New Integration Model at Brown University - Rhode Island Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedayman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am one of the residents at Brown University - Rhode Island Hospital PRS Dept and I wanted to put a quick post up spreading the word about some changes at Brown and inviting medical students to apply for rotations/residency here.

1. New integration model - First three years split 6 months on PRS service and 6 months of focused General Surgery (focused to Vascular, Trauma, ICU, Pediatrics, and Acute Care Surgery) each year. This means 18 months of Gen Surg over the course of residency and 4.5 years of PRS. First three years have dedicated rotations in Ophtho, ENT, Neurosurg, Ortho Hand, Ortho Trauma, TPN, Anesthesia, and Derm. While on Gen Surg you are still the property of the PRS department and attend PRS conferences.
2. Newly revamped didactic courses - Weekly PRS Trauma conference, Hand Conference (combined with Ortho), Grand rounds, Chairman's forum (our Chairman goes over that weeks PSEN slides and quiz with us). Monthly Burn and Craniofacial interdisciplinary conference (with ENT, OMFS, Audiology, Ophtho, etc). All of these conferences are attending driven, so it isn't your co-resident teaching you.
3. Addition of a full-time Microsurgeon. We are pleased to welcome Dr. Daniel Kwan, a microsurgeon trained at U Chicago who is ramping up the number of free tissue transfers at Brown.
4. Last three years of PRS with dedicated rotations in Adult Recon, Hand, Craniofacial, Cosmetics, VA (general PRS), and General PRS. Brown is one of the few programs that allows PGY 4-6s to do one month each year of independently directed study, usually where a resident spends a month at a different institution (presumably where they want to grab a fellowship spot) or doing international work (OpSmile, etc).

Let me know if you have any questions. And best of luck to the applicants this year.

Members don't see this ad.