New Grad Job Offers and Determining Salary & Production

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulojow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently a 4th year veterinary student and am (COVID willing) anticipating graduating this spring. I’ve been interviewing with a clinic I’m especially interested in and they’ve invited me to make an initial salary request. I‘ve done some research into cost of living and average salary for new grads so I have an idea of what annual salary I’m hoping for. The clinic uses salary and production (ProSal?) for clinicians.

I haven’t worked with this type of approach to wage so I’m struggling to figure out how to break down my target salary into a base salary and production. I recognize that, with this system, the salary is never guaranteed, but I’m trying to figure out a balance between the two that will average out to the target salary.

if anyone is willing to either share some insight into coming up with a reasonable ProSal request, I would very much appreciate it. Also, if you’re comfortable with sharing what your base salary and production percentage are and what that, on average, works out to, I’d also appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently a 4th year veterinary student and am (COVID willing) anticipating graduating this spring. I’ve been interviewing with a clinic I’m especially interested in and they’ve invited me to make an initial salary request. I‘ve done some research into cost of living and average salary for new grads so I have an idea of what annual salary I’m hoping for. The clinic uses salary and production (ProSal?) for clinicians.

I haven’t worked with this type of approach to wage so I’m struggling to figure out how to break down my target salary into a base salary and production. I recognize that, with this system, the salary is never guaranteed, but I’m trying to figure out a balance between the two that will average out to the target salary.

if anyone is willing to either share some insight into coming up with a reasonable ProSal request, I would very much appreciate it. Also, if you’re comfortable with sharing what your base salary and production percentage are and what that, on average, works out to, I’d also appreciate it!
Just a 3rd year here but I go to a lot of VBMA meetings and we had this website shared with us:
Financial Simulator
It was made by a DVM/MBA from Minnesota for veterinarians to have a personal financial simulator!
In addition, you should be making ~20% of what you produce for the hospital. There is a salary calculator in the financial simulator for you! If you're going into SA GP, here's an example of that: let's say you work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and you see 16 patients a day (that's 1 patient every 30 mins - so not a lot, and a good number for a new doctor in the beginning), your ACT (average client transaction) is $150 (a PE, vaccines, bloodwork, etc.). That means you will earn the practice ~$588,000/year. You should be earning 20% of that, $117,600. Of course if you want insurance worked into that and other things, it will go down and they'll probably not want to pay you that exact amount since you're a new grad but don't forget to advocate for yourself! A lot of people don't get the salaries they deserve because they're too afraid to ask for it! They're afraid if they ask for a little more they'll get nothing, don't have that mentality going in. And PLEASE if you get a contract have a lawyer look at it (or, if you can't afford it, someone in the industry who has had experience with contracts)!! Contract lawyers will help get you things you deserve and need in your contract!
Also check out the AVMLA (American Veterinary Medical Law Association): Veterinary medical law association | Avmla | United States
They look at veterinary medical law and how it applies to the field and all lawyers in this group are more than equipped to view a veterinary contract :)

I hope this helps!! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend you request NOT to be on ProSal in your first year. It will take time for clients (and staff) of the clinic to get to know you and trust you, and that alone will limit your ability to produce income - unrelated to your inexperience in clinical practice.

Personally, I think ProSal is a horrible way to pay clinicians, but at least you shouldn't be dealing with that in your first year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

ProSal implementations vary widely, so there isn't necessarily a pat answer to this.

In most implementations your base (salary) is guaranteed; that's the point. You are guaranteed to make X base, with (typically) some excess on top of that as determined by your production.

The biggest question is what happens if your production doesn't equal or exceed your base salary. In most implementations they'll carry that deficit from period to period and subtract that from your next payout period. In a few implementations your base is truly a base and you can't run a deficit (that benefits the employee, but is rare). In some implementations you are 'reset' on a yearly basis so that you can't carry a deficit forward into the next year.

