New LizzyM Formula for 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aich

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on what we know, what do you guys think the new LizzyM formula will be?

Old LizzyM: MCAT + 10 * GPA

Scaling leads me to believe that it will either be:

((MCAT - 468)*(3/4)) + (10 * GPA)
(old cutoffs)

or

MCAT + (GPA*(40/3) + 468)
(new cutoffs)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
With a thread title like that, I didn't expect simple speculation. I am disappoint!

Reactions: 6 users

(old cutoffs)

or

(new cutoffs)

You can always convert your 2015 MCAT to the old MCAT score by using percentile rank to interconvert. Then you can use the current LizzyM.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With a thread title like that, I didn't expect simple speculation. I am disappoint!

Were you expecting a differential equation?

Reactions: 5 users
@LizzyM has said before that she'll think of something when the time comes, though I like @pyrrion89's idea.

I'm beginning to think that this will be more math than I can do in my head. Perhaps it will be time for me to hang it up.
This isn't the first instance where you hinted at something like leaving or retiring as an adcom member.

I'm beginning to think that this will be more math than I can do in my head. Perhaps it will be time for me to hang it up.

But that's exactly what the AAMC wants.

Why do you think they're changing the scoring scale, anyway? It's obviously to mess with your formula.

Damn the man! Fight the power!

Reactions: 2 users

(old cutoffs)

or

(new cutoffs)

This formulation works out quite well. It's hard for someone to do in their head, but very simple and easy to use for a spreadsheet. We could use percentiles to convert back to an old MCAT score (out of 45), but the above should get you pretty close to the same thing without having to consult a table (because both tests are normalized you should be able to do a linear conversion between the two without much error).

Reactions: 1 user
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo @LizzyM stay with us :(

This formulation works out quite well. It's hard for someone to do in their head, but very simple and easy to use for a spreadsheet. We could use percentiles to convert back to an old MCAT score (out of 45), but the above should get you pretty close to the same thing without having to consult a table (because both tests are normalized you should be able to do a linear conversion between the two without much error).

I definitely think it's easier than interpolating between two tables especially if the percentiles change / don't match up.

I took this as hanging up the current formula. Please don't leave us. :(

Oh, this is interesting. I didn't know the new MCAT had a different scoring system now. Reminds me of the nat'l medical admissions test where I'm from where each section has a maximum of 800 with a midpoint of 500. There are 8 parts: Verbal, Reasoning, Quantitative Analaysis, Perceptual Acuity, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Social Sciences.

Scores are traditionally reported as percentiles.

I did particularly well on my NMAT. Keeping my hopes high that the similarity in test subjects of the new MCAT would translate into success for my MCAT too!