1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

new help in deciding whether to postpone Aug 12th exam

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by leafs2012, Jul 27, 2011.

1. leafs2012

2+ Year Member

Whats up hommies,

So here's my dilemma: I'm registered for the Aug 12th exam, and the last day I have to change my date is this Friday! My improvement is going extremely slow and feel like I've been studying for ever, but will do w.e I have to do get the score I want!

I am seriously aiming for 34-36+ but my practice scores are just not there yet, and its mainly verbal that has been bogging me down! Here are my scores:

From most oldest to most recent:

(month/date) (Total- PS/VR/BS)

AAMC 5- (3/4)- (25- 8/7/10)
    AAMC 10- (5/21)- (26- 11/6/9)
    AAMC 3- (6/1)- (22- 9/6/7)
    TPR test 2- (6/29)- (24- 8/7/9)
    TPR test 3- (7/10)- (27- 11/7/9)
    AAMC 4- (7/13)- (27- 9/9/9)
    TPR test 4- (7/17)- (26- 8/8/10)
    TPR test 5- (7/22)- (28- 9/9/10)
    AAMC test 7- (7/26)- (29- 10/8/11)

The main problem for me on PS is timing, for instance on AAMC 7 yesterday I only answered 43/52 and put all C for 43-52, and only got 2 wrong from question #1-43.

VR is my worst by far, as the max I hit is 30/40 on EK tests, and timing is my big concern here. I only ever get through 6 of the 7 passages, which is very concerning since I hear the actual mcat passages are a lot longer.

BS has been fairly consistent and timing usually isn't an issue except AAMC 7, on which i guessed all C for 4, and got all 4 wrong lol.

So, should I move my date? I am a CDN applicant, applying this cycle and mainly interested in canadian schools, but they dont care about when you write it (as long as its before the Oct 1 application deadline). However, I want to keep my US options as open as I can and I understand that the later I apply, the worse my chances. My GPA is 3.76 (upward trend, with 3.9 in my junior year), with solid EC's.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks for your time guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leafs2012

2+ Year Member

NEED* help. verbal struggles are more than clear lol

4. Jlaw

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not saying this to be mean but your VR scores are not far below your PS/BS scores. If you raise VR to a 10 or 11 you will still be nowhere near 34-36. To get that you're going to need to tack a couple points onto all three sections, which is going to be more difficult than just addressing one specific weakness, especially since 10's and 11's aren't bad scores.

I had a similar problem, had hoped for ~35 but with 3 weeks to test date the scores weren't close to that. I averaged a balanced 30 over 13 practice tests (all tests including the mid/low 20's I scored at the beginning) and had a high score of 33. In the end I decided to take the test (3 weeks til I get the results). I know I'm not going to hit that 35 but at the same time I have a decent shot of getting a serviceable score that will get me into medical school. Like you I prepared thoroughly, the scores weren't due to lack of effort, they just were. I had to be honest with myself and admit that I wasn't going to miraculously start scoring mid to high 30's over the last few weeks. If I was going to postpone I would need to start over and prepare differently. I was already starting to get burnt out on studying so I decided to just take it and see how I did. I've decided that if I score under a 26 I will retake next spring, if I score 26-29 I will apply only DO and in state MD, if I score 30+ I will apply both MD and DO.

So you need to decide what score do you realistically need to get into medical school and can you achieve it? If a 28 or 30 will do it then take the test because you've got a great shot at scoring in that range. If you need a 34 or better to get where you want to go then don't take it. If you do postpone my advice is to take a long look at your preperations, you probably aren't going to see a huge improvement unless you change things, i.e. by hiring a tutor, taking a class, or using a different study program.

Good luck!

5. leafs2012

2+ Year Member

Thanks man!

I really appreciate the reply. I decided that I will postpone my date because its not that I don't feel ready, but I am just not at the scores I want. I may not reach there, but I just gotta hustle as hard as I can and know I gave it my absolute all. You're right though in that I need to change some aspect of my preparation and I feel the same way, because for the amount I have studied I feel like I should have been getting higher scores. I've posted for some help though in making the most efficient plan to reach my goal, so well see what happens.

Best of luck during your applications and hope you get in! Thanks again

6. redsun2

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So Aug mcat won't be too late??

Will that be too late for a retake??

To:Jlaw,
    Is 26 sufficient for DO??

I am worried that I might end up with a 26, planning to retake....

7. Jlaw

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some DO schools have an avg score around 26 so you would have a shot. I think a 28+ would give you a decent shot at basically any DO school but obviously its getting more competetive every year.

You can look at the stats here for individual schools.

http://doapplicants.com/

8. redsun2

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the link!
    Do you think it will be a good idea just to apply right now, but also schedule for a retake in September? Will the school knows that you are scheduling for a retake?

9. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

You have answered your own question. You may know your material well (learned and reviewed plenty over five months), but you don't know it fast. For whatever reason, timing is a problem and this can be a huge issue. You need to really concentrate on this. I don't mean to toot our horn, but more so than any other source out there, BR physical sciences teaches time saving strategies and quick POE. If you have access to the books through a friend, tap into them soon. You don't have time to get them, but if you can borrow them it would really help your specific situation.

As for postponing, the above post by Jlaw cannot be beat. It's so right on the mark about pragmatic reasoning. Postpone only if your last few FL scores are below the realistic score you need for the schools you're targeting. If you're McGill or bust, then postpone. If you don't mind being in Manitoba, then go for it full speed ahead.

10. Jlaw

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Its definitely on the later side you won't have a score to report til mid October but you can do it. On the mcat section of the apps you put your scores but you can also indicate future test dates so they know you are planning to take it again. honestly I would wait and see your score, you might surprise yourself. If you are set on a september retake you should be studying full bore at the moment because the clock is ticking!

Good luck!