New grad going into the job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a few questions- thanks in advance for your help!

I'll be graduating in May and seeing as I'm not interested in specializing or residency, I am hoping to make the jump right into the job market. I am well aware that options are limited for new grads, and since I'm in a whole mess of debt, I'm not above going the route of corporate dentistry (if only for 6 mos to a year). Anyway, I am a little confused as to what I need to be getting together...should I be writing a CV or a resume, or like a combination? I don't really have any relevant work experience that I could use on a resume that would be of interest to any hiring companies...but at the same time, I feel like a CV with all the research/publications/community service sections are geared more towards applying for post grad programs. Should I work in some information about procedural and clinical experience?

Any grads who went straight to the job market have insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah probably need to get a CV together…don't need procedural and clinical stuff on there since you are a new grad. I would ask one of the dental reps in the areas you are looking at and see what they recommend

Hi guys, I have a few questions- thanks in advance for your help!

I'll be graduating in May and seeing as I'm not interested in specializing or residency, I am hoping to make the jump right into the job market. I am well aware that options are limited for new grads, and since I'm in a whole mess of debt, I'm not above going the route of corporate dentistry (if only for 6 mos to a year). Anyway, I am a little confused as to what I need to be getting together...should I be writing a CV or a resume, or like a combination? I don't really have any relevant work experience that I could use on a resume that would be of interest to any hiring companies...but at the same time, I feel like a CV with all the research/publications/community service sections are geared more towards applying for post grad programs. Should I work in some information about procedural and clinical experience?

Any grads who went straight to the job market have insight on this?
do you want to go an hour or two out of the city or stay in the city? You need to start networking ASAP. It isnt what you know, but rather who.