New Jersey vs New York state residency before applying to med schoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aladd1n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am originally from New Jersey but am out of school now, working and living in New York.

Would it be advantageous for me to apply more as a New York or New Jersey resident? I wouldn't apply attending school in either state..

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am originally from New Jersey but am out of school now, working and living in New York.

Would it be advantageous for me to apply more as a New York or New Jersey resident? I wouldn't apply attending school in either state..

Thanks for your input!

Advantageous as in...most in-stater friendly schools? Or most prestigious schools? Or...?

New York has 12 schools to choose from. Problem solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in general... both private and public schools.

Thanks for your input!

I'm looking into allopathic schools in both New Jersey and New York. May I ask why you hate NJ?

I'm looking into allopathic schools in both New Jersey and New York. May I ask why you hate NJ?

My grandma lives there and I have to visit often. Atleast the part I have to go to is like the most boring place on the planet.

I did my fellowship there. Here is why *I* hated it:

- it was dirty
- full of grifters (political and general population trying to rip you off)
- roads in terrible condition
- takes forever to get anywhere because of traffic
- hard to get insurance because of so many bad drivers and accidents
- expensive
- weather; hot humid summers and cold winters
- city workers or pretty much anyone in a service industry could be counted on to be rude
- populace wouldn't recognize fresh vegetables or fruit if you hit them over the head with it (actually had a guy at the grocery store tell me he didn't know what an avocado was when I asked for them)
- Jersey Shore types

I loved my fellowship and the hospital. If it had only been someplace else, I would have stayed.

- it was dirty
- expensive
- city workers or pretty much anyone in a service industry could be counted on to be rude
- populace wouldn't recognize fresh vegetables or fruit if you hit them over the head with it (actually had a guy at the grocery store tell me he didn't know what an avocado was when I asked for them)
- Jersey Shore types

I loved my fellowship and the hospital. If it had only been someplace else, I would have stayed.
Hello and thanks for your input! Do you have any advice regarding which would be most friendly to in-staters?

- it was dirty
- expensive
- Jersey Shore types

LOL my wife's family is from jersey and they are definitely a meat and potato kinda people. Thankfully my wife didn't pick up this cultural idiosyncrasy. :laugh:

LOL my wife's family is from jersey and they are definitely a meat and potato kinda people. Thankfully my wife didn't pick up this cultural idiosyncrasy. :laugh:

:thumbup:

With the exception of places like Wegman's (which you paid a premium for), regular grocery stores had the sorriest collection of fruits and vegetables which were rotting half the time.

That being said, I miss the good Italian food which could be had there.

Hello and thanks for your input! Do you have any advice regarding which would be most friendly to in-staters?

Do you happen to have the MSAR? You can look at the numbers for yourself, and see the % of in-staters that get interviews from respective schools.

Do you happen to have the MSAR? You can look at the numbers for yourself, and see the % of in-staters that get interviews from respective schools.
Thanks for your input!!

- it was dirty
- expensive
- Jersey Shore types

DMV? :p

Last edited:
yes NJ sucks but all of the medical schools have heavy in-state preference.. and now with 3 MD and 1 DO school being an NJ resident is good