geriatric crisis: more people living longer
7. REALLY deal with social security
8. BETTER government incentives to go into really needy areas (otherwise all this is bull crap)
9. Government bailouts of Hospitals in a similar fashion to airlines
10. Better planned, more rigorous and better funded clinical trials of both new and non-traditional medicines.

Much of this is REALLY common sense with no easy solution or happy medium. This country was founded by industrialists whose marginal and myopic point of view has trasncended into this obvious looming health care crisis. To REALLY begin to deal with the problem, the entire infrastructure must be changed. So....who's gonna start it. You...me...them????? Health care. What an oxymoron. I mean we would have to do away with junk food too. No more hippocrisy. No more "do as I say, not as I do." This is system is for the rich to perpetuate the rich. :mad:

It's a joke. And although we have had some great achievements we should not settle and try and become the human society we are supposed to become. Better...faster...stronger...healthier...

Status
Not open for further replies.