General Admissions & OTCAS New immigrant's question: is ranking important to a OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkilft999

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm 23 years old undergraduate student from Taiwan who just finished the Russian major degree and got the green card. Now I just feel like I'm swimming in the darkest place in the ocean losing direction... could you be my lighthouse?

I have a certificate B2 level of Russian language and got overall GPA a little bit higher than 3.9 in university. I was exchanged student in Peking University and studied in Moscow university's language center for 1 year. In the last year of uni. I represented Taiwan participating the Translation and Interpreting of Russian language in mainland China.

I think that I had good experience in college, but... I don't know if it can provide me an advantage to get in an OT school? In the beginning, I was considering OT schools in Texas, like UTEP, TTUH, TWU...( because I heard that TX is cheap to live and the average salary for OT is not bad)

Suddenly I found this forum and saw so many candidates who have a high pre-req GPA, GRE, and tons of volunteer hours. It really freaks me out... I really worry that maybe I won't have any chance to get in any OT school. I still have time to prepare for GRE and improve my English, but I don't think that I can do it as great as everyone did...I think the result of GRE maybe around 290,300 and AW3~3.5 ( average score for Taiwan students) and I'm not sure that there will be a hospital or clinic which is willing to give me a chance to be the volunteer notwithstanding I can't fluently speak English.

I got about 60 volunteer hours in a nursing house, although I had a really nice relationship with nursing house's elder members and PTs there( In Taiwan often PT need to handle OT's job at the same time..), again I think that it maybe can't really help me, especially there are only PTs...

As a result, I start to check OT schools which are on the bottom of the US NEWS OT schools ranking list, like New York Institute of Technology or Western New Mexico University, and surprisingly, I found that almost every school has more than 95% passing NBCOT rate. What is the difference between the high raking or low-ranking OT schools? Do I have a chance to get in a low ranking OT school and have a good job?

About pre-req, I'm still struggling to take the pre-req in Taiwan or community college in the US. In Taiwan, it will be cheaper and maybe I can get higher GPA, in the US I can improve my English and maybe seek the chance to become in-state student latter( but I think it will be hard in states like Texas because I won't have a full-time job)

All I want is to evenly finish the program, get a presentable job and maybe can earn money to afford my parent's trip around the world( I was a spoiled child, they really did a lot for me, I hope that they can retire and have a lavish life latter). Could you give me an advice? Think you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm 23 years old undergraduate student from Taiwan who just finished the Russian major degree and got the green card. Now I just feel like I'm swimming in the darkest place in the ocean losing direction... could you be my lighthouse?

I have a certificate B2 level of Russian language and got overall GPA a little bit higher than 3.9 in university. I was exchanged student in Peking University and studied in Moscow university's language center for 1 year. In the last year of uni. I represented Taiwan participating the Translation and Interpreting of Russian language in mainland China.

I think that I had good experience in college, but... I don't know if it can provide me an advantage to get in an OT school? In the beginning, I was considering OT schools in Texas, like UTEP, TTUH, TWU...( because I heard that TX is cheap to live and the average salary for OT is not bad)

Suddenly I found this forum and saw so many candidates who have a high pre-req GPA, GRE, and tons of volunteer hours. It really freaks me out... I really worry that maybe I won't have any chance to get in any OT school. I still have time to prepare for GRE and improve my English, but I don't think that I can do it as great as everyone did...I think the result of GRE maybe around 290,300 and AW3~3.5 ( average score for Taiwan students) and I'm not sure that there will be a hospital or clinic which is willing to give me a chance to be the volunteer notwithstanding I can't fluently speak English.

I got about 60 volunteer hours in a nursing house, although I had a really nice relationship with nursing house's elder members and PTs there( In Taiwan often PT need to handle OT's job at the same time..), again I think that it maybe can't really help me, especially there are only PTs...

As a result, I start to check OT schools which are on the bottom of the US NEWS OT schools ranking list, like New York Institute of Technology or Western New Mexico University, and surprisingly, I found that almost every school has more than 95% passing NBCOT rate. What is the difference between the high raking or low-ranking OT schools? Do I have a chance to get in a low ranking OT school and have a good job?

About pre-req, I'm still struggling to take the pre-req in Taiwan or community college in the US. In Taiwan, it will be cheaper and maybe I can get higher GPA, in the US I can improve my English and maybe seek the chance to become in-state student latter( but I think it will be hard in states like Texas because I won't have a full-time job)

All I want is to evenly finish the program, get a presentable job and maybe can earn money to afford my parent's trip around the world( I was a spoiled child, they really did a lot for me, I hope that they can retire and have a lavish life latter). Could you give me an advice? Think you!

