new intern schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microscp2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program emailed 8 schedules for us to rank from 1-8 in order of preference. I have a family so want to be at least in thanksgiving and christmas with them. One of the schedule have an Ortho rotation around those dates. My question is, you guys think that is like an outpatient rotation which would be perfect, or in FM we will have to cover floor for ortho? which other rotation could be light around the holidays? choices are Peds ER, Peds ward, womens health, MICU, Internal medicine and Trauma. I know should stay away trauma,peds er, or any other floor month which seems to be everything else:(. Please help.Need to respond by tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick Peds ER personally. At least in ER rotations you have a predictable start/stop time and do not have to worry about call.

Don't expect to have both thanskgiving and christmas off as an intern. You will need to decide which is more important of the two. When I was chief, I tried to spread the holiday's out and each intern took one to cover.

I don't forsee you having to cover ortho by yourself in a family practice residency. Peds ER could go either way - totally slammed, or totally dead on the holidays. Where I went to residency the only rotation we had to round on for the holidays was medicine.

I would think women's health would be light as well. Especially if its a clinic rotation then the clinic will be closed for the holiday

Members don't see this ad :)
Opposed or unopposed program?

If you're unopposed, chances are during holidays you only have to cover the services you run. If you're opposed, you'll have to do whatever the team says, which as an off-service resident, you can bet you'll get the holidays.

Best bet is outpatient rotations, because clinics will be closed. If you're unopposed, you may get pulled to cover your own inpatient service. On shiftwork rotation, like ER, you may end up getting that shift (or not), and if you do, you can't go home early whereas on wards, if you do have to work, you may get out early.

Agree with above though, don't expect anything. If it's THAT important to you, ask your chief for Thanksgiving but offer to work Christmas and/or New Years. Give & take.

Opposed or unopposed program?

If you're unopposed, chances are during holidays you only have to cover the services you run. If you're opposed, you'll have to do whatever the team says, which as an off-service resident, you can bet you'll get the holidays.

Best bet is outpatient rotations, because clinics will be closed. If you're unopposed, you may get pulled to cover your own inpatient service. On shiftwork rotation, like ER, you may end up getting that shift (or not), and if you do, you can't go home early whereas on wards, if you do have to work, you may get out early.

Agree with above though, don't expect anything. If it's THAT important to you, ask your chief for Thanksgiving but offer to work Christmas and/or New Years. Give & take.
. Input unopposed program interns don't work any holidays. Second andthird years work one holiday depending on the importance of the holiday based on culture/religion/family. I worked memorial day this year. A Muslim guy worked Christmas. A guy with a family that doesn't drink who hates new years eve worked nye. There are 15residents 10 of which are 2nd and 3rd years. We generally only cover the fm service on holidays. I took off Christmas all the way to past new years my intern year. We have a 400 bed hospital with a 25 bed icu. Admits are divided up betwen hospitalist and fm service usually 2 hospitalist admits per 1 fm except for 1 resident patients that go to the fm service. Call is "from home".