New Guy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neville Sarkari

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the Forums and wanted to introduce myself. I am an internist in Private Practice. I welcome questions about medschool, IM residency, or private IM practice. I went to Univ of KY for medschool (part PBL based), graduated 1997, and did my IM residency there as well. I did a 3+3 or AIM (Accelerated) program that let me finish med school and IM residency in six years.

Neville S.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Neville. We always appreciate new members, especially those who can impart some wisdom at *this* end of the road.

I'm sure you've opened yourself up for LOTS of queries...but never fear, we are largely a friendly and peace loving bunch.

Thank you for joining SDN and I hope you find it as useful and fulfilling as I have over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, welcome aboard, this place is great!
One question, could you please give us some more info about that accelerated med school/residency program that you were in? Also, is there a program such as this in the Osteopathic field?

Well, the AIM program is a way to shave a year off the process for some people. I believe the one at U Ky was the first, but there are several out there now.

During the "4th year" while others were doing their required and elective rotations those of us (3) in the AIM did Intern work. We also had to take some required med school rotations to graduate (ex: surgical intern month and a senior anesthesiology/pharm rotation.) Basically it was like having IM for your whole 4th year. We did all the stuff IM interns do as well, like an ER month and a neurology month.

It's a good idea if you really know you want to do IM and you really know where you want to do it. For most people, a traditional 4th year that lets you sample more is probably a better idea.

It is a fairly steep learning curve, because you really do work as an intern. I had some of my classmates as Sub-I's or AI's on my team.

It's all accredited so you can do any IM fellowship afterward etc. . .

I am also a newcomer on this board. Since I am not as important as a MD, please allow me to borrow his message to introduce myself.

I am 2nd year pre-med in OSU majoring in Molecular Genetic.

I have many questions and I find this website extremely helpful.

My questions:
1. I just changed my major from Biochem to Molecular Genetic, because I heard that people who major in biochem won't have high enough GPA. Mol Gen requires fewer credits to graduate and easier courses. Is that true and is my decision smart? (In my school, biochem major needs to take a course that's called "Physical Biochemistry" which totally turns me down.)

2. How high is my science GPA needed to be in order to get in "one" medical school?

3. How do I ask for letter of rec from professor? In a class there are this many students, how can I know that the professor knows me well? If every students asks for one letter of rec, won't professor write letter every single night?

thanks,

Gary

what does KY stand for

I believe NYMC offers an accelerated MD/IM residency prgram.

KY stands for Kentucky.

I had a chance to visit UK Chandler Medical Center and was very impressed with many of the staff and residents. The new Cardiology clinic (under construction) will be a great addition to the hospital.