New job to facilitate school and working out finances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew N

Military to Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current job at about 70 hours a week is not very school friendly. I work in a plant as a technician and make excellent pay due to all the OT. Gross income is about 90k/yr - my background is some computer experience, maintenance, welding, basic programming (not enough to do freelance software engineering) and 5 years of avionics in the military. I want to give it all up for something more school friendly because I would like to be able to attend school full time and focus on making good grades and studying for the MCAT. I will receive benefits for my military service including the GI bill that will total up to about 3300/month. I would like to find something to cover an additional 1700/mo and make my net income about 5k/mo so that I don't have to put my wife and kids through any radical life changes like pulling them out of sports or downsizing the house. We're a family of 5. One of my other struggles thinking ahead is.. how will I pay for medical school AND support the family? I suppose it's pretty normal for people to just finance it, but I have the GI bill that will pay 100% of any school for 36 months of my choosing.. it almost makes me feel as if the better option would be financing undergrad and using the GI bill to cover the 3/4 of med school that it would. If I were to decide to do that, I would need to make 2900/mo instead of 1700/mo, which means I'm back to working full time - in which case I may as well just keep my current job.

It's a very frustrating thought process I've been going through. Any advice from other successful non-trads is greatly appreciated! It seems as if the most logical option is doing undergrad part time and continuing to work 40-80 hours a week. I've considered asking my wife to work part time, but she doesn't have the resume and experience to make enough to off set the cost of child care.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I may have a solution. My wife's family has a business. They would hire my wife and I. Since we're family it would be extremely flexible. She would work in an office and I would drive a repo truck part time. 45 minutes down the road from there is University of North Carolina at Wilmington, where I could have the flexibility of going to school full time and working. Maybe classes in the mornings and work in the evenings. Our income would be about 5500/month net during the school year and about $1300 less per month on months I'm not in school as VA benefits will stop between semesters. Then obviously I could use the free time for volunteer work, clinical experience and of course - working to supplement that lost income.

Sounds good on paper but that requires moving across 3 states, being farther from my side of the family, and then being uncomfortably close to my in laws... arguably the worst part. Sort of stressful considering I just moved here for this job 7 months ago thinking I would still be able to squeeze school in.

Just thinking out loud. I still have a year before my rental lease is up so I will probably try a semester here part time or as much as I can handle with the little free time and energy I have and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you take the loans for allowable living expenses (anywhere from 20ish-35ish) depending on the school and your wife gets a job and you live like you are poor, because you will be

NHSC has a program that gives a stipend but you lock yourself into primary care, national guard doesn't pay tuition but has a stipend with a VERY long service obligation, active duty pays tuition and stipend but then you are stuck in the military for residency and 4ish years, I believe the VA was working up a program that would pay like the HPSP (might be worth looking in to)

short version is loans unless you want someone taking their pound of flesh from you later

you take the loans for allowable living expenses (anywhere from 20ish-35ish) depending on the school and your wife gets a job and you live like you are poor, because you will be

NHSC has a program that gives a stipend but you lock yourself into primary care, national guard doesn't pay tuition but has a stipend with a VERY long service obligation, active duty pays tuition and stipend but then you are stuck in the military for residency and 4ish years, I believe the VA was working up a program that would pay like the HPSP (might be worth looking in to)

short version is loans unless you want someone taking their pound of flesh from you later

Yeah. I looked into these in addition to the Navy HSCP. After 5 years of active duty and 2 deployments I really don't want that kind of obligation hanging over my head again. I think I have several solid options for finishing undergrad but it will take a few more years - so maybe by then the VA will have come up with something better. I mean we could even tighten the belt a little, be without the BAH in undergrad and save the post 9/11 benefits for med school - I'd just have to work more hours during undergrad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile