New Jersey Transit Cell Phone Use

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SpiresAAC, Jul 22, 2006.

1. SpiresAAC

SpiresAAC New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, sorry to post something totally unrelated to med school, but I have a question that I thought someone from the Dirty Jerse might be able to answer. I was recently riding a NJ transit bus from NJ into NYC, and the bus driver yelled at me for talking on my cell phone and told me to get off the phone. Is it illegal for a rider to talk on the cell phone in a NJ transit bus or was this driver out of her jurisdiction?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. as06

as06 Member

Pre-Medical

Weird. I've never had problems on the trains and I'd be surprised if the bus is a different story...

4. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up

Pre-Medical
    It's not illegal to talk on the phone on NJ Transit buses or trains but you are expected to be courteous about it (i.e. not talk too loudly or too long, etc). There are other people around you and some of them do not like to have to listen to conversations, especially if they're trying to sleep, so if the driver felt like you were being a nuisance to the bus overall, he is within his rights to tell you to get off the phone. From what I know and from what you described, you apparently were either talking too loud or for too long. Just exercise some common sense and think about how you come off to others, and then everything will work itself out.

5. SpiresAAC

SpiresAAC New Member

Pre-Medical
    I was only on the phone for a minute when the driver yelled at me,"Young lady, you need to get off the cell phone right now!" I was seated in the back of the bus, so she had to say it over the loud speaker in order for me to hear her. It was the middle of the day, and there were only a handful of other people on the bus. In general, I am very courteous with my cell phone use in public, and I was surprised by her not-so-courteous demand for me to get off the phone. That's why I thought maybe it was not allowed. Perhaps I will just try again and see what happens!

6. defrunner

defrunner I'm Greased Up

Pre-Medical
    Oh, well when you explain it that way, then that's weird... I don't know really; that is an overreaction on her part. I haven't taken the NJ Transit buses in a while so maybe it's just a rule change recently or something. But whenever I'm back home in Jersey and I go somewhere, talking on the cell while riding the train is no problem. Heck, I'll give you a more extreme example -- I've brought a case of beer on the train with my best friend before a Yankee game and we pregamed on the hour ride up (note to all who do this: be sure to hit the bathroom up before taking the subway because the subway is a half hour ride from Penn Station and it is no fun if you need to go number 1). Drinking on the train is allowed, talking on the cell is allowed, and by extension, I hardly think that such a major rule change is in effect for the NJ Transit buses. Maybe this bus driver was having a bad day or something but it sounds like she overstepped her bounds. Go for it again; screw it. I hate when people go on power trips like that.

7. as06

as06 Member

Pre-Medical
    Ever been on the NJT Northeast Corridor out of Penn Station after a Rangers game? If they allow the beer/rowdiness/noise there, cell phone usage should be the least of their concerns! Screw it indeed.

8. hopster

hopster Member

It has been my experience that there are a LOT of really bitter new jersey transit employees that get off on enforcing the stupidest little rules. There are some really nice ones too though, however they are in the minority.

9. VPDcurt

VPDcurt 2K Member

Attending Physician
    I agree that this is pretty ridiculous; however, the fact that you were in the back of the bus and the driver knew that you were on the cell phone probably means that you were talking at a pretty high volume (correct me if I'm wrong). I also agree that some of those drivers get off on enforcing some lame rules...if that's even a rule.