Hi there! I can't speak on everything you're asking about but I will say this - Don't let this forum get you down! While there are so many people who have excellent GPAs and GRE scores and hundreds of volunteer hours, there are many people who get accepted to OT programs who don't have all those things. This forum can be so so helpful, but I totally understand how it can freak you out seeing so many posts of people who have stellar stats. It wouldn't hurt to search the posts and find those who have explained how they got into an OT program with lower GRE scores, low GPAs, etc. I'd say look into programs that encourage international students to apply, or schools that emphasize diversity among their students. Also, many schools look at students in a more holistic way meaning that the stats you have aren't everything. I've known a few OT students who had lower stats but had great life experience, work experience, and were able to emphasize their passion for OT through their personal statement and interview. I definitely don't think you need to start at the bottom of the US NEWS list.

That's admirable that you're hoping to provide a great experience for your family. Best of luck! I hope this helped! :)

Reactions: 1 users

They want diversity.. that’s exactly what you are. Do you best and apply. I have a suspicion that you will be accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I can't speak on everything you're asking about but I will say this - Don't let this forum get you down! While there are so many people who have excellent GPAs and GRE scores and hundreds of volunteer hours, there are many people who get accepted to OT programs who don't have all those things. This forum can be so so helpful, but I totally understand how it can freak you out seeing so many posts of people who have stellar stats. It wouldn't hurt to search the posts and find those who have explained how they got into an OT program with lower GRE scores, low GPAs, etc. I'd say look into programs that encourage international students to apply, or schools that emphasize diversity among their students. Also, many schools look at students in a more holistic way meaning that the stats you have aren't everything. I've known a few OT students who had lower stats but had great life experience, work experience, and were able to emphasize their passion for OT through their personal statement and interview. I definitely don't think you need to start at the bottom of the US NEWS list.

That's admirable that you're hoping to provide a great experience for your family. Best of luck! I hope this helped! :)

Thank you! Are you also trying to get into an OT school? Hope eventually we can do it!:)

They want diversity.. that’s exactly what you are. Do you best and apply. I have a suspicion that you will be accepted.

Thank you for the reply!:) I have heard that schools in the US. take the diversity into consideration, but as a person who lives in Taiwan, I don't really know how much they pay attention to this and to what extent they think it is important and even will they accept a student who doesn't have steller states as good as other candidates have...( I have checked dozens of OT schools' website, sometimes I saw " fair to all race or skin color without discrimination, but I only have seen a school which emphasizes that they will take the diversity into consideration)

But you really give me a new prospect, maybe I will need to focus on the schools which care about the diversity. Thank you so much! I will move forward.:)

Thank you for the reply!:) I have heard that schools in the US. take the diversity into consideration, but as a person who lives in Taiwan, I don't really know how much they pay attention to this and to what extent they think it is important and even will they accept a student who doesn't have steller states as good as other candidates have...( I have checked dozens of OT schools' website, sometimes I saw " fair to all race or skin color without discrimination, but I only have seen a school which emphasizes that they will take the diversity into consideration)

But you really give me a new prospect, maybe I will need to focus on the schools which care about the diversity. Thank you so much! I will move forward.:)
I got in with less than stellar stats. My gpa was torched by some personal issues I had to go through. But that’s why they have a personal statement. Cause they know your grades are a small portion of you are.

Also, the want people who are passionate about OT. Just let it all show!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Are you also trying to get into an OT school? Hope eventually we can do it!:)
Yes! I'm planning on applying for this cycle. I am a nontraditional applicant in that I have been working in a completely different field for the last 7 years but I'm making the career switch to OT. My GPA is less than a 3.5, my GRE scores are a combined 292 with a 4.0 on writing, and I only have a total of 80 shadowing hours because I have had such a hard time finding placement while working full time. That being said...my plan is to truly showcase my passion for OT through my personal statement and hopefully be invited for an interview where I can do the same. We all have different circumstances that have shaped and molded us to get to this point. The best we can do is TRY :)

In regard to schools saying they accept without discrimination, it's better understood in the sense that a school cannot flat out deny you admission because you are black, or white, or Asian, etc. In fact it's illegal. Many schools emphasize diversity among their students so that all students can learn from one another - their background, cultures, experiences, because after graduation they're hoping that graduates will go out into the workforce and be able to work with all kinds of people. Another thing schools are trying to do better at is recruiting diverse faculty and staff. I'm sure you will be a great addition to any school that hopes to do just this!

Yes! I'm planning on applying for this cycle. I am a nontraditional applicant in that I have been working in a completely different field for the last 7 years but I'm making the career switch to OT. My GPA is less than a 3.5, my GRE scores are a combined 292 with a 4.0 on writing, and I only have a total of 80 shadowing hours because I have had such a hard time finding placement while working full time. That being said...my plan is to truly showcase my passion for OT through my personal statement and hopefully be invited for an interview where I can do the same. We all have different circumstances that have shaped and molded us to get to this point. The best we can do is TRY :)

In regard to schools saying they accept without discrimination, it's better understood in the sense that a school cannot flat out deny you admission because you are black, or white, or Asian, etc. In fact it's illegal. Many schools emphasize diversity among their students so that all students can learn from one another - their background, cultures, experiences, because after graduation they're hoping that graduates will go out into the workforce and be able to work with all kinds of people. Another thing schools are trying to do better at is recruiting diverse faculty and staff. I'm sure you will be a great addition to any school that hopes to do just this!

