New Jersey/New York medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Papillomavirus

I was just wondering what my chances were in New Jersey/New York medical schools since I will be applying June 2009. (Am a New Jersey resident)

My overall GPA is at 3.67 right now and hoping to ace my spring semester for a overall of 3.74. My science GPA is 3.63 and my major GPA is at 3.79 in Biomed. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (sigh) but I am hoping for a minimum 33 with each section at around 11. My practice exams have been pretty consistent so I have my fingers crossed.
My EC's are not too great but I am working on it.
I worked in the Emergency department for about 180 hours and working in neuro/cardio surgical rooms ( currently ) aiming for around 120 hours. I have other non clinical volunteering/work experiences such as teaching and tutoring. Since I am taking a year off after I graduate May2009, I am planning to increase my hours in EC's via working or volunteering.
I hope I will be more motivated with your comments while I am studying...(Staring down at my examkracker book right now....)

Let me know! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously the MCAT is going to make or break the answer, but if you score a 30+ I see you having a good chance at your NJ state schools. 34+ makes you more attractive to the manhattan schools, as well as strong ECs.

Personally as a NY resident, I don't see any real luck at getting into the two schools in Jersey.
They both have well over 90% in state students.

NY state schools take slightly less in state students and so I think you should put all your eggs into the chances of going to NJ schools. But def try to apply broadly and that would include both state and private NY schools. I think your chances are just as good as you applying anywhere else in the country. Being a closeby state doesnt really help as much as I thought,... in the case of the northeast.

Maybe if you were from CO, you could have a big chance at a school in NB, heh.

Members don't see this ad :)
most NYC schools are private and show no state preference so you have the same chance as someone from NJ or TX as someone from NY. NY state schools also do not show a preference for NY residents in selection (but most of the students are from NY state).

So, since the OP is from NJ, you have a good shot at your state school and a good shot at all of the NY schools as well. The only possible benefit to being in a nearby state only really shows itself if you state one of the reasons you are interested in the school is because you would like to be close to home or it is an ideal distance from home... but in NYC this doesn't hold much weight since there are so many NY schools.

most NYC schools are private and show no state preference so you have the same chance as someone from NJ or TX as someone from NY. NY state schools also do not show a preference for NY residents in selection (but most of the students are from NY state).

So, since the OP is from NJ, you have a good shot at your state school and a good shot at all of the NY schools as well. The only possible benefit to being in a nearby state only really shows itself if you state one of the reasons you are interested in the school is because you would like to be close to home or it is an ideal distance from home... but in NYC this doesn't hold much weight since there are so many NY schools.

NY state schools interview a much higher % of in-state students than out of state students so they absolutely show a preference for NY residents. That initial cut is the most important.

I interviewed at almost all of the SUNYs and they all said they had no IS preference. I looked through my MSAR and it seems that ISers do have an advantage on getting interviews so I guess when they say no in state preference they might mean after the initial cut.

really? a new york state school said they dont have in state preference? I cannot understand how that would be true if more than 80% of the students are in state... there are some state schools that are really prob 50/50 but that reflects in their student data.

that actually kind of sucks for me since i am banking on having huge in state preffy, boo.

don't worry too much about it

i cry myself to sleep thinking about in and out of state status.
but to be honest i will push for nyu and it wouldnt really help that im from the area... so bummer.

has anyone from NY heard about the chances of going to either of the schools in Jersey? Is it even worth applying? They are like 90% + in state according to MSAR.

has anyone from NY heard about the chances of going to either of the schools in Jersey? Is it even worth applying? They are like 90% + in state according to MSAR.

applying to them would just be a waste of money...their MSAR stats are basically the same as the SUNYs so if you don't get an interview where you have in state preference (in the initial cut) then it is highly unlikely that you'll get an interview at a comparable state school where you are OOS