You really need to have a very clear understanding of how you will be paid if it is ProSal, and what will happen if your personal production isn't enough to cover that base. It may be very stressful for you depending on their expectations or how they handle it if you are in the hole.

Make sure you understand how vacation factors into it. In many (most?) situations, you can take time off, but it cuts directly into your pay since you aren't producing anything in that period.

In my situation (ER, USA) ProSal is great. My base salary is a joke - I get paid biweekly the equivalent of my salary - but where I really make my money is the 25% production payout on top of that. So I get the difference between 25% of my production and my salary every quarter. That payout is fantastic because I'll easily clear 2.5x my salary this year. That means I have no stress, though, about going negative because my production is so much higher than my salary. It also means that in times like this where caseload is extremely high, I at least can remind myself that I'm making more money to compensate for the increased workload.

Bottom line is that ProSal is implemented differently at different practices and you really need need to understand THEIR implementation.

I actually had a true Pro-Sal with no deficit possible in my first job out of school. We were paid a minimum of hourly or 25% production - whichever was greater - on a monthly basis. Functionally, since we had a guaranteed number of hours, that meant we had a ProSal set-up with a guaranteed minimum salary and no possibility of going negative. It was fantastic because I didn't stress over whether I was working at one of our busier hospitals or covering for someone in a sleepier overnight ER. When we got bought by a big corporation who paid a more traditional ProSal, that changed.

I personally think 20% is too low, but that might be my ER bias. I make 25%, and while that's probably on the upper end of things, I'd never settle for less than 23% unless my employer was making very significant benefit package additions for every 1% below it. And I'm not talking like "hey, here's a clothing allowance!" If you're paid on production and you produce $500k, every 1% is $5000 less that you make - I'd expect something comparable for every % below 23%. And just getting me from 25% down to 23% would be tough.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on starting your new career!

Excellent advice so far. I would reinforce the idea that production pay is complicated and it's critical that you understand the specific details. The percentage rate is not the problem. That's easy. What is complicated is which fees are and are not included in your percentage. People spend a lot of time discussing and negotiating the percentage but not enough time on which fees are and are not included in that percentage.

For example: dispensed drugs? What about refills? Therapeutic diets? What happens when one clinician admits a patient and then transfers care to another clinician the next day? How are discounts handled? What if you recommend a surgery and then the client schedules it on a day you don't work?

Who decides which clinicians get which cases? Is the new graduate getting outpatients while someone else is getting all the surgeries?

And finally, two words: Negative accrual. Learn it. Understand it. I told a former resident to make sure she understood if her new contract had negative accrual. She said "I specifically asked and they said no." When I looked at her contract it did. They just didn't use those words.

All these things can be sorted out. You just need to be clear on how it all works. Because when I hear from recent graduates about contract problems, ProSal is one of the most common. Noncompete clauses are probably number two.

At some point in the process, before you sign anything I would strongly recommend having your lawyer look over the contract to help you understand everything and identify any red flags.

A good resource for veterinary contracts is our Model Contract:
VIN Foundation Model Employment Contract

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the devil is definitely in the details here.

What exactly is included/not included? on top of what vin foundation listed, what about euthanasia services, tech appts for vaccines/bloodwork that you recommended? Do flea/tick preventatives count? Who’s responsible for calling with results of labwork - is it always the vet who ran it? And if not, who gets the production for it?

