New limit to how many times you can take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amski10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard rumors that there is now a limit to how many times one can take the DAT. Has anyone else heard this? And if you have, how does this come into play for those who have already taken the DAT before this rule?

Members don't see this ad.

taking the exam 10 times isn't gonna help you get in any dental school anyway. If you screw up once, it's probably okay...twice, a little less acceptable, and 3 times? Most people get it done once, so if you can't get it done in 3 tries, it probably means that you just don't have what it takes to get through dental school. Just study hard and get it done on the first or second try, and you won't have to worry about running out of your chances.

Most schools really just care about the last score.

It doesnt look that great if you have taken it more than 3 times, but if you score significantly higher, they will still consider you.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Important Announcement—DAT Testing Eligibility Policy Update NEW!

Effective January 2007, examinees who have attended three or more DAT exams must apply for special permission to take the test again. For test administration purposes, anyone who has been seated at a computer workstation at a Prometric Test Center and started the exam by electronically agreeing to the confidentiality statement will be deemed to have “attended” the exam. This policy is effective beginning January 2007 and includes any previous examination attempts. Requests for additional testing must be submitted in writing to the Department of Testing Services and must include evidence of current (within the previous 18 months) intent to apply to dental school. Acceptable forms of evidence may include: 1) a copy of a completed and submitted application to dental school, 2) a letter of rejection from a dental school, 3) a letter from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest or reapply, or 4) a letter on school stationary from a college or university health profession advisor or instructor verifying that you are applying/reapplying to dental school. "

Thanks for the input. I hope to take it in late august and do well enough to not have to take it again. I just think I hurt myself by taking the test without full effort and not doing well before when there was no limit. I guess the thought of not being able to take it again just adds to my stress.