New grad salaries in the northwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl3n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are other salary threads in the forum and I did the research. Searching the APMA site and ACFAS sites were helpful but they are hard to see what new grads fresh out of residency are getting. I was wondering if new or recent grads can share what type of offers they are receiving in the pacific northwest or the west coast in general. I am looking for more of a private/group practice setting. Thanks in advance everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

NW is rough. Not a lot of job opportunities

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else with some useful input? would greatly appreciate it.

hey kl3n, I also would like to know about the salaries (but in the West Coast in general) and many of the surveys out there place the salary as either way too high or way too low. I think you're not going to get any responses here largely because there are only 15,000 podiatrists and many of them are not aware of SDN

you can try this
http://www.apma.org/Directory/FindAPodiatrist.cfm?navItemNumber=496

just type in the zip code closest to the place you desire and then try cold calling/emailing all podiatrists in that area and ask you are a prospective podiatrist.

this is the info I got from the podiatrist I shadowed:
"Salaried Podiatrists at Kaiser start in the High 120-150s I believe. Northern Ca is different than Southern CA. A Podiatrist just starting out in Private practice will usually make less than 100k in their first year because they have to create business. Once going they have an unlimited earning potential."

Pretty sure Kaiser salaries start north of $200k...

Not a guarantee they hire a new grad though.

forgot to put another podiatrists' response to salary, but dtrack22 is right though

"There are many different work environments including hours and area you practice and patient mix, etc. There is a LOT of variability so it would be hard to pin it down. So, here are a few things that I hear. Last I heard the starting salary for a Kaiser DPM was $215,000. I have a friend who started earning double that in the 1st 5 years, because he is very business minded and started his own niche practice with a niche population. On the other hand, academia pays less like $80-130K, but has better vacation and benefits. I know docs who only see nursing home patients and they make $45K-60K."

would you say that most starting DPMs would be finding work in the private sector more so than the hospital since there are not that many hospitals that have podiatrists in their offices (to my knowledge Stanford hospital, UCLA hospital, and LA County hospital dont have podiatrists but Kaiser for sure does)?

Hey Ankle Breaker hope Podiatry school is going well, if you don't mind me asking are you trying to do a residency/work in CA after graduation?

I was talking to a 3rd year resident who is going to be graduating from a 3 year program without RRA certificate, who has been looking at jobs paying 60k per year plus a percentage (20-30%) of revenues collected over $240k.

I was talking to a 3rd year resident who is going to be graduating from a 3 year program without RRA certificate, who has been looking at jobs paying 60k per year plus a percentage (20-30%) of revenues collected over $240k.
That sounds like robbery.

Reactions: 2 users
What is a general payment schedule as experiences increases? Assuming an average student, from an average school, joining a group practice in day Texas?

New Grad: 130
1 Year: 150
2 Year: 170
3 Year: 190
4 Year: level to even 200?

Like what's a general salary increase or is it a stiff 130-170 forever?

I completely agree. There are all types of practice arrangements out there. There isn't a set salary to expect. I got really luck this year and found a great job/contract that I was willing to accept. I look forwarded to starting my post residency life on July 1, 2014.

Nobody can answer this question with certainty. There are too many factors that influence your pay such as the kind of contract you sign, your gross revenue production, what kind of practice you are in, etc. Years of experience does not necessarily mean your overall pay goes up. Whether you are a below average, average, or above average student really has no bearing on how good of a businessman or woman you can become. Where you went to podiatry school has no bearing on how good of a podiatrist you will become. What happens if you suck as a podiatrist? Do you think because you have accumulated 4 years of experience that you should be making an "even 200k"? You probably wouldn't be making over a 100k or worse...your group might just fire you. Just saying.

What does a normal persons progression look like? Like it's not all on the web like other careers. What's reasonable to expect.

Reactions: 1 user