1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

New here - question re: ia

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Justwanttoresearch, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Justwanttoresearch

So, I am looking for some honest input. I am entering my senior year and am applying this cycle to med schools. At the beginning of my Jr. year I was caught with a fake parking pass on my truck. I had to meet with the dean and right a letter stating what/if I learned anything. It is definitely a part of my record and I was upfront in my primaries as well as secondaries.
    I will not make excuses for what I did since ultimately they are just that. Excuses. I have however learned a very difficult lesson. I have never been in trouble all throughout high school nor college - except this awful decision.
    My stats are 3.8 GPA and 513 MCAT. I have almost 400 hrs volunteering with an organization that helps individuals with special needs, I have about 50 hrs. of shadowing. I've been working year round on a research project and have close to 1200 hrs. as well as several poster presentations. I was a student athlete, leader of my undergrad chem club, good LOR.
    Are there any med schools that are a bit more forgiving of IA such as what I did? Is it insurmountable?
    Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FreeRadicals

FreeRadicals SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This shows a lot about your character... I'll leave the rest for the ADCOMs to answer.

4. rdyotz

Pre-Medical
    The first question that popped into my head is: How long did you have the fake parking pass before getting caught?

5. e2468

I think you’re going to get a lot of messages from people saying this might have killed your app bc you have terrible judgment as if they’ve never made a bad decision before. I think that given the chance to pick someone without this IA, most schools will take the other person, and I’m very sorry because you seem to have done really well otherwise. I’m guessing there are ways to overcome this and put together a good app but maybe someone else can advise on that. Lastly, having paid 700 to park at my undergrad, I don’t blame you. I actually think it’s clever

6. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Kind of fantastic.
    2+ Year Member

Just because someone gives the appropriate advice that this might tank OP's app doesn't mean they are implying they've never made a mistake. I've made plenty of mistakes, but that doesn't change the fact that forging a parking pass and getting caught does not bode well for OP, at least in the immediate future.

7. MyOdyssey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN has a forum where you can ask for a consultation on conduct (and other) issues on a confidential basis.

You might look into and see whether you can get more helpful advice there:
    Now: Visit SDN Experts!

8. e2468

I agree with you, and unfortunately, I also think it probably will tank his application, but I don't think saying things like "this says a lot about your character" as someone did above is helpful. we don't know anything about OP's character except that he/she has been very generous with his/her time in order to help people with special needs. everyone does dumb stuff in college and OP happened to get caught. parking passes are really freaking expensive.

9. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just own it like you did here and you should be OK. But always have a Plan B

10. Justwanttoresearch

Thanks everyone. It is a crushing feeling to know that such a stupid action on my part can be a deal breaker for my future dreams.
    Anyone who reads this please please listen - THINK hard before doing something you know to be wrong. It is NOT worth it. The angst I feel about saying goodbye to not only my dream med school programs but the possibility of not getting in at all is no fun.
    The worst part is - I was always squeaky clean thru all high school and up till this. No underage drinking, no missed curfew, no cheating on school work, nothing of the sort.

Goro likes this.