new GI bill question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onthego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody out there is currently using the new GI bill that was passed to pay for medical school. Is this even possible? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anybody out there is currently using the new GI bill that was passed to pay for medical school. Is this even possible? Thank you.

You can use the new GI Bill to pay for medical school if you qualify for it (i.e. served your time in the military, etc). But there is no special deal for med school

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use the new GI Bill to pay for medical school if you qualify for it (i.e. served your time in the military, etc). But there is no special deal for med school

What do you mean by no special deal for med school? I understand the new GI bill won't take into effect until next year. A resident in the army told me that you can't use the GI bill for professional school such as medical school. Is this accurate? Once again, thank you for the previous responses.

A resident in the army told me that you can't use the GI bill for professional school such as medical school. Is this accurate? Once again, thank you for the previous responses.

Bulls#it. You can use the GI Bill for any degree or certificate granting program. Last time I checked, med school grants a degree at the end.

Last time I checked, med school grants a degree at the end.

CRAP!!! I knew my med school was missing something . . . .

Just a joke from a proud University of Pheonix Online Alum

Bulls#it. You can use the GI Bill for any degree or certificate granting program. Last time I checked, med school grants a degree at the end.

Actually, that's not entirely true anymore. They are still working out the nitty gritty details, but while there are huge improvements in the new GI Bill, there are also quite a few holes in this new one. There is a head to head comparison of the two programs at this link:

http://education.military.com/money...ad-to-head-comparison-of-old-and-new-gi-bills

I think the major difference is that the new GI Bill only covers programs offered by a college or university. I'm pretty sure that includes medical school, but of course, the most you would be eligible for would the be the cost of the most expensive in state undergrad school. Of course there's the BAH also. Anyways, hope that helps answer some questions.

Actually, that's not entirely true anymore. They are still working out the nitty gritty details, but while there are huge improvements in the new GI Bill, there are also quite a few holes in this new one. There is a head to head comparison of the two programs at this link:

http://education.military.com/money...ad-to-head-comparison-of-old-and-new-gi-bills

I think the major difference is that the new GI Bill only covers programs offered by a college or university. I'm pretty sure that includes medical school, but of course, the most you would be eligible for would the be the cost of the most expensive in state undergrad school. Of course there's the BAH also. Anyways, hope that helps answer some questions.

So it sounds like this should apply to residency training for us GMOs headed out to civilian GME, as long as we choose a University affiliated program. Opinions?

So it sounds like this should apply to residency training for us GMOs headed out to civilian GME, as long as we choose a University affiliated program. Opinions?
That wouldn't be my read. The new GI Bill sounds as if it is a tuition-centric program, not one that you get a lump payment while you're training. Maybe you'd get the BAH, but you wouldn't get any tuition reimbursement because you wouldn't be paying any tuition while in residency.

But you'd still be able to use the old GI Bill, so you'd get your $1,300/month or whatever they offer these days.

Maybe they'll make some special note for residency in the new GI Bill, but it doesn't look like they have yet and unless a special footnote is made, it would be a stretch to think you'd be able to apply it.

[They are still working out the nitty gritty details, [/quote]

Very true, and this could have huge affects on how much we can receive. Senator AKAKA is the head of the Veterans Affairs committee. It is said he is working on further legislation to help clarify some issues. Let him know how you feel:

http://akaka.senate.gov/public/inde...rans' Affairs&content_id=20#Veterans' Affairs

[I'm pretty sure that includes medical school, but of course, the most you would be eligible for would the be the cost of the most expensive in state undergrad school. [/quote]

Unfortunately, it may in the end be true that the VA will only pay up to instate undergraduate tuition, but that is not how the bill reads. Yes I know that is what military.com is saying, but the actual bill says:

`Sec. 3313. Educational assistance: amount; payment

`(A) An amount equal to the established charges for the program of education, except that the amount payable under this subparagraph may not exceed the maximum amount of established charges regularly charged in-State students for full-time pursuit of programs of education by the public institution of higher education in the State in which the individual is enrolled that has the highest rate of regularly-charged established charges for programs of education among all public institutions of higher education in such State.

Here is a thread where there was some pretty good discussion of this topic

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=538872&highlight=post+911+gi+bill

I agree that for residency using Chapt 30 is the better way to go, since there is no tuition, and the GI Bill plus Kicker (if you payed into it) will pay better than BAH + $1000.

Again, every time I read these discussions about the Post 9/11 GI bill, I feel like everyone is just lying down and accepting that it will only pay undergrad tuition rates. The VA has not said this, they are waiting for directon from congress. So if you would like to save $$ (approx $40K for me) then write your congress persons, write Akaka.... I just found out one of my old submarine cronies is now a laywer at the VA so I'm writing him too.

sorry if this was a bit of a rant

Me!!! Starting August 01, 2009. I called the VA office and got some clarification on some things. Here is the scoop... Nothing is offical yet. All the numbers and incentives are just ideas right now! Nothing is official and the actual new MGIB plan is still getting the kinks worked out. Looks like it could be good though, especially the E5 BAH rates. I was lucky to get a 40k college fund for joing. To my knowledgem that money just adds on to the monthly amount. (example 1200 a month becomes 1500 a month or something like that). As far as BAh as of right now, it will be based on the location of the institution. However, it will (>90%) become based on your mailing address. This will allow Distance learners to still quality for the BAH part. (Still under revision though!)

I agree that for residency using Chapt 30 is the better way to go, since there is no tuition, and the GI Bill plus Kicker (if you payed into it) will pay better than BAH + $1000.

What if the BAH for E5 w/ Dep is > 1321 a month? Say in NYC or something like that.

Read through a couple threads and the comparison. I still don't understand.

