New Guy with some Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bond007md

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, I am new to this forum but can see the great conversations going on. Anyways, I have a question about AMCAS- according to many it is the dreaded entity.
My situation is that this summer- until late August- I am taking an important pre-med requirement. Also I am taking the August MCAT and want to apply in this coming cycle. But I would like to fill out my AMCAS VERY early for that is the advice from everyone. So can I still fill out the AMCAS and "update" my grades later this summer or do I have to wait for I know I will re-send my updated transcripts by the end of the summer. I am sort of confused about how the transcript process works- is it an all or none process or can you update it till the late summer? Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi welcome to SDN!!! :)

You only have to send in your transcript once. So if I were you, I would fill in all your grades up till now in the AMCAS application this June and then send in your transcript when you get your august grades. In august you can then update your application grades too. Dont bother sending in two transcripts. You dont need to. Just make sure you do your whole application early and apply as soon as you can. Since you're an august MCAT taker, I would submit your app before you get your scores cause it takes a while for them to process your app. You really should be all ready to go when your MCAT scores come. I speak from personal experience. :wink: I made some really big mistakes when I applied. Good luck!

Get the application done and update later. Timing is critical.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS lets you enter courses that you EXPECT to take, or are currently enrolled in, so taking a pre-med requirement while you're applying shouldn't be a problem (as long as you pass it!) :wink:

I'm taking the August MCAT too, but I'm gonna submit my AMCAS in june....do you guys think that if I wait until my MCAT score comes in to turn in secondaries, would that be too late?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by puddin:
•I'm taking the August MCAT too, but I'm gonna submit my AMCAS in june....do you guys think that if I wait until my MCAT score comes in to turn in secondaries, would that be too late?•••••I think it's too late. If you do that, you'll be interviewing for mostly waitlist spots.

You'll probably do how you did on practice tests, so you'll have an idea of your scores when submitting secondaries. Just apply to a wide range of schools--that's very important!

You should have your mcat scores be the last thing to complete your file.

Foxy, I sent you a PM.

I personally think that if your taking the august MCAT, you should turn in your AMCAS right after you finish the test. Maybe turn in your Transcript before that. But get the secondary questions and have them ALL DONE so that you can turn in the secondaries the SAME DAY!!! I think that is critical. You already at a disadvantage, you don't want to make it worse by waiting a few weeks to get the secondaries done.

Thanks alot guys. As I had thought, I should just go ahead and apply EARLY. :cool:

Our pre-med advisor, who's been doing this for a LONG time, is always telling us that we should NOT under any circumstances take the August MCAT and try to apply during the same year. The problem is, he says, by the time your file is complete the schools are all very busy with reviewing secondaries, interviewing, etc. So by the time you get your secondaries/interviews a number of people will already have been accepted! It's already hard enough to get into medical school, so why increase the level of difficulty, right? Why not just wait a year? It'll likely strengthen your application anyway.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TommyGunn04:
•Our pre-med advisor, who's been doing this for a LONG time, is always telling us that we should NOT under any circumstances take the August MCAT and try to apply during the same year. The problem is, he says, by the time your file is complete the schools are all very busy with reviewing secondaries, interviewing, etc. So by the time you get your secondaries/interviews a number of people will already have been accepted! It's already hard enough to get into medical school, so why increase the level of difficulty, right? Why not just wait a year? It'll likely strengthen your application anyway.•••••Clap :clap: Clap :clap: Clap :clap: Clap

Echoing what I've been saying FOREVER!!!!
Yould you mind if I post this under a new thread????

No, not at all. Post away!!! The word needs to be spread! :D

However, taking the August MCAT is not the kiss of death!! I submitted my AMCAS July 12 last year, applied to 22 schools (a wide range of private and state schools), took the August MCAT, got 13 interview invites, 5 acceptances (1 top ten), 3 waitlists, and still waiting to hear from 3 post-interview. My stats were not spectacular (3.5, 30M) but I had great essays, LOR's, clinical experience and EC's (no research). I submitted secondaries all summer, even before taking the MCAT, and into the fall so that my file would be ready to go to review the minute they got my scores. So it can be done, even if it's not optimum.