New Jersey Psychology Internship Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabeme33

Reaction score
I can’t get a clear understanding from the board website.
Do I need 1,000 direct contact hours for internship/pre-doc?
What constitutes direct contact?

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t speak for NJ, but typically direct contact means you were actually talking/speaking with a client (therapy, psychoed class, administering testing).

So it would NOT be scoring a test, writing a report, writing case notes, speaking with a supervisor or colleague about a client, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
N E W J E R S E Y A D M I N I S T R AT I V E C O D E

T I T L E 1 3

L A W A N D P U B L I C S A F E T Y

C H A P T E R 4 2

B O A R D O F P S Y C H O L O G I C A L E X A M I N E R S

SUBCHAPTER 4.

SUPERVISION OF CANDIDATES FOR LICENSURE

13:42-4.1 AMOUNT OF SUPERVISION REQUIRED

a) An applicant for licensure shall be required to document the competent performance of at

least two years of full time or full time equivalent supervised experience in the practice of

psychology, at least one year of which shall have been completed subsequent to the

applicant's receipt of his or her doctoral degree.

b) The equivalent of one year of full-time supervised experience shall be a minimum of 1,750

hours. The 1,750 hours shall include:

1) One thousand client contact hours completed in accordance with the limitations provided

in N.J.A.C. 13:42-3.6(f);

2) Two hundred hours of supervision. At least 100 hours shall be individual face-to-face

supervision; the remaining 100 hours may be individual or group supervision. The ratio

shall be one hour of supervision for each five hours of client contact per week; and

3) Five hundred fifty hours in other work-related activities such as recordkeeping,

consultations, report writing, etc.