If I finish my HPSP commitment as a GMO/FS and go to a civilian residency, can I still use the GI bill to help make ends meet during residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I finish my HPSP commitment as a GMO/FS and go to a civilian residency, can I still use the GI bill to help make ends meet during residency?
I haven't been able to get a bead on how (or if) the new GI bill will work for residency. That said, you should still be able to use the old GI bill and get your $1,300/mo during residency.

Me!!! Starting August 01, 2009. I called the VA office and got some clarification on some things. Here is the scoop... Nothing is offical yet. All the numbers and incentives are just ideas right now! Nothing is official and the actual new MGIB plan is still getting the kinks worked out. Looks like it could be good though, especially the E5 BAH rates. I was lucky to get a 40k college fund for joing. To my knowledgem that money just adds on to the monthly amount. (example 1200 a month becomes 1500 a month or something like that). As far as BAh as of right now, it will be based on the location of the institution. However, it will (>90%) become based on your mailing address. This will allow Distance learners to still quality for the BAH part. (Still under revision though!)

Congratulations by the way on acceptance to medical school.

I was just wondering why you think BAH will/might become eligible for distance learners? As of now it is not.

The reason I ask is that I'm currently taking an MBA course online while in medical school-- St. Matthew's University School of Medicine in Grand Cayman.

BTW, I'm also a military trained (Army) MLT, Ft. Sam Houston TX 96-97; at the time I believe the NAVY was giving 20,000 bonus for that position.

What if the BAH for E5 w/ Dep is > 1321 a month? Say in NYC or something like that.

Read through a couple threads and the comparison. I still don't understand.

You can still use the old GI bill. The new one will not cover residency/fellowship training because it's considered On the Job Training (OJT) and not a degree program.

You can still use the old GI bill. The new one will not cover residency/fellowship training because it's considered On the Job Training (OJT) and not a degree program.

My understanding is that residency/fellowship actually is consider the equivalent of a degree program because its a certification program. This distinction is important because there's more money. Can anyone help us out here?

Ed

My understanding is that residency/fellowship actually is consider the equivalent of a degree program because its a certification program. This distinction is important because there's more money. Can anyone help us out here?
I thought the new GI Bill (aside from BAH) is based on percentage of tuition. Since residency programs don't charge tuition or fees, wouldn't your reimbursement be limited to BAH? So wouldn't the old GI Bill have a better payout?

I thought the new GI Bill (aside from BAH) is based on percentage of tuition. Since residency programs don't charge tuition or fees, wouldn't your reimbursement be limited to BAH? So wouldn't the old GI Bill have a better payout?

Under this VA site
http://www.gibill2008.org/faq.html#education-types

"Veterans in enrolled in apprenticeship, on-the-job training and flight training programs cannot receive benefits under Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). Veterans can continue to use older education benefits such as Chapter 30 (MGIB)."

and

"Certain groups, including service members still on active duty and those enrolled in distance learning, apprenticeship, on-the-job training or flight training, or attending school part time, qualify for tuition under Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill), but do not qualify for the living allowance. IAVA encourages these service members to consider using the old Chapter 30 (MGIB) benefits.

Veterans living in regions with relatively low BAH rates and/or paying little or no money for tuition may benefit from staying with the old Chapter 30 (MGIB) benefits. "

I've read a lot about this over time, because i fully intend to use it for a fellowship once I get out. I'm actually budgetting to use it.

I wouldn't really trust anything that wasn't on VA.gov http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/Post_911_Factsheet.pdf and according to them it has been enacted into law so, I don't know what kinks they are still working out.

Also the BAH is paid for the zip code that your school is in and it is not paid to those taking distance learning which I think is wrong. So what if you're not sitting in a classroom? You've still got bills and you're still taking approved courses. The E-5 BAH rate with dependents (which is what you will receive) for NY zip 10101 is $2444. That's slightly better than my San Antonio zip which gets $1180. http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html. I guess if it was offered to distance learners, there would be a big rush to enroll in high BAH schools like NYU.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the "Yellow Ribbon" program. https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cG9zdC05LzEx&p_li=&p_topview=1 Under this program, if your school is private or an out of state school that has higher tuition than your state, the VA and the school can make an agreement for the school to forgive half of the difference through scholarships or something and the VA will match it. That way your tuition is covered. I don't know how much of a gap they will cover but atleast it's something. My highest instate is probably around $15,000 and the school I want to go to is $27,000. That's quite a difference. We'll see how it all plays out. I guess if not then I'll have to make a 70 mile commute to go to a state school.

The more I dig, the more questions I have. It states that the housing allowance is not payable to members on active duty (of course) but what about reservists that get BAH paid for drill weekends and two weeks a year? Are they going to deduct that amount from the BAH that the VA pays? I guess I'll find out next year.

Last edited:

Absolutely, that's what I was referring to -- I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. I recall several posters in the past year or two who have used the MGIB for residency or fellowship and have gotten the rate for degree programs rather than OJT. That's what I was hoping could get clarified.

Ed

Absolutely, that's what I was referring to -- I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. I recall several posters in the past year or two who have used the MGIB for residency or fellowship and have gotten the rate for degree programs rather than OJT. That's what I was hoping could get clarified.

Ed

Ed,

You are absolutely correct.

Residency/Fellowship programs are considered degree programs, not OJT.

You could even make sure that a program is under the approved list by going to the VA website.

I am pretty sure that it will only be allowed that we could use the "old" GI Bill, but I am totally OK with this. It sound like there is a lot less paperwork/red tape with the old GI Bill. There was a significant pay hike last year and I would think another one will happen this year to try to catch up with the "new" GI Bill benefits