Thank you! What you said about diversity really encourages me, I hope that you can eventually get into a decent school too:soexcited:

My friend got in two different schools with not the best statistics. She got a 275 (3.0 AW) on the GRE, and because of technicalities her GPA looked closer to a 3.0 rather than the 3.85 she actually had. I think as long as you get in some more shadowing experiences, you should be able to get into schools!! Try looking at brand new programs as well such as Lewis, North Park, and North Central (North park won't receive their starting accreditation until sometime next year). Not fully accredited programs are going to be easier to get into because not as many people want to take the chance on them. I will be attending a program in the fall that is not accredited yet (Lewis University in Romeoville IL), and I could not be more excited about it!! Best of luck to you, I am sure that all will work out!!

My friend got in two different schools with not the best statistics. She got a 275 (3.0 AW) on the GRE, and because of technicalities her GPA looked closer to a 3.0 rather than the 3.85 she actually had. I think as long as you get in some more shadowing experiences, you should be able to get into schools!! Try looking at brand new programs as well such as Lewis, North Park, and North Central (North park won't receive their starting accreditation until sometime next year). Not fully accredited programs are going to be easier to get into because not as many people want to take the chance on them. I will be attending a program in the fall that is not accredited yet (Lewis University in Romeoville IL), and I could not be more excited about it!! Best of luck to you, I am sure that all will work out!!

Hello!! Thank you for the advice, could you tell me, what is the difference between accredited schools and unaccredited schools? I thought that it will be necessary that graduating from an accredited school and then we will be qualified for joining the NBCOT test. Actually searching for schools, I was kind of worried because most Texas OT schools' accreditation will expire around 2020, I was thinking that it means if the committee doesn't accredit them again, the graduates can not join the test?

Hello!! Thank you for the advice, could you tell me, what is the difference between accredited schools and unaccredited schools? I thought that it will be necessary that graduating from an accredited school and then we will be qualified for joining the NBCOT test. Actually searching for schools, I was kind of worried because most Texas OT schools' accreditation will expire around 2020, I was thinking that it means if the committee doesn't accredit them again, the graduates can not join the test?
so basically unaccredited just means that they don't have the full accreditation yet, they just have candiacy status (sorry I'm a bad speller). By the time I graduate, Lewis University will be accredited fully. It is necessary to graduate from an accredited school to be able to take the NBCOT test. And I'm not 100% sure with the Texas schools, but I am sure that they will be visited by ACOTE sometime before then to become reaccredited. I think on ACOTE's website it says which schools are due for visits soon. Hope that helps!
Here's the link for the ACOTE visits in the next school year! https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corpor...t/Announcements/Visits/On-Sites-Fall-2018.pdf

so basically unaccredited just means that they don't have the full accreditation yet, they just have candiacy status (sorry I'm a bad speller). By the time I graduate, Lewis University will be accredited fully. It is necessary to graduate from an accredited school to be able to take the NBCOT test. And I'm not 100% sure with the Texas schools, but I am sure that they will be visited by ACOTE sometime before then to become reaccredited. I think on ACOTE's website it says which schools are due for visits soon. Hope that helps!
Here's the link for the ACOTE visits in the next school year!

Thank you a lot!! :) Could you also clue me that how you tell the school that will have the full accreditation or not in the future? and is it normal that they sweep any accredited school out of the list after the visit? I think that it will be very bad if I'm just going to finish the school and find that I can't join the test because the school just lost their accreditation.:bigtears:

Thank you:)

Thank you a lot!! :) Could you also clue me that how you tell the school that will have the full accreditation or not in the future? and is it normal that they sweep any accredited school out of the list after the visit? I think that it will be very bad if I'm just going to finish the school and find that I can't join the test because the school just lost their accreditation.:bigtears:

Thank you:)
I have never heard of a school not receiving accreditation by the time their first class graduates. ACOTE works very closely with the schools in order to make sure that they get through the process okay. I'm taking a chance with Lewis University because I will be in their first class, and their accreditation will hopefully be going through by the end of the program. Hope that helps!

I have never heard of a school not receiving accreditation by the time their first class graduates. ACOTE works very closely with the schools in order to make sure that they get through the process okay. I'm taking a chance with Lewis University because I will be in their first class, and their accreditation will hopefully be going through by the end of the program. Hope that helps!

Thank you a lot!! It really helps me:)