The negative accrual is a huge deal. It’s not just about being short one month and owing it the next. What if you join a practice as a new doctor and they don’t actually have enough excess business to need a full doctor, or they “ease you in” with a light caseload/surgical load so you are majorly negative for several months in? Will that ever reset? Or are you dooming your future self to lose out on thousands of dollars of income to make up for this? Realize that if negative accrual is a part if you’re contract, it means that whatever “paid” vacation time you negotiate means nothing usually. They can give you all the “paid vacation” they want... but you’ll just owe that money later. With negative accrual, you only get paid what you produce... unless you are on average producing less than your salary (in which case you’ll likely end up getting your salary slashed or get fired). Same with sick leave. Find out exactly how maternity/family leave works. If you are required to use all vacation time/sick time before your “unpaid” leave begins, you are digging yourself a deep deep hole you may never come out of. My biggest gripe when I worked for VCA on negative accrual was when I was forced to go to whole day “paid” training during my normal work day. “Paid” my ass... I was not producing anything that day, so despite actually working, I owed the company money a whole days worth of production. It suuuper pissed me off when I had to go to a mandatory employee satisfaction focus group. Same deal. And I couldn’t even bitch about this fact, because the focus group facilitator was like “yup we all know you all hate this policy so don’t bring it up. We already know”

How transparent will the book keeping be? Is the staff good about making sure that the right doctor gets credited for the right things? Are you allowed to keep tabs on the books to know how much you are generating?

And also, how much do the other doctors produce in this hospital on average, and what is the range? And is the hospital busy enough that there will be enough work for you? Is this a well leveraged hospital with adequate and good support staff that you can be performing maximal amount of money generating doctor work? Or are you your own technician, meaning you cannot generate revenue for much of the day because you are too busy performing non income generating work that support staff should be able to do for you?

ive worked for both salary and prosal, and I made way more money on prosal than I ever did salary. So honestly, I didn’t mind it all that much. But there are

Thank you all so much for the feedback and information - this is extremely helpful. I had a sense going into the conversation that the whole process was complicated but still probably underestimated just how complicated it was. In short, it sounds like I definitely need more information from them before I can really put together any numbers and these are some very useful questions to include.

Hi everyone! I have a questions about a job offer. I’m a 3rd year and just received an informal job offer and want to know if it is good or not.

Base: $100k
Production: 20% - starts 6 months after being hired.
Type of production: Guaranteed salary, negative accrual production that resets with each fiscal year.
What’s included in production: TBC but was told only first prescriptions are included, but no refills.
PTO: 15 days (~3 weeks). Production is calculated into these days so don’t have to worry about missed production.
CVE: days for CVE and CVE allowance given
401k: 80% matching up to 5%
Liability insurance and license costs covered
Health insurance: variable options costing about $200/month for medical, dental and vision
Mentorship: formal mentorship program set in place for first year out

My first thoughts: should I negotiate a higher production %? Should I negotiate against the negative accrual on production? Should I negotiate to have refills included in production? Otherwise, the other components seem nice

Last edited:
Negotiate out of negative accrual 110%
Also dont forget to think of things like them paying for access to vin, plumbs and any formal memberships you want/need like state vmas.
I always recommend if you're serious about signing having a contract lawyer look over it before you sign it.

I wouldn't touch a negative accrual with a 1000 foot pole.
I figured as much. How do you negotiate out of that without sounding like you’d be unable to meet satisfactory production?

G
Negotiate out of negative accrual 110%
Also dont forget to think of things like them paying for access to vin, plumbs and any formal memberships you want/need like state vmas.
I always recommend if you're serious about signing having a contract lawyer look over it before you sign it.
Good things to consider, thanks! Will definitely be having a lawyer look at any contract I plan on signing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured as much. How do you negotiate out of that without sounding like you’d be unable to meet satisfactory production?

Maybe I'm too jaded but I've yet to find a decent place that starts off offering negative accrual, so I'd probably not negotiate and just say no thank you. But that's my own personal decision.

For negotiating, I'd just start off with "I'm very uncomfortable with negative accrual but would consider the job if that were removed from the offer." I really probably wouldn't say much more, see how they respond.

Honestly having a lawyer look it over is your best bet. You're kind of looking insanely early also. So, I'd not be too gung ho to sign anything. I didn't even start to look until February/March of 4th year just before graduation.

