New GI Bill + HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcclesm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted my question under another thread from 2 years ago--probably shouldn't have done that.

Anyways, I think I can get the new GI Bill and HPSP at the same time, but what happens to the GI Bill tuition money since HPSP pays full tuition?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to hear an answer aswell, anyone know the truth on this?

i don't have a definitive answer, but I don't think you can receive double benefits from the government. If i remember correctly, the HPSP contract stipulates that you can't receive any other form of government scholarship while in HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can. But at a much reduced benefit. The VA is still writing the rules for the post 911 GI bill. Best answer, apply and find out.

Couldn't you use the old GI bill instead? I shouldn't have gone away, and it makes $$$ payments instead of paying your tuition directly. That is, if you can use either one while on HPSP.

I know that if you are from a state that supports it...WI, IL you can have your federal benifits plus your state benefits and basically get paid to go to school for free...but using both federals is possibly tricky. I saw a post from a person saying that they have been recieving GI Bill while on HPSP so it must be possible if that person is telling the truth.

I saw a post from a person saying that they have been recieving GI Bill while on HPSP so it must be possible if that person is telling the truth.

possible. but perhaps not legal or intended.

i don't have a definitive answer, but I don't think you can receive double benefits from the government. If i remember correctly, the HPSP contract stipulates that you can't receive any other form of government scholarship while in HPSP.

You can use the GI Bill (the old one....not sure how they're going to handle the new one) as an HPSP student. It's NOT illegal and if you're Navy, you can go to their HPSP website and they even specifically say you can receive both (and you can receive both for other services too) if you wanted to see something in writing. I'm currently receiving both right now. I paid into the GI Bill (so that really doesn't make the GI Bill a scholarship), so I have a right to use it for my education.