SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

new histology stuff on DAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yahoogoogle, May 2, 2007.

1. yahoogoogle

yahoogoogle Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    alot of people report they had histology questions on the actual tests. just wondering if they just give you slides to identify or there's more varieties. there is alot of information that can fall into the category of histology, just wonder the depth of the questions. It's really not a big deal if they just throw in a few slides, but i just kinda worry the unspecified scope of this topic. I guess we'll get more light on this as more people take the test starting may.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cam-MSU

Cam-MSU Junior Member 2+ Year Member

May 17, 2006
    histology is anything under the category of 'microscopic anatomy' of which you will probably see function of wbc types or other phagocytic cells. Don't let the word HISTOLOGY freak you out, its no big deal

4. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    West of MLK
    it's not that big of a deal. they give you the slide of something you should be familiar with and are asked a question that you can relate to the histological slide. not the easiest question on the bio section, but far from the hardest.

best of luck, jb!:)

5. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2004
    histology on the dat what you talkig about??? i don't think it would be real histology.. just a cell with its organelles or something -- histology to me is more than just a cell.. but rather what type of cell what it does and stuff like that..

6. yahoogoogle

Jan 10, 2006

some people said that they had real slides like kidney, lung, liver cells etc

7. JohnDoeDDS

JohnDoeDDS Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2004
    JB can you give us a hint on where to study for this? I never had histology nor am I a science major and I have never seen anything similar to what you describe in kaplan... Im just asking because I might have to re-take and I want to make sure I do good.

8. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2004
    yea and they must of had a section of the brain and you had to identify the different tracks..

histology is dental school class.. it is not a pre-req nor tested on the dat!

9. yahoogoogle

Jan 10, 2006

this is not a joke. if you follow sdn carefully, you'll see several people mention they had histology slides, which, of course, nobody was expecting. plus it's not even dat season yet , and we'll see how everybody else goes

10. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    Texas
    Granted, things may have changed since I took it last June, but to my knowledge the only histology that is on the DAT (if you can even call it that) is stuff regarding what tissue layer something is derived from (i.e. endoderm, mesoderm, ectoderm).

11. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    West of MLK
    sorry i cant go into any more depth than that since it would be a violation of the ADA policy. however, look over major processes including major organs... think heart, kidney, etc.. if you understand how this stuff works and are familiar with a simple diagram of each then you should be cash$$$ :thumbup:

jb!:)

12. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I 2+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    Histology is the study of tissues, I would say study mesoderm, endoderm ectoderm etc.

13. JohnDoeDDS

JohnDoeDDS Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2004
    No prob. But can yo recommend a review book where this stuff is listed. I did not come across any of this stuff anywhere.