New Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalltownpsych

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just accepted a position as a clinical director at a residential treatment program so am moving out of this god-forsaken part of the country to a place that people actually want to live. :) For the last four years I have been grinding out psychotherapy sessions with a few assessments here and there and am officially burned out. I am so excited to get back to a team environment in a supervisory capacity. Will also get to do groups again which is something I have missed. I left a job like this four years ago in order to pay down debt and have accomplished much of that and although I will have a decrease in my overall compensation, it will be worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
I just accepted a position as a clinical director at a residential treatment program so am moving out of this god-forsaken part of the country to a place that people actually want to live. :) For the last four years I have been grinding out psychotherapy sessions with a few assessments here and there and am officially burned out. I am so excited to get back to a team environment in a supervisory capacity. Will also get to do groups again which is something I have missed. I left a job like this four years ago in order to pay down debt and have accomplished much of that and although I will have a decrease in my overall compensation, it will be worth it.

Don't want to say I told you so...but, I....

I remember you were making really good monies on that model, however? How does it feel to have your time and emotions back as your own though?

We were just redoing the household budget this month (after tax season, haha) and contemplating the possibility of more side consulting or clinical work for me given we have 2 entering Catholic school this year (I'm pretty steady at 40-45/week with my current flexible schedule). Came to Dave R's conclusion of "more money, same problems...."

I don't pretend to be a money expert beyond the perils of debt, but I do like not working more and just being smarter with our money this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will also get to do groups again which is something I have missed.

Might want to be vigilant about that. You're a company man now.

It sad that in this profession, you can make more moving the meat than you can supervising the meat moving.

Don't want to say I told you so...but, I....

I remember you were making really good monies on that model, however? How does it feel to have your time and emotions back as your own though?

We were just redoing the household budget this month (after tax season, haha) and contemplating the possibility of more side consulting or clinical work for me given we have 2 entering Catholic school this year (I'm pretty steady at 40-45/week with my current flexible schedule). Came to Dave R's conclusion of "more money, same problems...."

I don't pretend to be a money expert beyond the perils of debt, but I do like not working more and just being smarter with our money this year.
I don't remember if you ever told me so directly or not ;), but I do remember you making a similar choice to eschew money for sanity. I can't wait to get back to enjoying what I do and only having maybe ten individual sessions a week and spending a lot of time with supervision. It is so much easier to just teach the young'uns how it's done than to have to do all the work myself.

It will be more like a small city...about 60k and close to a small metro area of about 500k. As opposed to the 10k town about 2 hours from a city of about 60k.

Did you live in the Ozarks, Wyoming, Montana or in some area of southern Alabama?

Showing my geographical knowledge....

Thats great news for you! About 4 years ago I traded an amazingly stressful senior admin position with a 1-1.75 hour commute (depending on traffic) for a job basically playing with toddlers with a 15-20 minute commute (depending on whether or not I want to go over the mountain or take the highway). It involve a 20% cut in salary. I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been able to make up some of the pay difference with adjuncting and productivity bonuses. More time with family and more time fishing! Best of luck to you.

Congratulations!!! Don't go changing your username, though. Always remember where you came from. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! A loss for the place you are leaving as it sounds from your previous posts that you were one of a few who did quality treatment. Good for you for finding a position that you are excited about and uses your skills and expertise!

Did you live in the Ozarks, Wyoming, Montana or in some area of southern Alabama?

Showing my geographical knowledge....
Montana. :) In a remote place far from any of the scenic beauty. :( This move will put us back in the mountains and trees and lakes that we so enjoy.

....10k town? You just... but... you made a living as a psychologist in a town that size?!!!!!
I had patients driving from as far away as two hours. The hospital served a cachement area of about 45k people. We had three psychologists on staff. Plenty of work to do. There is a job opening now for my replacement. Eligible for loan repayment and can make 120-150k a year depending on how efficient you are. Cost of living is low. We bought a decent house for 150k. Could be a great opportunity for someone who went to one of those high debt schools so long as you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere for a few years. Keep in mind though that Montana has very strict requirements for licensing so need APA-accredited program and internship.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!!!