Honestly having a lawyer look it over is your best bet. You're kind of looking insanely early also. So, I'd not be too gung ho to sign anything. I didn't even start to look until February/March of 4th year just before graduation.
Fair enough! I’m over in Australia so I’m a couple months off from 4th year, but still early nonetheless. I wasn’t actively job searching - I just have an EMS lined up with them for my 4th year and they wanted to go over job opportunities. Still early days as I’m also considering specializing. Wouldn’t plan on signing anything for at least a year!

Thanks for your input :giggle:
Maybe I'm too jaded but I've yet to find a decent place that starts off offering negative accrual, so I'd probably not negotiate and just say no thank you. But that's my own personal decision.

For negotiating, I'd just start off with "I'm very uncomfortable with negative accrual but would consider the job if that were removed from the offer." I really probably wouldn't say much more, see how they respond.
I agree - the negative accrual rubbed me a bit wrong. Probably a red flag if I had to categorise it. Definitely don’t want to work somewhere where you’re pressured to produce. I’ve seen poor quality medicine practiced due to similar penalties

Yeah I'm not sure how similar/different things are in Australia compared to the US. I think most of us on here are US or Canada based, so might be worth asking vets you know in Australia. See if that type of offer is common or not.

Yeah I'm not sure how similar/different things are in Australia compared to the US. I think most of us on here are US or Canada based, so might be worth asking vets you know in Australia. See if that type of offer is common or not.
Sorry, should clarify. I’m a US citizen studying abroad. I have an EMS back home and the job offer is located in Southeast USA

Hi everyone! I have a questions about a job offer. I’m a 3rd year and just received an informal job offer and want to know if it is good or not.

Base: $100k
Production: 20% - starts 6 months after being hired.
Type of production: Guaranteed salary, negative accrual production that resets with each fiscal year.
What’s included in production: TBC but was told only first prescriptions are included, but no refills.
PTO: 15 days (~3 weeks). Production is calculated into these days so don’t have to worry about missed production.
CVE: days for CVE and CVE allowance given
401k: 80% matching up to 5%
Liability insurance and license costs covered
Health insurance: variable options costing about $200/month for medical, dental and vision
Mentorship: formal mentorship program set in place for first year out

My first thoughts: should I negotiate a higher production %? Should I negotiate against the negative accrual on production? Should I negotiate to have refills included in production? Otherwise, the other components seem nice

I also would avoid negative accrual, but maybe if anyone on SDN has a job with negative accrual and doesn't hate it, it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

On that note, production starting at the 6 month mark seems too soon for a new grad if there is negative accrual and an unnecessary delay if there isn't.

Formal mentorship can be good or bad... is it a rigid program or does it have flexibility for you as an individual?

Not getting credit for refills is absolute bull. I would not sign that. I’m sorry, but things like NSAIDs, Apoquel, Atopica, Trilostane, Tylan, etc… can often be $100 per patient per month of chronic meds. That adds up to ALOT of passive income. Also, IMO you should be getting full credit for all fda approved products including flea/tick prevention like the isoxasolines and heartworm preventatives. Again, that’s like $25-50 per month per patient, and when considering all patients should be on it, it’s going to make a huge difference in your production.

Unless there is something that is so amazing about this clinic that you can’t find anywhere else, it’s so early on in the process, I would play hardball. You have so many other options. That being said, if you’re a year from signing anything, I personally wouldn’t start negotiating anything now. Wait til you spend time at the clinic, talk to the associates, and see if you even want to consider working there. And especially after they’ve seen you and are super eager to hire you, discuss terms that you would be willing to sign for.

On that note, production starting at the 6 month mark seems too soon for a new grad if there is negative accrual and an unnecessary delay if there isn't.

I agree on if there isn’t negative accrual, there being no point in delaying production.

But it’s hard if there’s negative accrual. You could potentially be missing out on tens of thousands of dollars of income… I feel like it should still be production from start but with a reset at 6 months. That way, no matter what, you are making salary for that first 6 months without consequences following you past that. But you can be rewarded if you do a really good job without hurting the employer.

I also would avoid negative accrual, but maybe if anyone on SDN has a job with negative accrual and doesn't hate it, it would be interesting to hear their perspective.

Formal mentorship can be good or bad... is it a rigid program or does it have flexibility for you as an individual?
The way they described the mentorship sounded mostly flexible minus a biannual meeting/conference with fellow new grads

It kind of depends on how broadly you define "negative accrual," but I technically do - production reset quarterly, but if I'm low one month I have to "dig out" before I'm paid out for that quarter from the other months. We never end up actually owing the company money (aka it all resets eventually), but can have a zero production quarter off a bad month or two theoretically.

I've never not made production - my production was literally 60% of my pay this year - so it's nbd to me. But ER be cray.

It kind of depends on how broadly you define "negative accrual," but I technically do - production reset quarterly, but if I'm low one month I have to "dig out" before I'm paid out for that quarter from the other months. We never end up actually owing the company money (aka it all resets eventually), but can have a zero production quarter off a bad month or two theoretically.

I've never not made production - my production was literally 60% of my pay this year - so it's nbd to me. But ER be cray.
A frequently resetting one is the only one I could ever get behind. But I’ve definitely seen ones where you owe money and your base is not guaranteed 🙃

A frequently resetting one is the only one I could ever get behind. But I’ve definitely seen ones where you owe money and your base is not guaranteed 🙃
I'll confess I'll never understand these payment schemes (and theoretically should never need to) but isn't that the whole point of a "base" salary? To guarantee you'll at least make that much?

Mind boggling. I'll stick with my academia straight salary tyvm. (and then just cry a little bit when I see how much others are making)

I'll confess I'll never understand these payment schemes (and theoretically should never need to) but isn't that the whole point of a "base" salary? To guarantee you'll at least make that much?

Mind boggling. I'll stick with my academia straight salary tyvm. (and then just cry a little bit when I see how much others are making)
Yeah I do not understand it either. That’s why they get crossed off my list because it’s a stupid scheme. I don’t even love negative accrual in general

if your base isn't guaranteed it's production pay, not pro-sal... ridiculous.
Yeah it’s really stupid.

It just means that there is no month that you don’t get some sort of paycheck. As in if you’re paycheck to paycheck, you’re guaranteed to take home your base salary and won’t be screwed. However… you owe it later out of your production “bonus”.

Such bull…. Literally it means that unless you are someone who perpetually doesn’t meet production, you’re really not paid prosal. It’s really full on production. And very few places will set your base salary such that you won’t meet production habitually cause they’ll lose money on you.

But at the end of the day, if you get paid salary, they typically set the salary based on your production in the past year anyway (in a way where they guarantee the hospital makes money off of you)… so overall you’re more likely to be underpaid if paid salary vs. production.

It’s just that negative accrual nullifies the concept of paid time off unless they specifically calculate as if you made your base or average production each day you take off. Essentially, you have 0 paid time off, and that’s what’s wrong. Otherwise I don’t mind production schemes because that’s the best way to ensure I’m making the money I deserve and I don’t have to worry about if I’m being underpaid by my employer (assuming I’m working at a busy well leveraged hospital). As long as PTO is actually paid, I personally don’t mind negative accrual much. If the hospital is not set up for me to hit production and make a respectable amount of money despite working hard, it’s not a hospital I want to be working at anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I am a Veterinarian working in California. My starting salary was $120,000(1.5 years ago). I think after COVID practices have been very busy and many practices have been giving very generous offers. I have seen new vets getting around $180,000(excluding bonus) plus 20% production nowadays. I do know some vets who need vets. Let me know if I could be of any help.

Hi everyone! Is anyone familiar with VetCor and do you know if VetCor as a company across the board do not offer production in addition to base salary? I know of one of their practices they own that only offered a base salary and said they don’t do production. However I was wondering if that is the same across the board for all of the practices they own or not. Thanks!